Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A few Genie (HR44) questions - play lists

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

FInally decided to get rid of the stand alone HD DVRs and go with the Genie after they gave us a good offer.  I got it today.. I will install in a few days (after I watch a few last things off the old boxes.)

I did a little research but couldn't come up with clear answers... I hope these haven't been asked too much.  My kids watch upstairs... my wife on the main floor.. and me down in the basement (man cave situation)

1- My main question... will we (or will we have the option) to use individual play lists.. almost like we still have our individual boxes in three separate rooms.

2- How about if my wife and I both watch part of a movie, but on separate TVs... will it remember where each of us left off?

3- How about if we both watch a show.. Big Bang Theory for an example... and she deletes it by habit upstairs.. will it be gone for me too?

Just wondering.. not sure how 'smart' this new system is.  I sure hope I don't have to see one HUGE playist with all the stuff my kids and wife record that I have no interest in.

Pete

* HR20 DVR *
* Panasonic 42" plasma TV *

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

FInally decided to get rid of the stand alone HD DVRs and go with the Genie after they gave us a good offer.  I got it today.. I will install in a few days (after I watch a few last things off the old boxes.)

I did a little research but couldn't come up with clear answers... I hope these haven't been asked too much.  My kids watch upstairs... my wife on the main floor.. and me down in the basement (man cave situation)

1- My main question... will we (or will we have the option) to use individual play lists.. almost like we still have our individual boxes in three separate rooms.

2- How about if my wife and I both watch part of a movie, but on separate TVs... will it remember where each of us left off?

3- How about if we both watch a show.. Big Bang Theory for an example... and she deletes it by habit upstairs.. will it be gone for me too?

Just wondering.. not sure how 'smart' this new system is.  I sure hope I don't have to see one HUGE playist with all the stuff my kids and wife record that I have no interest in.

Pete

You could keep your HD-DVRs and with Whole Home still watch anything that is recorded on the others (including the Genie).  With Whole Home turned on though - you would normally see everything on all DVRs on each DVR's List unless you change it to only show local recordings.  Not sure if you already have Whole Home or not - but if you do it would be the same.

I'm not 100% sure on all the answers because I don't have any Genie Mini clients - however, I can answer some of them.

1. No, you cannot do this - you get the list of all programs on the Genie, the Genie does not have the capability for "Profiles" or separate lists by Genie Mini Client.

2. Not sure on the answer to this - I want to say no - I'm not even sure if you can both watch the same recording at the same time on the clients - but again I don't have any clients, maybe someone else can confirm for you.

3. If you delete a program from a Genie Mini Client - it will be gone for everyone since you're actually deleting it off the Genie.

Hope this helps!

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#3 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,134 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

Pete

1, No

2. No

3. No

It just a DVR with five tuners.

Got my own Q. How are your family watching from other rooms if you have just a single stand alone?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,960 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Pete

If you just have the Genie and clients yes

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

It just a DVR with five tuners.

Got my own Q. How are your family watching from other rooms if you have just a single stand alone?

Thanks for the informing replies...

We currently have 3 units.  1 older HD DVR down here (basement) and 1 newer HD DVR middle level and then an older SD DVR upstairs for the kids.

Well now.. I feel I was a little mislead by the Directv agent on the phone.. I specifically asked the lady (who talked me into the Genie) about my concerns and she said that I could use 'playlist 1, playlist 2, and playlist 3'.  I was very sure to ask that before I agreed to switch to the Genie+ 2 clients.

Rats.  I opened the main unit to verify it was the newer 44 but packed it up again.. I think I'll keep what I have currently.  I only see the Genie as going backwards for us.  In fact.. it doesn't even have optical out so I'd have to get a new reciever downstairs on top of it all.

ANY reason to keep the Genie?   :(

Edited by Slyster, 20 September 2013 - 09:41 PM.

* HR20 DVR *

#6 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,134 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

. . . . I agreed to switch to the Genie+ 2 clients.

. . . .

Kill the clients, keep your HD DVRs.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hmm.. that's one possibility I didn't think of.  Thanks.  I could keep my optical amp too..  I'll call them tomorrow and see what options I do and do not have.

* HR20 DVR *

#8 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

I second keeping the HD-DVRs and the Genie (actually I said it originally in my post above) :D

You would then be able to all have separate playlists (but remember with Whole Home, you will see each other's playlists unless you select the Local only Playlist).

