Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox sports 2 needs to be in HD

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   siwsiw

siwsiw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Can someone form the Dirt team take my request to add the HD version of Fox sports 2 (ch 398).
This channel is not watchable in SD.
  • shadalert likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

Was going to say the same thing, I want my Speed ch back.

This finger was not made to press 1 for english

#3 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

I have passed along a request for both of you regarding that channel in HD!

• dish556 likes this

Tommy Faust
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Wednesday 6:00a-5:00p (MST)

#4 OFFLINE   dukiebluedoc

dukiebluedoc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Me three,needs to be in HD.

#5 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

You got it! I have sent one in for you too, Dukiebluedoc.

Tommy Faust

#6 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Same here. How do things such as his not just happen? It's sometimes as though those in charge are clueless.

#7 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Same here. How do things such as his not just happen? It's sometimes as though those in charge are clueless.

When the channels switched over, all they did was re-brand their name and change some programming. Our previous contracts with them remained the same. We would need to reach an agreement for the HD station before we can broadcast it. We do appreciate the requests though. :)

Tommy Faust

#8 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

When the channels switched over, all they did was re-brand their name and change some programming. Our previous contracts with them remained the same. We would need to reach an agreement for the HD station before we can broadcast it. We do appreciate the requests though. :)

Understand totally. There was plenty of warning of this comimg up so maybe something could have been worked out ahead of time was my point. Appreciate your help.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

In this particular case, FOX seemed to overvalue itself and neither Dish nor DirecTV nor Time Warner wanted to create new contracts with FOX for these channels... so basically FOX just agreed to supply their new channels under the old contracts.

I'm sure IF these channels find an audience, FOX will ask for more, including HD feeds whenever the current contract ends.

Of course, FOX could have thrown the HD bone in to this current contract if they wanted...  but I expect they wanted to charge more and since nobody was biting, they decided to wait and dangle that carrot later.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

Do we really need another long thread about "channels I want in HD"?  We all want all the channels in HD.  I'm sure Dish knows that.  

#11 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

We need FEWER HD channels and we need to eliminate ALL SD channels.

This would allow for better PQ on the HD channels that are left and better quality of programming.

The days of more and more channels must end, we are now getting more and more crap instead of more and more channels HD or not.

• VDP07 and Rduce like this
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

That is a DISH problem as they arent really expanding capacity as fast as they are channel count.....There are always going to be more channels to offer, it is up to the providers to keep up with demand capacity.

#13 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

Barring further technical developments, Both Dish and DirecTV are approaching capacity, there are a limited number of TP's at each orbital = limited number of channels that can be carried without degrading picture quality even more than already is done.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

DISH has about 10 slots left if they don't open up a new western arc transponder or put more channels on each transponder. There is already two transponders on the western arc (one on the eastern arc) with 10 HD channels on one transponder. Is the current compression good enough to let that happen without complaint?

There won't be new HD until DISH finds the space for them. There is one vacant western arc transponder if they are willing to put it to use (although DISH likes to have a hot spare available where they can throw a set of channels in case a transponder goes down).

Looking at the possibility that in negotiations ABC/ESPN may demand HD carriage of the channels DISH carried without permission (per the court ruling) a few years back and Fox may demand FS2 be in HD when that contract ends there is not a lot of space left.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yeah... I was kind of thinking that Dish probably has enough space to add the Disney/ESPN HD channels if that negotiation goes well... but wasn't thinking there was a lot of room to spare after that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#16 OFFLINE   MattE303

MattE303

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

You got it! I have sent one in for you too, Dukiebluedoc.

Please add me as well, DirecTV has had this channel in HD for quite a while now, and the SD feed for it on DISH is *unwatchable*!!!

#17 OFFLINE   Bubba3

Bubba3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

One more vote in favor of Fox Sports 2 going HD>

#18 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have yet to find a single thing worth watching on this channel and do not want to pay for any more junk.   I already have tons of channels with just junk.

#19 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

I have yet to find a single thing worth watching on this channel and do not want to pay for any more junk.   I already have tons of channels with just junk.

Others feel that way about channels you watch and want. One man's junk is...

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

Everything should be in HD ... at a reasonable price. At the moment Fox wants more for the channel than they are already being paid, in combination with more for Fox Sports 1 and probably more for every other Fox channel on the system.

The current stalemate agreement is to carry what DISH carries now in the positions and packages where DISH has them now and in the resolutions that DISH has now. The good news is we get the channels in some form ... the bad news is that stalemates can end in channels being removed.

Personally I prefer a stalemate with channels still carried than losing any Fox channel. So I'll put up with FS2 in SD. But I know everything should be in HD. And one day FS2 will be on DISH in HD.
  • shadalert likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...