Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Standing in line for a new toy.... WHY?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

In case you were paying attention to the news, the new iPhone was released today.... along with the obligatory story about people in line to be the first to get the new iToy.

Let me be one of the many people to ask... WHY?

This story is repeated ad nausea over the years as it relates to the new Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, Game, and iPhone over the years. The people are camped out overnight. Do these people not have lives? Or jobs? I would feel pretty silly asking my boss to take a few days off to get a new electronics item... especially one which, in a week or so, I could easily purchase without a long wait. Is it really that necessary to be the first on the block to have that iGadget? 

The last time I remember standing in line for something, it was before the local community offered online registration for classes (about 15-20 years ago). I needed to get this one class that had limited availability, so yes, I took the day off, and it was for something I needed (an education), not something I wanted. Any boss can understand that.

The last time I got something "brand new and at launch" was last year's Samsung S3 Android phone. Even then, it was ahead of schedule, and the sole reason was not for the phone having 4G capabiltiy (verses my existing 3G Android phone), but because I wanted to get an upgrade before Verizon changed the plans and I would lose my unlimited data plan. I have been stung once too many times from "first release defects" that get fixed in later versions of the same device. 

:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,007 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

The problem is the same problem that results in companies rushing to market rather than fully test their products...

People want to be first.

People want to be first more than they want to be best, or even good.

People stand in line for stuff they don't even want just so they can say they were first to have some new widget OR even better to get that widget and wave it in the face of someone who didn't get one at all!

It's nothing new in the history of the world... it is a little sad... but not new.

I haven't wanted anything enough to be in any of those kinds of lines... I'm perfectly happy to wait a few weeks on some new product I want if it means I can avoid the camping out and lines.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

If you had watched an interview that was of several of the people that had waited for 2 weeks to get one you would have seen that people wanting to advertise their stuff had given many of them clothes, watches and even paid for their new Iphone for them to wear their clothes, etc. It was cheap for the companies to have most everyone that passed by see those people sleeping and hanging out there and seeing the items they provided for them.

For a lot of them it is just as already stated, they want to be first to have it in their social circle.

I don't have one at all. I use a prepaid $19.99 phone and buy 1,000 minutes of talk and text for $100 and it lasts me all year.

I do all my internet stuff at home.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

The problem is the same problem that results in companies rushing to market rather than fully test their products...

People want to be first.

People want to be first more than they want to be best, or even good.

People stand in line for stuff they don't even want just so they can say they were first to have some new widget OR even better to get that widget and wave it in the face of someone who didn't get one at all!

It's nothing new in the history of the world... it is a little sad... but not new.

I haven't wanted anything enough to be in any of those kinds of lines... I'm perfectly happy to wait a few weeks on some new product I want if it means I can avoid the camping out and lines.

People robbed waiting on a line for new iPhone.
http://www.khou.com/...-224546771.html

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

I placed an order online while at the company blood drive, supposed to ship in 4 days. 

#6 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'd never wait in line for a phone or game console, but I have waited in line for concert tickets - dating myself, yes - and that was a fun, communal experience. Maybe people camping out for an electronic device feel the same way? Whatever the reason, I don't understand why so many people feel the need to deride them for it. Who is it bothering? Better than having a group of people flood a public park and turn it into a wasteland of tents and filth as they chant slogans and harass the neighborhood.

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Tickle Me Elmo
  • sangs likes this
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'd never wait in line for a phone or game console, but I have waited in line for concert tickets - dating myself, yes - and that was a fun, communal experience.

Note that I didn't say concerts, as they are often limited. Also, with Ticketmaster, there is a significant markup (which is why I don't attend concerts).

Who does it bother? Noone really. I just happen to think "Whats the point?"

:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Lemmings.  If they had to jump off a cliff to get the new phones, I'll bet some of them would.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,512 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

In case you were paying attention to the news, the new iPhone was released today.... along with the obligatory story about people in line to be the first to get the new iToy.

This story is repeated ad nausea over the years as it relates to the new Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, Game, and iPhone over the years. The people are camped out overnight. Do these people not have lives? Or jobs? I would feel pretty silly asking my boss to take a few days off to get a new electronics item... especially one which, in a week or so, I could easily purchase without a long wait. Is it really that necessary to be the first on the block to have that iGadget? 

The last time I remember standing in line for something, it was before the local community offered online registration for classes (about 15-20 years ago). I needed to get this one class that had limited availability, so yes, I took the day off, and it was for something I needed (an education), not something I wanted. Any boss can understand that.

The last time I got something "brand new and at launch" was last year's Samsung S3 Android phone. Even then, it was ahead of schedule, and the sole reason was not for the phone having 4G capabiltiy (verses my existing 3G Android phone), but because I wanted to get an upgrade before Verizon changed the plans and I would lose my unlimited data plan. I have been stung once too many times from "first release defects" that get fixed in later versions of the same device. 

You didn't "need" the class or an education; you wanted them. Same with these iphone people; they want it.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

It gives them something to do and lets them feel a part of something.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,407 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

They're the want it now generation.

They also firmly believe if it is newer it MUST be better.

I agree with WC Fields that there's a sucker born every minute.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#13 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

In Loving Memory of My Beautiful Lisa

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,073 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hey, if it gets them out of their parents' basement for a few days it's a good thing -- time enough to exterminate! :rolleyes:

• TXD16 likes this

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Have we forgotten Cabbage Patch Kids and the various Nike shoe riots?  OK, near-riots.  What was it a couple of years ago that people were getting robbed and shot for as they walked out of the store to their cars?

Then there are the people who pay top dollar to have a $10 widget delivered via Next Day Air, Saturday Delivery.

Why?  Think of the Tin Man ....  If they only had a brain.

People are stupid.  Humanity is doomed.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,863 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

They're the want it now generation.

They also firmly believe if it is newer it MUST be better.

I agree with WC Fields that there's a sucker born every minute.

That was PT Barnum, not WC Fields.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

It's one thing to be an early adopter and quite something else to camp out in line to score a first day purchase.

I was a somewhat early adopter when I upgraded from a broken HTC Thunderbolt to my Motorola Droid Razr HD -- far from first in line, but I think within the first month that Verizon had it available.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

I also wouldn't bother telling my boss why I was taking the day off. If the day was available and I wanted to spend it playing GTA or whatever, it's really of no consequence. Or am I just in an unusual position?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,007 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

I don't ridicule the line-waiters...  but I do wish they would not be so eager, because maybe then companies would not rush to market so much.  When a company knows they will have a line around the block for whatever they release, they tend to release whatever they can to get people in that line.

• Rich likes this

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#19 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

I bought an 'Eggstractor'  (AS SEEN ON TV !!!!) at a garage sale for $1.

I was pretty sure it wouldn't work, and I was correct, but it was worth the dollar to turn a hard boiled egg inside out and then blast it all over the kitchen.

(yes, I am easily amused)

:coffee

• Laxguy likes this

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,339 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Note that I didn't say concerts, as they are often limited. Also, with Ticketmaster, there is a significant markup (which is why I don't attend concerts).

Who does it bother? Noone really. I just happen to think "Whats the point?"

I have been there done that, for some of the iPhones. I can relate to Apple but not the gaming consoles. There are a few folks that see Apple as a "culture" and these folks has been with Apple from a very long time. These folks see Steve Jobs as their "hero" and feel very loyal to Apple. these folks are usually monikered as "fan boys". So in an effort to support this "culture", we must have the latest and greatest from Apple and do "crazy" things to get them

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall