Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

swim and new box question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HiDefGator

HiDefGator

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

I currently have a swim 16 mounted on the side of my house. 

2 wires run inside to a closet where they split and feed 11 tuners  ( 3 regular DVR's and a 5 tuner DVR )

There is a powered dongle in the same closet that connects the internet to them all for whole home. 

I would like to add a new HD box in a nearby garage that can do whole home.  Doesn't need DVR capability itself.   The garage is only 40' from the swim mounted on side of house.   The garage has wired internet coming from the house already if that helps. 

1.  Can a new wire be added to the SWIM to provide 2 tuners to the garage?

2.  Will the new garage box magically get the internet over that wire for whole home? 

3.  Which client box should I ask for? 

thanks I appreciate any help provided. 

mike

Edited by HiDefGator, 21 September 2013 - 08:01 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

1) Yes, but if its a non-DVR HD receiver you are interested in installing in the garage, it only requires 1 tuner.

2) Yes, and there is really no "magic" behind it. The MoCA network signal travels over the same coax as the satellite signal and the garage receiver will be able to access the internet through the same CCK (or "dongle" as you call it) in the wiring closet as all the other receivers comprising the "DECA cloud."

3) Any of the set top box HD receivers, H21, H23, H24 or H25 will suffice for this. Just remember that the older H21 and H23 receivers require external receiver DECAs attached to them of course. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

I currently have a swim 16 mounted on the side of my house. 

I would like to add a new HD box in a nearby garage that can do whole home.  Doesn't need DVR capability itself.   The garage is only 40' from the swim mounted on side of house.   The garage has wired internet coming from the house already if that helps. 

1.  Can a new wire be added to the SWIM to provide 2 tuners to the garage?

If you're looking to run a cable from the SWM-16 location outside of the house to the garage, you would just need to add a 2 way green label splitter to in between SWM2 on the the SWM-16 and the one of the cables going into the house.  Then a coax cable can be run from the second output of the splitter to the garage.

#4 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

You could get a client instead of an H box.  Then you have complete control of the Genie as if you were in front of it. It adds no tuners.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   HiDefGator

HiDefGator

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Can you elaborate on the difference between the client and the H?   Do they both have same monthly fee?  Can the client see content on other dvr's or just the genie?

#6 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Any new "box" still costs $6 per month.  The client does not use it's own tuner.  It uses a tuner from the Genie's 5 available ones.  If you have whole home set up on your system, then the client can see all the networked DVR's.  You basically view it as a slave of the Genie.  Any actions you make on the client are physically done on the Genie.  Thus you can set series links from there, you can delete recordings, anything you would do in front of a regular DVR.  The H's can do whole home, but they cannot set up series links or delete programs or series links, etc.  I believe there are also more limitations on the H's that I am not familiar with, as I don't have any.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Can you elaborate on the difference between the client and the H?   Do they both have same monthly fee?  Can the client see content on other dvr's or just the genie?

The RVU clients such as the Genie Minis are essentially extensions of the UI of the main Genie server and borrows from it's satellite tuners and live buffer to operate.

It has the same monthly fee as another receiver and can see and stream recorded shows from other DVRs on the network besides the Genie.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

The client does not have it's own tuner, it uses a tuner from the Genie. The H2x has it's own tuner.  The client is for all practical purposes the same as operating the Genie. Yes it can participate in whole-home with other units.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

If you're looking to run a cable from the SWM-16 location outside of the house to the garage, you would just need to add a 2 way green label splitter to in between SWM2 on the the SWM-16 and the one of the cables going into the house.  Then a coax cable can be run from the second output of the splitter to the garage.

Just to clarify that the SWM output here does not matter, what matter is that each SWM output must not have more than 8 tuners.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Just to clarify that the SWM output here does not matter, what matter is that each SWM output must not have more than 8 tuners.

I recommended SWM2 because he didn't mention that anything was connected to the power input of the SWM16 and also said that only 2 wires run from the SWM-16 into the house.  So, I assumed that the Power Inserter is connected to SWM1,

Since with his Genie and 3 DVR's, it's not possible for him to use exactly 8 tuners on either side of the SWM-16 (regardless of what combination is connected to each side), rather than having him be concerned about having to connect the existing cable to the power passing side of the 2 way splitter and the new coax to the other side, I figured that it would be easier to just tell him to use SWM2, so he wouldn't need to be concerned with the Power Inserter.

#11 OFFLINE   HiDefGator

HiDefGator

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

Huge Thanks to everyone here for your advice.   Putting a splitter next to the swim 16 and going with a client instead of a full receiver were both great ideas.  Directv hasn't done anything for me lately so I might try to get them to do the install work. 

spam firewall