Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Extending wireless

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Is there a simple way to extend wireless via an ethernet wire? Everything I've seen via Google is way complex. I have an ATT U-verse Pace modem, and a number of Netgear routers, and an Apple Airport. I don't want to interfere with Whole Home internet connections, just provide an outlet for wireless in a room that's too far away from the current modem/router. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,923 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

You can put an access point (or router with DHCP off and connect via LAN port) on Ethernet cable -  just use the same SSID (I'm assuming same G or N or both) and security  key but be sure the wireless channels are different.

With overlapping coverage, they hand off to the stronger signal, much like cell phones.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

I've got a pair of Airport Extremes configured like http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

I use the same channel numbers on both.

#4 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Wireless access points are great! I run 3 here at Hacienda del Toro in addition to the router's wireless. The APs are off of workgroup switches in strategic locations for best overall coverage. Since I went with the ASUS RTN-66U router and ASUS EA66N WAPS I can let them manage the channels themselves even.

They are a bit of a bitch kitty to first configure though due to lack of detailed documentation but essentially simple. Other brands may be far easier.

I recommend the switch route so you still have available wired Ethernet access after installing the WAP for those devices mot wireless equipped.

Set up so my home has full signal coverage throughout and as a bonus, I can stream my Direct TV iPhone app while mowing the acres around the home. Great for sporting events while you work.

Don "excess is moral imperative" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,923 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Are you sure they're using the same channel?  The screen shots show Automatic.

InSSider will confirm Channels.  If the overlap is too much, the same channel will cause interference.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Are you sure they're using the same channel?  The screen shots show Automatic.

InSSider will confirm Channels.  If the overlap is too much, the same channel will cause interference.

Yep, have the same channels specified on both rather than auto. I've had no troubles.

I have better instruction link saved at home I'll post later. Of course this is for Apple equipment. The non-obvious trick was not to select 'extend the network' on the second router as that extends the first routers WiFi instead of using the wired connection.

#7 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yes. The ASUS WAPs I referred to defaulted as extenders which merely relay wireless traffic via the wireless. Only as good as it's signal strength from the points of origin.

It can be configured as a Wireless Access Point OR a wireless bridge in addition to the extender. A bit pricey but most effective and very flexible.

Don "wireless is most impressive these days" Bolton

Yep, have the same channels specified on both rather than auto. I've had no troubles.

I have better instruction link saved at home I'll post later. Of course this is for Apple equipment. The non-obvious trick was not to select 'extend the network' on the second router as that extends the first routers WiFi instead of using the wired connection.

t

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#8 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Here is the link to the instructions I used: http://forums.macrum.../t-1113885.html

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

This in particular?

1. In AEBS1 setup your wireless network and other DHCP settings as desired. Ensure "Allow this network to be extended" is checked in Airport >> Wireless.

2. In AEBS2 use the setup assistant and:
a. Give it a name and password
b. I want my Airport Extreme to join my current network
c. I want to connect my Airport Extreme to my network using Ethernet to extend my existing wireless network
d. physically connect your AEBS1 LAN 1/2/3 to the WAN port on your AEBS2
e. Select your AEBS1 from the list of devices to connect to...
f. Update...

The part that got me was that when you go back into your second AEBS and look at the wireless settings, it actually will say "Create a Wireless Network". I thought this was wrong and set it to Extend... which is not correct. Using the setup assistant this creates a roaming wireless network and shows up with (imo) a poorly named setting. 

Since this was posted 2 1/2 years ago, I hope the last oddity was changed in the wording- I'd be surprised if it weren't. 

In any event, I appreciate all the responses. I set up my Airport Express (not Extreme) with a minimum of stress. Seems to be working fine. I gave it a separate name and PW. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

This in particular?

Since this was posted 2 1/2 years ago, I hope the last oddity was changed in the wording- I'd be surprised if it weren't. 

In any event, I appreciate all the responses. I set up my Airport Express (not Extreme) with a minimum of stress. Seems to be working fine. I gave it a separate name and PW. 

Yes that was what I used.

#11 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Is there a simple way to extend wireless via an ethernet wire? 

Yes. http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/

Team Mexico Pork Cloud

Protected By... spam firewall...And...