Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish and local channel disputes made me think...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Dish should provide the guide data for all OTA channels a customer receives.  I don't care how they do it, what technical hurdles they face, how high on the priority list this is, or whether they are in a contract dispute or not.  Dish's implementation of OTA is poor, and could be improved.

Understand that OTA support is not a priority for Dish.  Dish is a satellite company...  They would much rather not support OTA at all... but it fills a gap for them and serves as a carrot... but when push comes to shove, the reality is Dish would be just as happy if you used other means to view OTA.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

I don't understand the hurdles that prevent them from providing the guide data for every channel.  They get the TSID of the station OTA and they get the data from Tribune.  Match the two together and you get the guide data, right?  With Maryland Public Television, I only get guide data for WMPT (22.1-.3).  WMPB (67.1-.3) & WFPT (62.1-.3) simulcast WMPT and just show "Digital Service."  Since I receive WMPB more reliably than the other channels, I would rather record off of that channel. 

It isn't difficult... they do carry some sub-channel EPG info for OTA channels that they don't deliver via satellite.  It just is a very low priority for them... and of all the things we see complaints about, one of the last things is usually OTA EPG data.  I wish they would... though most are in my DMA, a few OTA sub-channels are missing EPG data.  Other markets have it worse than mine.  It's just a matter of it being a low-priority item and one that Dish does not directly make money for their efforts spent in that area... so I understand why it is low priority.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#43 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Anyone know how DirecTV handles the OTA guide data when they're out-of-contract with a broadcast station?

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,765 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

DISH currently carries 1114 OTA EPG channels. A few of them may be duplicates of carried channels. Overall, DISH carries unique EPG for 5145 channels in the system.

Every subchannel EPG added adds to that count. Every transponder carries a feed of "present/next" EPG ... what is on now and what is next on each of those 5145 channels. Plus there are two and nine day guides that grow in size every time DISH adds a EPG feed.

According to RabbitEars there are 7588 subchannels transmitted. DISH cannot carry EPG for them all. Not without a major redesign to how EPG is managed. (Don't forget, any changes affecting EPG for OTA would need to be compatible with every receiver that uses that feed ... not just the Hoppers, but back to at least the 211 and 622 (released in 2005/2006 IIRC).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,765 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Anyone know how DirecTV handles the OTA guide data when they're out-of-contract with a broadcast station?

Not dispute related, but both DISH and DirecTV carry EPG for 13 channels and subchannels in my market. The difference being that one of the DirecTV carried subchannels does not exist (they are missing one DISH has). Both carriers are missing EPG for subchannels added over the past year or so.

DirecTV has data for 4004 OTA channels and subchannels in their guide ... this includes channels that they also carry via satellite.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#46 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Another hole in the system is that sometimes channels do not provide sub-channel data to the Tribune corporation so it can be used.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...