Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question re. the AM21 OTA tuner & Genie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

First, does this work well (or at all) with the HR44 Genie?

Does DirecTV still offer these to a customer at no cost? Reduced cost?

I noticed Solid Signal has the AM21N for $49, which seems like a good price. I was considering it, but only if it works well with the HR44.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,920 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yes it works.

Call and ask.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Have three AM21s here (two latest of which are actually AM21Ns).

Got those two more recent ones for free via Retention.

One during the Tribune squabble last year and the other from just a random call in to Retention one day earlier this year and got lucky.

Sub. since '95 with almost always the highest package helped I guess ... :)  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

It depends on what channels you want to tune in.  Only channels in Directv data base are available it won't scan for channels and new subchannels won't be available until Directv adds them to the data base.

#5 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Well, this one would be for my account in Houston. I'm sure Houston's locals are in DirecTV's database.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#6 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Well, this one would be for my account in Houston. I'm sure Houston's locals are in DirecTV's database.

It is not a question of the main city being in the data base but of other near by stations not being receivable.  DISH tuners can scan for signals and as long as the TV carrier is strong enough it will tune the station, but Directv won't recognize the station unless it is in the data base.

Poor example but it mighgt clear up your question.  If you lived in McKinney TX..  Your DMA would be Dallas and FOX would be channel 4.  If you could receive it 12.3 KXII out of Sherman/ Denison is also FOX but may not be in the data base for the AM21 so even if you could receive it the AM21 would not recognize it.  I don't have an AM21 so I don't know if this would still be true seeing I haven't had Directv for years.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

First, does this work well (or at all) with the HR44 Genie? They work great with all current models

Does DirecTV still offer these to a customer at no cost? Reduced cost?  They never really offered them at no or reduced cost, but some people have demanded them for the typical reasons......

I noticed Solid Signal has the AM21N for $49, which seems like a good price. I was considering it, but only if it works well with the HR44. 

They  are $50 if you order it right from your on-line Directv acct and they ship them FedEx

spam firewall