Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

adding sd box to current setup

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CheeeZ

CheeeZ

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hello, new to this forum. thanx in advance for any guidance, 

Currently I have Directv, I have a Slimline-5 dish and 2 HR22/100 dvrs connected. Currently there is no multiswitch connected. Two lines goto one box, the other two lines goto the other box, My question is, I have an old DRD420RE rca dtv sd box i want to add to another room. Im aware I will need to TURN ON the box with direct tv, im more concerned with the hook up. Considering the HR22/100 need both lines, do i put a multiswitch inline with one of the cables to the HR22/100 (either the LNB"A" 13/14v or the LNB"B" 17/18v input on the multiswitch), then out of the multiswitch, one line to the HR22/100 and another to the sd box ? the multiswitch i have is also an rca d6530 4 way switch. Or is my older gear not compatable ? OR, could i use a simple splitter on one cable to the HR22/100 and add the sd box ? (im pretty sure I cant do that, but i thought ide ask)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

You need to get a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch. All four lines from the dish MUST go to the four inputs of the multiswitch. Then you run coax from the outputs to the various DVRs and receivers.  Older multiswitches will not work (don't pass the proper signals for HD).

Not familiar with the DRD420RE though. It may not be able to be used at all, depends on how old it is. DirecTV has stopped guide data support for many older receivers. I'm sure someone else will comment soon as to whether or not it can be used.

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Unfortunately the DRD420 is obsolete. Check this post for a complete list: http://www.dbstalk.c...e/#entry3120304

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,977 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

Unfortunately the DRD420 is obsolete. Check this post for a complete list: http://www.dbstalk.c...e/#entry3120304

Right on!  DirecTV would not activate that receiver.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   CheeeZ

CheeeZ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

Thanx everyone ! I kinda figured the receiver was a boat anchor. oh well. so even if I get an up to date  receiver from dtv i will still need a multiswitch correct ? and do they include that when i order an additional box ?

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

They would want to switch you to SWiM for MRV.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

If you order a new box (SD or HD) from DirecTV, they should bring it as well as anything else necessary to install it.  As Drucifer notes, you will most likely be changed from the conventional LNB you have now to an SWM LNB. There will almost certainly be a charge for doing all this, but you'll have to talk to DirecTV to find out what it is for your account.

#8 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

I would get a HD recever if you can, the cost per month is the same and going forward you will not need to call them when you need the HD.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

He doesn't have HD.  He must live in an MPEG4 locals market as he has a Slimline dish and 2 R22's.  DirecTV won't activate HD on an account with just R22's (trust me, I know!) because they are considered "SD DVR's".  He should have no trouble adding an SD receiver and they cost less than $100 (for a lease).  I'd see how much they want for an SD DVR (R15 or R16) since you are already paying the DVR fee.  If you need a multiswitch upgrade, that should be included in the price of the new receiver/DVR.  The downside is that you will begin or reset a two year contract.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

He doesn't have HD. 

Where did he say that? He said he has two HR22-100s (not R22). If that is in error and he actually has an SD only account with R22's, then there is certainly no reason to get an HD box other than if he is in an MPEG4 LIL market.

For Cheeez: Call DirecTV, tell them what you want and see what they offer you. Go from there.  If you currently have HD, then I would go for an HD receiver as suggested by PCambell, even if it is going on an SD television for now.

#11 OFFLINE   CheeeZ

CheeeZ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

Thanx Carl6, yeah im HD, just had an old sd box laying around and its going in daughters room on sd tv. I will call DTV. Im a longtime customer (over 10yrs) i just dont want to incur any additional BS charges just to add another box. But . . . as technology goes im way behind so I probably have to pay a price to catch up ! Thanx again !

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

Just on principal, if there is NOT a good reason to be adding an SD box, I would urge everybody to always get an HD receiver. If you are already paying the monthly HD fee, all subsequent receivers added to your account need to be HD.

It is 2013 !!!!

:coffee

• PCampbell likes this

#13 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

I would like to see the day when Directv is like Uverse and dose not install a SD box.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#14 OFFLINE   CheeeZ

CheeeZ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yes, will install HD. sd was only cuz I had a spare laying around. Back in the day it didnt hurt so much to utilize older gear. now its blasphemy ! ha ! thanx again everyone !

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,977 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

I would like to see the day when Directv is like Uverse and dose not install a SD box.

When they (DirecTV) starts "burying" the HD fee in the basic package like everybody else does

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yes, will install HD. sd was only cuz I had a spare laying around. Back in the day it didnt hurt so much to utilize older gear. now its blasphemy ! ha ! thanx again everyone !

Adding SD today is like hooking up a dialtone rotary pulse phone a decade ago.  The plant equipment is getting less and less and soon wont be there any longer.

Edited by Drucifer, 29 September 2013 - 01:12 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#17 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

You can probably reactivate your old SD box if you want to, depends on the model number. If you need to order a box, then order an HD receiver.  If DirecTV wants to charge you for a new box, and the old SD box will work, that would save you the non-recurring cost to acquire the receiver, but monthly fees would be the same.

When you call, if they offer you all kinds of upgrades, like to a Genie and clients, consider your options. Getting the Genie might be good, but I would keep any existing DVRs rather than replace them with clients.

#18 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Adding SD today is like hooking up a dialtone phone a decade ago.  The plant equipment is getting less and less and soon wont be there any longer.

What are you talking about? No one is pulling phone lines out of the ground or removing CO switches and not replacing them. Local phone companies are still required by law to serve every address in their area. That's not going to change for a long time, if ever. Businesses can't switch to cell phones, nor can burglar alarms or ATMs. Everyone using DSL for internet access relies on wired telephone lines. I'm sure there are many more examples, even if someday few people have an actual wired telephone in their home.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

What are you talking about? No one is pulling phone lines out of the ground or removing CO switches and not replacing them. Local phone companies are still required by law to serve every address in their area. That's not going to change for a long time, if ever. Businesses can't switch to cell phones, nor can burglar alarms or ATMs. Everyone using DSL for internet access relies on wired telephone lines. I'm sure there are many more examples, even if someday few people have an actual wired telephone in their home.

Ah sorry, should have stated rotary pulse dialing instead of dialtone.

But  you are wrong also, Verizon is trying to abandon their wire network to the home and replace it with wireless.

Fire Island in NY, had to fight Verizon in order to restore their landline service after superstorm Sandy.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

Protected By... spam firewall...And...