Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Flying a UAV in the Badlands of SD

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

As some of you may know, after selling everything we own my wife and I our now living in a motor coach traveling around the US.  As such, we find ourselves in some great places at times.  I also fly a UAV, a drone, and shoot video of our travels.  

Here is a video I thought I would share with DBSTalk readers of the Badlands in SD taken from the UAV.  This video was dedicated to my wife Brenda for being by my side during this life changing adventure.

Hope you enjoy...(Feel free to share. :))

• LOCODUDE and palmgrower like this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Awesome, Thanks for sharing. :righton:

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Amazing video, David. Thanks for sharing!

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Great video!  Gives you a totally different view of landscapes like that.  Thanks for posting it.

One question if you dont mind.  In some of teh shots where it flew over you and Brenda it looked like you had some kind of goggles on.  Can you see the camera live while you are flying?

My Setup

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Just be careful if your travels take you to Colorado, don't fly your drone in Deer Trail, CO :)

#6 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

Great video!  Gives you a totally different view of landscapes like that.  Thanks for posting it.

One question if you dont mind.  In some of teh shots where it flew over you and Brenda it looked like you had some kind of goggles on.  Can you see the camera live while you are flying?

Hi...

Yes, google.  I fly what is called FPV..First Person View.  In the googles I can see the image from the camera as well as all by data.  (Speed, course, altitude, power use, battery remaining etc.)  This is all transmitted back via 5.8ghz video link at 500mw.   I can go about 3/4 mile away and by law, 400 feet high.  I have about a safe 9 min flight time in my current configuration.

Attached File  IMG_4060.jpg   143.88KB   4 downloads

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Awesome video, David! One problem I had, though, was a nag to download and install Video Download Converter, which I did. Attempting to use it with Firefox kept getting me back to the nag screen. I finally dropped down to the progress line and hit play there. All then worked fine.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#8 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Awesome video, David! One problem I had, though, was a nag to download and install Video Download Converter, which I did. Attempting to use it with Firefox kept getting me back to the nag screen. I finally dropped down to the progress line and hit play there. All then worked fine.

Sorry...but that sounds like you have something on your machine as that is nothing more than a YouTube video embed.   I would suggest clearing your browser cache or something.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#9 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

David, as a resident of South Dakota I have been through the Badlands numerous times.    That is certainly a different and interesting view.

Thanks for posting it, I have passed  the URL on to several people.     Chan

#10 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Sorry...but that sounds like you have something on your machine as that is nothing more than a YouTube video embed.   I would suggest clearing your browser cache or something.

Actually, my browser (firefox) uses QuickTime plug-in 7.7.4 for all video formats.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#11 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,382 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Truly amazing! Thanks for posting it here.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#12 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Great video. You mention an altitude limitation. Do the National Parks limit/prohibit the use of these UAVs? Aerial views of Old Faithful, Mount Rushmore, and the Grand Canyon would be great.

I guess those are Google goggles? :).

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,164 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Great video!  Thanks for sharing and look forward to more.

Just wish we had the guts to do something like that.  The 'National Parks' series are saved on my DVRs.  Certainly a treasure that we should all enjoy!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#14 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Great video. You mention an altitude limitation. Do the National Parks limit/prohibit the use of these UAVs? Aerial views of Old Faithful, Mount Rushmore, and the Grand Canyon would be great.

I guess those are Google goggles? :).

I did not ask....I just did it.  It is more or less very open land as you can see.  But to put it into perspective, today we went to Mt. Rushmore and I did not even take the chance of flying it.  (But I really, really, wanted to.)  I do know when we were at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore we made the mistake of asking and were told "we needed a filming permit."  Las time we asked.

I guess it will come down to a choice each time.  I can understand also not wanting to see theses little buzzing things flying all over in a peaceful place.  

Glad you all liked the video.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

It is a beautiful video and a great music choice as well.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

It is a beautiful video and a great music choice as well.

Thank you.  I have come a long way with the quadcoptor.  Here is my video channel if you care to look back in time at some of my more early videos. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/David350Z

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thank you.  I have come a long way with the quadcoptor.  Here is my video channel if you care to look back in time at some of my more early videos. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/David350Z

My wife and I had already checked that out along with your Outside Our Bubble web site. We plan to vicariously share your experiences - well maybe not the kidney stone, been there, done that - and we are impressed with the quadcopter. I think I'm a little too old to chase one of those around, but it sure looks like fun.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,164 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Even if they arrest you, it's probably easier than asking permission at every location.

Actually would make a great 'reality' doc.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#19 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

It seems that once again, technology is ahead of the park regulations. I couldn't find one that even addresses drones/UAVs. But they all have a requirement for permits for commercial filming -- but no permits required if the filming is for personal use (or breaking news).

So if stopped, tell them it is for personal use and no permits are required. and keep a low profile -- I wouldn't try and fly it up George's nose.

Have fun. And thanks for letting us come along for the ride.

#20 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

It seems that once again, technology is ahead of the park regulations. I couldn't find one that even addresses drones/UAVs. But they all have a requirement for permits for commercial filming -- but no permits required if the filming is for personal use (or breaking news).

So if stopped, tell them it is for personal use and no permits are required. and keep a low profile -- I wouldn't try and fly it up George's nose.

Have fun. And thanks for letting us come along for the ride.

As far as "along for the ride"... feel free... http://OutsideOurBubble.com  Even a Live Cam page with GPS tracker.  Been doing the travel blog from 2008.  Brenda does most of the writing.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

spam firewall