And you'd be able to delete a show off of your local DVR and not delete it off the other DVR (and with Whole Home you can prevent another DVR from deleting your recordings in the Setup options).

One thing you still cannot do however is each watch the same recording from the same DVR and resume it at different points.  If you're watching the show on one DVR and stop watching it - when you resume it on another DVR it would start at the point you left off.

BTW - the HR44 should have an optical audio out.  It is the connection underneath the orange Coaxial Audio connection in the picture below.  I'm pretty sure all HR44 manufacturers have the optical audio out too.

From the Solid Signal HR44 review - http://forums.solids...HR44-Genie-DVR 

DIRECTV_HR44-700-6.png

The back of the HR44 is pretty packed, but it's missing some of the outputs from earlier devices. You'll still find USB (for the AM21 antenna module) eSATA for hooking up an external drive, and even a landline phone jack. What's missing is the old S-Video jack. If you want to connect this to an older TV, the red/yellow/white composite ports are your only hope. There's component and HDMI ports of course and... what's this?

DIRECTV put the optical audio port back! This soundbar-friendly option was missing from the HR34. You could use an adapter but now the port has returned, making home theater setup even easier!

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#9 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

Excellent!

I've decided to do this.

-Install the HR44 on main floor with the client upstairs.

-Move the newer HD DVR downstairs (whole home capable)

Thus return the older HD DVR, the old SD DVR, and one of the Client boxes.

This works perfect.. and I still don't need a new amp downstairs.... now to get on the Phone with Direct to sort it all out.

* HR20 DVR *

#10 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thats a smart move you decided on!  should work out great for you!

#11 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I believe the HR24 is whole home compatible.. does that mean the HR24 (HD DVR) be able to see the Genie?  And will the Genie be able to see the HR24?

* HR20 DVR *

#12 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,478 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Once you get Whole Home activated, all your DVRs and Receivers will be able to see all others.

Just be careful with the client being used by your kids.  If they delete, it will delete from the HR44 itself, so whoever is using the 44 as their main viewing receiver, will lose that recording.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Excellent!

I've decided to do this.

-Install the HR44 on main floor with the client upstairs.

-Move the newer HD DVR downstairs (whole home capable)

Thus return the older HD DVR, the old SD DVR, and one of the Client boxes.

This works perfect.. and I still don't need a new amp downstairs.... now to get on the Phone with Direct to sort it all out.

Don't forget you may get an HR34 or an HR44, there is no guarantee.  The HR34 does not have an optical jack.

Edited by inf0z, 21 September 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

In fact.. it doesn't even have optical out so I'd have to get a new reciever downstairs on top of it all.

It sounds like you have an HR34 if it doesn't have optical out. Unless you're talking about the clients.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 21 September 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Not that it matters if you have an HR44, but there are adapters to convert digital coax audio to optical. they work perfectly.

#16 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

It worked out well since its the HR24 (has optical) that is going to where I need it.  And, thankfully, when I opened up the box, the new one is an HR44 and not the HR34 so we got lucky I guess.

Hooking it all up right now.  I'll probably be back with questions :)

Edited by Slyster, 21 September 2013 - 06:47 PM.

* HR20 DVR *

#17 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

OK first glitch.  "Cannot detect SWM"... I have no idea what that is.  I disconnected both coax cables from the HR24 and plugged just one in the HR44.  I tried both with the B-band converter and tried both cables.

Now what?  They said on the phone we were all ready to go and I could do it myself.

* HR20 DVR *

#18 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

OK first glitch.  "Cannot detect SWM"... I have no idea what that is.  I disconnected both coax cables from the HR24 and plugged just one in the HR44.  I tried both with the B-band converter and tried both cables.

Now what?  They said on the phone we were all ready to go and I could do it myself.

Do you have a SWIM system?  Chances are if your old HDDVR required B-Band converters and two cables then you don't have a SWIM system.

Edited by inf0z, 21 September 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Never heard of a Swim system.  But am on the phone right now and they asked if our old units needed two lines in... well yeah.. they should have known that.. and apparently we are not ready for the Genie.  Now were stuck.  Grrrr.  WIll need an installer.

* HR20 DVR *

#20 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Here is some information on a SWIM system and what to look for. http://www.dbstalk.c...abled-slimline/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...