Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking for experience with powerline adapters

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jaytbird

jaytbird

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

I have an HR34 Genie in the main living room with no decent way (without major construction) to get a wired ethernet connection to the dvr.

I have been researching wireless extenders (Airport Express) as a possible alternative, but the location doesn't seem to get more than about 2Mbs signal. This is fine for iOS devices and laptops, but I don't think it is enough for VOD. I recently talked to a couple of buddies who have utilized some of the newer powerline adapters and have had some pretty good success. I'm looking for some real world experience from folks who use this setup in conjunction with the DVR.

Here is my current configuration:

1. Genie HR34 in living room, currently using a 50' Cat 5 cable strung on the floor from the router to provide ethernet to HR34. Everything works in this fashion (iPad connectivity, VOD, etc) but this is only temporary.

2. 3 genie clients in various rooms throughout the house, using the SWM network, but my house is not wired for ethernet. These clients communicate just fine with the Genie server via the SWM connection.

I would like to utilize powerline adapters to bring the ethernet connection to the HR34, thereby eliminating the cable on the floor. Assuming the powerline adapters work as advertised and can bring enough bandwidth to the HR34, is there anything else that I need to know about?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Do you have an Ethernet connection anywhere near a coax run? If so, you can just connect a Cinema Connection Kit there. That will bridge the coax network to your home network. If you can't use that, there is also a wireless Cinema Connection Kit. While the wireless signal at the HR34 might not be that strong, you could place it near a C31 where it gets a stronger signal.

I would avoid using Powerline Adapters.

- Merg

Posted via IP.Board

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

I agree with Merg.  Powerline Adapters are too flaky for reliable video streaming.  Avoid if at all possible.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Not to be contradictory, but I use these to get a wired connection out into my yard for an Airport Express repeater.

http://www.amazon.co...p_am_us?ie=UTF8

I'm not running D* receivers on them, but I do stream video out there all the time without issue, even D* streaming on my tablet.

I wouldn't call it flaky at all, though my first attempt with Belkin hardware was a total bust.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,478 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Unfortunately, what works today may quit tomorrow (or in the next few minutes) as the characteristics on the powerline change.

While they are better than a few years ago, just like we use to hear that 9600 baud was the limit for twisted pair the powerline is a pretty lousy media.

As Merg mentioned above, you'd be better off (and probably cheaper) with a piece of coax and two powered CCK adapters.totally separate from your DECA cloud if you can't pull a network cable.

Streaming Netflix or video to your iPad isn't as demanding of bandwidth as MRV.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

You should be able to use a single CCK and get very acceptable performance, sharing the DECA connection. That setup works for me. I tried the power line adapters which DirecTV used to sell and they worked fine but only lasted about four months and failed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Unfortunately, what works today may quit tomorrow (or in the next few minutes) as the characteristics on the powerline change.

While they are better than a few years ago, just like we use to hear that 9600 baud was the limit for twisted pair the powerline is a pretty lousy media.

Well, see, here's the thing: I'm using it every single day, and it does work. At least that one that I linked to does.

Again, no, I've never used it for MRV, but I would if I had to. I've had zero streaming issues with it, and though Vudu HDX isn't quite the quality of D* MRV, it is just as susceptible to network issues. I don't have any. Ever.

You not liking poweline doesn't make it bad.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well, see, here's the thing: I'm using it every single day, and it does work. At least that one that I linked to does.

Again, no, I've never used it for MRV, but I would if I had to. I've had zero streaming issues with it, and though Vudu HDX isn't quite the quality of D* MRV, it is just as susceptible to network issues. I don't have any. Ever.

You not liking poweline doesn't make it bad.

But you are missing the big point.  not all house are wired equally.  what works for you may not work for the next person.  and this is the weak point of PL.  wired works the same every where

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Heck, when I was playing around with power line adapters back in the day I could use it for WHDVR in one outlet in a bedroom, change it to a different outlet in the same room and it was a no go, that's how picky they are.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,478 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

It's not that I don't like it. . . I also use it -- I have it on a 'gateway' from my Solar Panels - which by the way talk to the gateway via Powerline  from a sub-panel in my basement.

Just to give you an example of how 'flakey' it can be. . .  The gateway use to be in my garage on a circuit from my main panel.  My garage door opener failed and I replaced it.  No big deal, until I realized two days later that the PLC (PowerLine Carrier) quit talking because of the new opener.

It quit 24x7, not just when the opener was working!

I moved the Gateway and PLC to the sub-panel.

#11 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

My personal experience with powerline is that they work ok most of the time. But mine will stop working about once a month, requiring that I unplug them all and plug them back in, which is rather inconvenient. If you have coax, which I assume you do since your HR34 is connected to it, then I highly recommend just getting a few extra DECAs instead. Mine has been rock solid for months, far better than powerline and far cheaper.

#12 OFFLINE   jaytbird

jaytbird

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great information everyone!  I think for today, I'm going to try the powerline adapters, becauseI've never used them and  I'm interested to see what happens. If it doesn't work or if it is flaky, I'll take them back and go with the CCK.

Happy Friday!

#13 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

If its possible to get an Ethernet cable to one of your minis then swapping that one with your genie would be another option that wouldn't require any additional hardware.

#)

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great information everyone!  I think for today, I'm going to try the powerline adapters, becauseI've never used them and  I'm interested to see what happens. If it doesn't work or if it is flaky, I'll take them back and go with the CCK.

Happy Friday!

If you have the choice/option, go with the cck and wired.  Powerline adapters rely to a very high degree on the quality of your AC power coming into your house. There are a huge amount of things that can interfere with reliable power line adapters, including utilities using automatic usage reporting equipment from meters (which send a signal over the powerline), to various types of home automation signalling (in any of your neighbors houses), to someone nearby also using a powerline adapter, etc. In other words, stuff entirely outside of your control, and it may work great today and not tomorrow. There are certainly reports here from users like dualsub2006 who use it on a consistent and reliable basis, but there are also many many posts from users who have recurring problems with it. It's all about your local environment.

#15 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

Really? The cheapest set of powerlines is probably $40 and may not even work, yet a DECA is maybe $10 on ebay and will definitely work 100% of the time. I don't understand your logic.

#16 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,478 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Remember a DECA needs a power supply (Power Inserter - PI) unless you get the Broadband CCK that has the wall transformer.

#17 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

I also used Poweline adapters for whole home back when it was being tested and was unsupported.  It worked great in my home.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Remember a DECA needs a power supply (Power Inserter - PI) unless you get the Broadband CCK that has the wall transformer.

Not a problem:

http://www.ebay.com/...nd/261274876338

#19 OFFLINE   ssandhoops

ssandhoops

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

I've got an HR21 connected via powerline adapters and also still have unsupported MRV. I have no problem streaming MRV video or on demand.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#20 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Formally used PowerLine adapters for VOD prior to '10 when I got my WH upgrade.

Panny BL-PA100A HD-PLCs, which were convenient as they were not a wall wart type design.

They worked acceptably for VOD downloads, but MRV was a total wipe-out.

Now I just have two of them serving to connect a Network printer to the home network where they work just fine since it only needs a low data speed connection.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...