Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Torchwood: Miracle Day

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Well, I just found out that BBCA must have gotten the rights to the 4th season that had aired on Starz. They aired the first episode on 9/14, but it is available on VOD. I was upset when Starz dropped its support of Netflix and this season never made it there. Glad to see that I can finally watch it.

- Merg

Posted via IP.Board

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

Must be in SD, no?  I really don't like the way On Demand works with non-movie channels.  Seems as if each show is in SD unless it's a premium movie channel.  Or am I wrong?  I'd like to be wrong.

Rich

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

BBCA had the rights all along.  It was a joint production between Starz, BBC and BBCA.  BBCA's VOD is only SD though.  :(

There are some non premium channels with HD content in VOD.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

I  don't use On Demand much, I'll have to look again.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

I watched some of it on Stars and was not impressed.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#6 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 569 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

I watched some of it on Stars and was not impressed.

I recorded it on starz when it first aired and I wasn't either.
Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

Edited by mrro82, 21 September 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

Well, I just found out that BBCA must have gotten the rights to the 4th season that had aired on Starz. They aired the first episode on 9/14, but it is available on VOD. I was upset when Starz dropped its support of Netflix and this season never made it there. Glad to see that I can finally watch it.

- Merg

Posted via IP.Board

From someone who watched it, I can tell you that I recommend you not waste your time.  It is wretched!  Those were hours of my life wasted. :(  If you want to, go ahead, but don't have your hopes set too high.  As good as Children of the Earth was, Miracle Day was the polar opposite.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

BBCA had the rights all along. It was a joint production between Starz, BBC and BBCA. BBCA's VOD is only SD though. :(

There are some non premium channels with HD content in VOD.

Sorry. I was referring to the air rights. I'm assuming that Starz had the exclusive air rights for a while. A&E is one of the non-premium channels that has VOD in HD.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

From someone who watched it, I can tell you that I recommend you not waste your time. It is wretched! Those were hours of my life wasted. :( If you want to, go ahead, but don't have your hopes set too high. As good as Children of the Earth was, Miracle Day was the polar opposite.

Man... Well, since I won't set my heights too high, hopefully, it won't be too bad for me then.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Sorry. I was referring to the air rights. I'm assuming that Starz had the exclusive air rights for a while. A&E is one of the non-premium channels that has VOD in HD. - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

That figures.  A&E also puts its content on NetFlix.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

From someone who watched it, I can tell you that I recommend you not waste your time.  It is wretched!  Those were hours of my life wasted. :(  If you want to, go ahead, but don't have your hopes set too high.  As good as Children of the Earth was, Miracle Day was the polar opposite.

In my opinion, Torchwood started out gangbusters, and each permutation along the way got progressively worse. The one constant shining star is that Gwen Cooper is such a hoot; that is one helluva girl, and I wish she would move to LA and get some work. Speaking as a Welshman, she does us proud.

I think once they killed off most of the Scooby gang things started to deteriorate. Burn Gorham (now an oily thug on Revenge) also played a great character and he really tore it up, but once they got to that is he dead...is he not dead state, it was hard to keep the writing fresh and it began to collapse under its own weight.

I found Children... to be a tedious storyline, if interesting, and the Miracle Day storyline, also interesting, was even worse. Still, I found it watchable, if only for Gwen Cooper, but it just was not up to the high standards of the original series. The only thing that improved along the way was John Barrowman's acting; he started out pretty terrible, but by now he has built up some chops and is pretty good. I also thought the set decoration for their original underground lair was pretty inspired.

The one thing no one can deny about Torchwood is that it was never predictable, because it was anything but that. It was very unique and you never knew what was coming next; anything could happen. If they could recapture some of that old mojo I would kill for another season, but the way things have been with it lately, probably good that it has been put out of its misery.

Trivia Q: what is Torchwood an anagram for?

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Doctor Who

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#13 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

Trivia Q: what is Torchwood an anagram for?

Doctor Who

Okay, in what Doctor Who episode was Torchwood first referenced?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

Bad Wolf

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

You guys might be even nerdier than me.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:53 AM

Bad Wolf

Yes!  Ding! Ding!  The first reference to Torchwood in Doctor Who was by the "robot" named Ann-Droid, who asked a contestant a question.  The answer was Torchwood.  Bad Wolf was episode 1.12.

Edited by Church AV Guy, 02 October 2013 - 03:05 AM.

Luke

Protected By... spam firewall...And...