Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV install wont touch exising dish

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VPALLARI

VPALLARI

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Ill and keep this quick, but Im looking for advice as I really dont want to lose my service.

Im a 13 year customer paying 150/month.  I got an upgrade to a whole home DVR.  The installer came out and said I need a new dish with the install, but he wont touch my exising dish as it is too high and/or he wont walk on my roof.  THis is my existing direct tv sat and they wont touch it.  My current dish is in a perfect location, perfect line of site..wires run directy into my attic vent, and the big bonus, you cant see it from anywhere on my property.  The installer wanted to leave it there, put a new dish on my lowest eve, right in front of the house directly visible from the street and then run cable 30 feet along the roofline, 15 feet up the wall and drill through into the attic.  I have a service cancellation scheduled on sat.  Anyone have a suggestions??  I really dont go through the process of finding a new provider..I think uverse is my next best option, but I think their HD is lacking.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

You could try a private contractor or local satellite company for the install.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 OFFLINE   VPALLARI

VPALLARI

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

You could try a private contractor or local satellite company for the install.

How do I go about finding one?  I was actually pretty shocked that they would let me go over this.  They offered hundreds of dollars worth of rebates to try and keep me...they just flat out couldnt make the installer work on the dish. 

#4 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Look in the yellow pages, go online

#5 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

I had a similar problem, but in my case, the location near the top of the roof was the only one that would work.  There was no other place where I would have LOS.  DirecTV installers cannot get off the ladder and walk on the roof.  If they cannot reach the dish location from the ladder, your only other option is to find a independent contractor who installs DirecTV products.  I needed a new LNB, but not a new dish.  The DirecTV installer "accidently" left an LNB on my roof, and the independent contractor came out the next day and installed it.  It cost me $95 to the contractor to come out, replace the LNB, and align the disk. Since the DirecTV installer left the LNB on the roof, I did not have to pay anyone for the LNB.  For me, it was worth the $95 to keep DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

More details might be warranted. How high (in stories) is the dish, and is it accessible from a ladder? 

Could be a legitimate "I can't do it" or it could be an installer just wanting to talk you into an easier job. Who installed it to begin with? I assume you've had the same dish all 13 years?

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

It sounds like this is all coming down to whether or not the installer will remove the old dish. Please tell me how this isn't what is going on.

Changing providers isn't going to get the old dish removed if that's what you were hoping.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

I had a similar problem, but in my case, the location near the top of the roof was the only one that would work.  There was no other place where I would have LOS.  DirecTV installers cannot get off the ladder and walk on the roof.  If they cannot reach the dish location from the ladder, your only other option is to find a independent contractor who installs DirecTV products.

Technically, that's true.  In reality, how strictly this rule is followed is a matter of where you live.  On Long Island, there would be VERY FEW DirecTV installations if installers didn't get off their ladders and go onto the roof.  I would estimate that at least 50% of LI installs are done in locations that require that the installer get off the ladder.  Like yours, my dish also needs to be at the peak of my roof.  I've never had an installer refuse to go up there.

When discussing this with the last installer who was at my house, I was told "We really have the same rules too.  However, if we followed them, we wouldn't make any money because we'd be cancelling appointments all day."

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

It sounds like this is all coming down to whether or not the installer will remove the old dish. Please tell me how this isn't what is going on.

Changing providers isn't going to get the old dish removed if that's what you were hoping.

He doesn't want the old dish removed.  He wants the new dish in the same location as the old dish because it is currently in an unobtrusive location, while the location where the installer wants to install the new dish is not aesthetically pleasing.

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm guessing that the 'installer' is saying he can't get off the ladder because of OSHA regulations. If they are working more than 4' off the ground (6' for residential construction), they have to use fall protection.  Various ways to do that (roof anchor, scaffolding, etc), but all cost $$ for the equipment and training and you have to have two personnel present during the install.  If they don't AND get caught, the minimum fine is $7,000.  The fine is tenfold higher for repeat offenders (a sub-contractor working for DirecTV in FL who racks up citations will carry-over to a totally different sub-contractor working for DirecTV in CA). So if DirecTV is considered a repeat offender, then the minimum fine is $70,000. 

It's all about saving lives.

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,169 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

I think you have another option, but the installer probably wouldn't do it without reimbursement. You can keep your existing dish and LNB and use an external SWM8 or SWM16 multiswtich, which would connect to the existing four coax that come from your dish (in the attic or wherever it is convenient to access the four coax).  However, they won't include the external SWM switch unless you need a second dish for international channels or go above 8 tuners in your installation.

This assumes your existing dish is a Slimline HD dish. If you are using the old, round 18" dish or the old Phase III dish, then it needs to be replaced.

