Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pre-wire Assistance Needed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ciredrallop

ciredrallop

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

If there is a thread spelling this out then please point me to it because I can't find it. I'm sure it is here somewhere though.

We're planning a new home and will be doing the electrical rough-in soon. We are planning for the Genie in the main room with 'future proof' planning allowing for a mini in the home theater and three other bedrooms. This will give us 5 locations total, although realistically only 2-3 will ever be used.

I know with the current DirecTV setup that each receiver requires a coaxial, at minimum, and cat5/6 connection to share lists. Is this still the case for not just the Genie, but also each mini? Or does each mini just require coaxial connections along with an electrical outlet?

Does the remote operate by sending the signal through the mini and connected coaxial?

For our home theater room, does the mini allow a connection to an IR extender?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

The Genie Minis are coax (exclusively) and wall warts. They handle the remote control relay.

Except for the Genie location, Ethernet is not required but I'd run it to every room (and more than once in large rooms) anyway. A single coax to every possible STB location should be sufficient unless you feel you need to feed the TV or FM tuner with an antenna in which case you MUST add a separate coax.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Conduits.

Because plans and technologies have a habit of changing.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

For our home theater room, does the mini allow a connection to an IR extender?

No need, the Genie and mini Genies comes with RF remotes, unless of course you want o use your own universal remote 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Conduits.

Because plans and technologies have a habit of changing.

A network of conduits doesn't seem practical in a residential environment. I've worked in an attic that had a central vacuum cleaner system and it wasn't any fun at all to dance around all the PVC pipes.

I always wanted a air tube system like Costco or Boeing uses for their documents, but it doesn't seem to be economically feasible (although the way modern software burns through paper, it may be getting there).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,198 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

If your building from scratch, Id have two coax at a minimum to every room where a tv might go, and a cat 6 to every one of those places plus anywhere you might put a computer.  If you are crazy like me, make it three or four coax to any main location, like a home theater room, and at least two cat6 lines for the main room as well.  You can never over wire IMHO.  

And conduit to the main tv location can never hurt either. A bit tuff to do it to every room, but to the main theater room, easy enough sometimes...

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

Solid copper center conductor RG6 coax to every possible TV location. In a large room where you might rearrange in the future, I would run two, one each to opposite walls.

You will probably also want to run RG6 to wherever your internet service is going to end up being located if you will have cable internet.

Also run a Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable to each room, probably to the same location you run the coax. Again, two on opposite walls to larger rooms.

All of this needs to go back to a central location.  From that central location, run at least TWO coax to the outside, one for cable and one for satellite.  If there is ever a chance you might go over 8 satellite tuners, run FOUR coax to the outside for satellite.  If you plan to use over-the-air reception (off air reception of local stations) in addition to satellite, run another coax for an OTA antenna.

Considering that doing wiring is relatively cheap during construction and much more costly after finish work is done, I usually recommend doubling what I just said. Two coax to each TV location, at least five to the outside. In fact, conduit to the outside (big enough for five coax) is even better.

#8 OFFLINE   dan4182

dan4182

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKingwood, Texas

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Both Drucifer and Harsh made good points. If you can use conduits (the bigger, the better) and consolidate them into a "central run" that doesn't create a Christmas tree of conduits up in your attic or basement that is the best way to go. It's a lot easier to pull cable in the future that way.

While the house is just framed in is the time to do this. Never, never nail or staple any cabling to studs/rafters! 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...