Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRT: Jackson, MS will get new CW in HD via WJTV-DT2, how long will Dish take to carry?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Dish Internet Response Team:

Our former CW affiliate in the Jackson, MS market, WRBJ, flipped to Trinity in late May.  Although it is still carried on Dish, I am aware that Dish has an agreement where they are not obligated to carry any local Trinity channel if the national feed is carried.

Since there hasn't been a new channel uplink in testing yet for the CW affiliate, I am wondering the following:

1.  Will Dish carry the new CW affiliate on 12.2 by October 3rd, when the CW season starts?  The CW subchannel is expected to start broadcasting OTA within the next few days. The guide information for 12.2 has been showing CW shows in the weekday prime time block (7-9 pm CDT) for about 3 weeks now for testing purposes.

2.  Will Dish carry it in HD, since the station will broadcast in 720P over the air?

3.  Is Dish simply planning to take the allotment for WRBJ 34 and change it to 12.2 CW, as opposed to creating a new channel slot?  I assume the name would be WJTVD and the channel number to be 13 or 14.

Just in case, I went ahead and added back WPIX New York to ensure I have CW regardless of what happens.

Edited by gor88, 19 September 2013 - 08:02 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Oh crap...glad I got WPIX CW New York back...Dish and Media General are gearing up for a blackout, so it might be some time before the new CW is available.

http://www.wjtv.com/.../dont-drop-wjtv

#3 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

It appears that Dish doesn't intend to carry WJTV CW 12.2 anytime soon.

From the General Manager:

Thanks for your note.
It is my understanding that, at this time, DISH will not be adding our local CW to their lineup.
They may be able to give you greater clarification on their intentions in the short or long term to include Mississippi's CW in the future.
Depending on your location and antenna, our CW is available over the air on Digital channel 12.2.
Thank you for your interest.
W Cromwell

Of course, I sent the following to ceo@echostar.com.  I don't know if it will help, but the ceo team has been responsive in the past.

--------------------------------------------

The CW affiliation in the Jackson, MS market moved from WRBJ Channel 34 to WJTV subchannel 12.2.  The new CW affiliate went on the air around 9/30/2013 and is broadcasting in 720P HD.  After contacting the station’s general manager, he says there are no plans for Dish Network to carry the CW. 

Are there any plans to add WJTV 12.2 CW to the Jackson, MS locals package?  It seems like it should be added, since our market has had a CW affiliate from its inception in 2006 until this past July, when WRBJ 34 switched over to Trinity.  Although it is my understanding that Dish Network has an agreement with Trinity where local Trinity affiliates do not have to be carried in the locals package if the National feed is carried, WRBJ 34 is still being broadcast in our locals package in 720P. Given this, I thought you were holding the slot to eventually move WJTV 12.2 to it.

I was hoping that the recent deal with Media General would have included a provision to add WJTV 12.2 to the locals package.  I noticed that Dish does include a CW on subchannel 2 in the Greenville/New Bern/Washington, NC DMA.  Like WJTV, WNCT is owned by Media General and also carries CBS in 1080i on subchannel 1 as Dish channel 009-00 and CW in 720P on subchannel 2 as Dish channel 010-00.

PLEASE consider restoring CW BACK to our locals package in Jackson, MS.

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

DISH did not get a deal with Media General ... the carriage of WJTV returned when the station ownership changed to a company that DISH has a national deal with, Young Broadcasting.

At some point the new subchannel may be carried under Young's contract with DISH. DISH has added a lot of HD locals over the past year. But guessing if and when a channel will be carried is beyond me.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, I figure that it might take some time.  It was for that reason that I moved my mid size VHF UHF antenna from the attic outside using a J mount.  It allowed me to get much better reception of VHF 12 from 22 miles away that I couldn't get in the attic.  I went from 65-74 signal strength with numerous drops to 93-100 with very seldom drops (probably due to being close to our international airport).

#6 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

gor88,

We are always looking to better our programming for our customers and a request has been filed to add the CW channel in SD/HD on your behalf. We do appreciate your interest in this channel.

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Thanks, Mike.  I really hope it is added soon.

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

Dish Internet Response Team:

Our former CW affiliate in the Jackson, MS market, WRBJ, flipped to Trinity in late May.  Although it is still carried on Dish, I am aware that Dish has an agreement where they are not obligated to carry any local Trinity channel if the national feed is carried.

Since there hasn't been a new channel uplink in testing yet for the CW affiliate, I am wondering the following:

1.  Will Dish carry the new CW affiliate on 12.2 by October 3rd, when the CW season starts?  The CW subchannel is expected to start broadcasting OTA within the next few days. The guide information for 12.2 has been showing CW shows in the weekday prime time block (7-9 pm CDT) for about 3 weeks now for testing purposes.

2.  Will Dish carry it in HD, since the station will broadcast in 720P over the air?

3.  Is Dish simply planning to take the allotment for WRBJ 34 and change it to 12.2 CW, as opposed to creating a new channel slot?  I assume the name would be WJTVD and the channel number to be 13 or 14.

Just in case, I went ahead and added back WPIX New York to ensure I have CW regardless of what happens.

I doubt it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall