Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Media share icon keeps disappearing

media share

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jiminycub

jiminycub

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

I stream movies and music on my Directv system all the time.  I recently got a new PC running windows 8.  Everything seems to be set up properly but the mediashare icon constantly disappears.  One day it is there and working and when I turn off the system the next time I turn it on the icon is gone.  I have to reset the system 5 -6 times to get it back and it doesn't always work.  I also run the PlayOn server to stream movies from Netflix.  When the icon is present these systems all work fine but I just can't seem to figure out why the icon keeps disappearing.  All Directv tech support can tell me is to reset the system.  I have called them at least 30 times about this and that is all they ever say.  Does anyone else have this issue and have any idea how I can fix it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,741 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

When the computer is OFF the icon goes away 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   jiminycub

jiminycub

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

I never turn the computer off but it does go into sleep mode.  Does the DVR interpret this the same way?

#4 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Sleep mode kills it's online 'broadcasting' of available services.  I leave all of our computers on all the time . . turning on and off causes more problems.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

I never turn the computer off but it does go into sleep mode.  Does the DVR interpret this the same way?

It will have to be on all the time for media share not to disappear...I'd bet your old PC didnt go into sleep mode.

#6 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

It will have to be on all the time for media share not to disappear...I'd bet your old PC didnt go into sleep mode.

I'll second (or third) what others have said, but I'll add another thought:

My computer does not go into sleep mode but once in a while I will lose Media Share - I fiind that bringing up PlayOn, stopping the server then restarting it takes care of the problem and that's a whole lot faster than miscellaneous resets.

Opinions voiced by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of any other person or entity, living or dead, real or fictional, on this or several other planets in this universe or any other.
Close cover before striking. Bridge may freeze before road. Your mileage may vary.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: media share

Protected By... spam firewall...And...