Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking for experience with powerline adapters

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

I use powerline adapters to connect my cck to the router.  It works fine for this purpose (vod downloads) although the 2 adapters are on the same ac circuit, which makes a big difference.  I have a deca network now but had previously tried unsupported mrv with powerline adapters, and they did not work well at all.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jaytbird

jaytbird

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Quick update.

Installed Netgear Powerline AV 500 adapters last night, easy as pie with no problems.

Watched about 30 minutes of Contraband on HBO on Demand with no issues. Didn't have time for a full test of VOD, but then again I usually let it get to 20-30 minutes worth before I start watching.

I'll continue to report how things are going for the next few weeks. Thanks for everyone's help!

#23 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Good to hear it's working well for you, if it starts flaking out for the D* service you should be able to use it for another device and just get a BBCCK and hook it in near your router if possbile.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#24 OFFLINE   hound9p

hound9p

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

I was always leery of powerline adapters too, but bought some recently and they have come a long way (much cheaper now too). I'm using one to connect my HR34 to the router several rooms away, and the connection (100 mbps) has been rock solid. I later added one (different brand, but also Home AV standard) to a laptop in another room and it greatly improved Genio Go performance on that computer, which had been connecting wirelessly. Of course, your mileage may vary...

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

There is no way to improve power line in any and all circumstances..  They are the absolute last resort but im gald they are working for you now... There is just inherent reasons I would never use them.

#26 OFFLINE   jaytbird

jaytbird

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Another quick update:
Watched Ironman 3 last night on VOD.
Perfect picture, no hiccups. Powerline is rock solid for now.
Will report any issues if they come up.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Another quick update:
Watched Ironman 3 last night on VOD.
Perfect picture, no hiccups. Powerline is rock solid for now.
Will report any issues if they come up.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

probably because it was already pushed to you by DirecTV 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

And as I said in my case;

In the pre-DECA era HomePlug adapters worked just fine for VOD as well, since the required internet speeds for program downloads from DIRECTV's servers was well within their throughput capabilities, but was an absolute mess for MRV.

DECA was the total savior for MRV here, short of having to try and wire this old home of mine for ethernet.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#29 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

I tried making a go of it with powerline for three years. That's time in my life I wish I could get back. Just don't do it. Just... don't do it.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...