#12 OFFLINE   JasTay4224

JasTay4224

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Just tell the installation team to bring out fall protection equipment.

DTVHS has access to harnesses, ballasts, and other equipment for said project.

However... What if it breaks in the winter... In the rain... No one, even with gear, will risk their neck for your television...

Suggest you let him move it.... Find a spot for a pole mount.... Tuck it away somewhere hidden... And the SWM system only needs one line off the dish. So running wire... Not wires.... Should not be obtrusive.
HR34 / (5) HR24's / HR21-Pro Model / WVB + (1) C41W

#13 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Obviously in some locales they leave the ladder. My neighbor has a DirecTV dish completely visible from the street the way it sticks up over her roof. That means some one climbed onto roof to do the install.

My install requirements for the Install were I do not want to see it from the Front of the house, Either side of the house.

Where it is mounted the only place I see it is from the back yard all the way against the rear fence. Good Signal strengths. The dish looks like it is pointed at the roof however I know better for two reasons, The look angle is higher and if it were pointed at the roof it would not work. It is mounted on the North side of the house. Hers is just ugly the way it sticks up over the roof.

Edited by TBoneit, 19 September 2013 - 01:53 PM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

When discussing this with the last installer who was at my house, I was told "We really have the same rules too.  However, if we followed them, we wouldn't make any money because we'd be cancelling appointments all day."

Very, very true.  I would call again and get someone who wants to work.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   OnTheRidge

OnTheRidge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

At least in Western CT, we've had several installers leave their ladders -- and one who wouldn't take the ladder off the truck.

Our original install in 2000 was done on a roof that needed two ladders -- one to the main roof, and then a short one to a smaller roof.   Several years later when we upgraded to HD, the first installer came out and said that there was no suitable location on our property (our property slopes downhill to the east and has a line of trees at the South and West (top) edges) without even going up on the roof to check whether there was a LOS to all the sats.   As soon as they left, I got a call from a supervisor who came out to double check and the next day I had a new dish on the roof with a clear LOS (and it seemed that the first installer was not going to be working there much longer).   At least two others have been up there since.   It may help that it's a low pitch roof.

DTV customer since '97
2xHR24, 1xH24

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Very, very true.  I would call again and get someone who wants to work.  

Bill -- Wasn't your last installer peds48?? 

And of course they all have the same rules. It is mandated at the federal level by the Department of Labor/OSHA.

#17 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Bill -- Wasn't your last installer peds48?? 

And of course they all have the same rules. It is mandated at the federal level by the Department of Labor/OSHA.

Yes he was.  I didn't attribute the comment directly to him I didn't want to misquote him..  Based on his response, I guess I got it right.

As far as rules are concerned, some rules make perfect sense in some parts of the country and those same rules could prevent a business from existing in other parts of the country.  My guess is that there are more tall leafy trees in my town alone, than there are in the entire state of Florida.  It's also very hilly on LI.  While there are probably very few homes in Florida where an tech would need to get off of his ladder in order to install a dish (and a pole mount is probably an option in many of the cases where a house mount is not), that's just not the case on Long Island.

The only place on my property where I can get a signal from DirecTV is near the peak of my roof from about 7 feet from the left edge of the roof to about 20 feet from the left edge of the roof.  Based on the dishes that I see on other homes, my situation if more of the rule than the exception.

If Mastec were to strictly force the techs to obey the OSHA rules on Long Island, I would think that it would no longer be profitable for them to service this area.

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

So you're OK with a worker violating federal safety regulations so you can have your satellite TV.

#19 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

When they are regulations that I believe are excessive, I am.

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

My guess is that there are more tall leafy trees in my town alone, than there are in the entire state of Florida.

Not sure where you got this idea, but not even close to reality. You can leave the Jacksonville FL area heading west on I-10 towards Tallahassee, and for the next 180 miles, see nothing but forests.  Then past the hilly area of Tallahassee, is another 180 miles of more forest.

• FL's forest lands cover about 47% of the entire land area -- more than 16 million acres -- or more than 25,000 sq miles (according to the state's Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services).  Long Island's total land area is 1,401 sq miles (Wikipedia). So the forests here in FL are almost 18 times larger than all of LI.  Additionally, the citrus groves (as of 2010), covered more than 800 sq miles -- just under half the size of LI.

But the trees and hills don't mean a thing. DoL/OSHA implemented Fall Protection years ago. It was based on statistical data showing that falls are the #1 cause of injuries/death to workers in the US. 

If Peds was to fall off a 10' roof in LI, the force he would hit the ground with would be the same as here in FL. Trees and hills aren't going change this (unless he hit a branch on the way down) nor was it considered when the government developed safety regulations for workers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...