Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ringing audio on Golf Channel broadcast

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

I've heard this several times in the past few weeks, it is driving me nuts! I remember hearing this regularly during football broadcasts a few years ago (on Directv and cable) but I hadn't heard it for quite a while.

Some people say it is audio compression artifacts, others say it is digital watermarking (copy protection or stuff that things like Nielsen and Shazam use to determine what you're watching, though I thought that was not supposed to be audible)

Anyone know if this originates at the network, or if this is something Directv is causing? If the latter, who do we complain to. It is constant every few seconds in the Golf Channel broadcast going on right now!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

I have been on there for the last 3 minutes and have not heard it. Of course I am watching commercials.

Now the golf is on.

Been listening now for about 3 minutes and do not hear it.

I had watched this channel for an hour or so earlier and did not hear it then.

Edit / Update: I had it on that channel for at least another 30 minutes and did not hear any noise that did not belong there.

Edited by jimmie57, 20 September 2013 - 03:49 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   kzzz

kzzz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Are you hearing the ring they play every time they bring up the on screen score updates?

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

It seemed to go away later in the broadcast. Not sure if it was Directv or the feed they were receiving. It was DEFINITELY not anything to do with the score updates, this was happening every 5-10 seconds. It was driving me nuts!! Just like what was happening in football games a few years ago.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

i believe that the ring identifies when the running scroll showing the scores is brought up. I heard it numerous times while watching online. Never gave it a 2nd thought other than this possibility,

Protected By... spam firewall...And...