Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Educate me pls before Dtv installer comes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi. Dtv us upgrading me to genie wh with geniego. They are installing. My present setup is two hr24/500s and a 24/200 all std two wire setup. I will be replacing one of the 24s with the genie. I have, 20mb/s dsl with a separate wireless router. None of the 24s are currently connected to the network.

Here are my questions.

1. Reading suggests that I should avoid the wireless cck is that right? The best way to make the Internet connection is to run coax to my router and use a powered decca? And the powered decca should plug into an open port on my wireless router not to the dsl modem?

2. Which dvr would you exchange for the genie? The 200 or one of the 500s? Or does it matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

Wireles CCK runs just fine in wired mode. I use mine to bridge my DECA cloud to my swiched Ethernet receivers and it is flawless. Bring up the admin page just like setting up a router turn off the wireless or specify wired only (it has been so long I forget)

An alternative that is unique to the Genie models is that their Ethernet port acts as a bridge from thier DECA traffic to Switched Ethernet but that means any VOD activity on any of your receivers relies on the Genie being live. For all purposes the Genie is a CCK in addition to all of its other functions, however the installation standard is not to leverage that in favor of an installation using the CCK. Makes a whole home install genie or not built to the same standard.

As to which HR24 model? Probablly a personal question. I've three of the 500s in my current deploy plus one as a spare but you may just decide to keep whatever one has content on it you wish to keep.

Don "heck keep em all that's my problem :)" Bolton

Hi. Dtv us upgrading me to genie wh with geniego. They are installing. My present setup is two hr24/500s and a 24/200 all std two wire setup. I will be replacing one of the 24s with the genie. I have, 20mb/s dsl with a separate wireless router. None of the 24s are currently connected to the network.
Here are my questions.
1. Reading suggests that I should avoid the wireless cck is that right? The best way to make the Internet connection is to run coax to my router and use a powered decca? And the powered decca should plug into an open port on my wireless router not to the dsl modem?
2. Which dvr would you exchange for the genie? The 200 or one of the 500s? Or does it matter.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Try to watch content from one of the DVR's (the one with the fewest number of recordings that you want to watch/keep on it) until it's empty (or only contains content that you don't care if you lose).  Then replace that one.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

1) Of course all CCK's require "power" to operate :)

But yes, what you mean is a "wired" CCK option, which as with most applications, is always better than a wireless one. And if it is possible to run a coax cable near your router the installer will likely use a "BB DECA" kit such as pictured here for this. http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e7eaf841b instead of a CCK-W unit configured for a wired option as lugnutathome describes.

Note: Some misinformed installers may insist on using the wireless option in the Genie if its an HR44 which has this capability built in. But do not let them and insist just as much for the wired BB DECA should this happen even if it means calling their supervisor.

2) Since you are getting a GenieGo, I would change out the HR24-500 as that model has occasionally been reported as having problems working with it due to some type of bug DIRECTV has yet to correct, assuming they ever will. 

Edited by HoTat2, 23 September 2013 - 03:43 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,656 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

I agree with the others here.  Insist on a wired internet connection.  Wireless is just too flaky

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

You also have the option of forgoing a CCK altogether and can just plug an Ethernet cable into the Genie. The Genie will act as the CCK then. This was not an option with the HR24's.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

1) Of course all CCK's require "power" to operate :)

But yes, what you mean is a "wired" CCK option, which as with most applications, is always better than a wireless one. And if it is possible to run a coax cable near your router the installer will likely use a "BB DECA" kit such as pictured here for this. http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e7eaf841b instead of a CCK-W unit configured for a wired option as lugnutathome describes.

Note: Some misinformed installers may insist on using the wireless option in the Genie if its an HR44 which has this capability built in. But do not let them and insist just as much for the wired BB DECA should this happen even if it means calling their supervisor.

2) Since you are getting a GenieGo, I would change out the HR24-500 as that model has occasionally been reported as having problems working with it due to some type of bug DIRECTV has yet to correct, assuming they ever will. 

indeed, the misinformed CSRs also insist on using the wireless option with the 44.  even the Retention reps tell me that wirless is REQUIRED.  Thanks for the advice --  I will have to route the coax from the Genie to the router (through the attic.  not a trivial excersize...), but thats a small price to pay imho. I see no reason to go wireless if the wired is possible.

related question: It would be best to plug the DECA into the DSL modem itself right?  no need to send DTV traffic through my wireless router (I have an outboard NetGear wireless router in addition to the DSL router). 

as for giving up one of the 24s -- , since I have two 24/500s I'll turn one of those in, leaving me with a 24/500 and a 24/200 in addition to the 44.  That said, does the GenieGo have to be connected to the DVR from which it streams content?  in other words, if I connect GenieGo to the 44, it will not see content physically residing on one of the 24s even though they share playlists?

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,656 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

you shouldn't have two routers in a network configuration. But assuming you actually have a DSL modem and a router, the DECA connects to the router. The GenieGo does not get connected to any receiver but rather your router via ethernet. it will see all the playlist from all of your HDDVRs

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

sorry my mistake;  yes I have a separate DSL modem and Wirless router.  However, the DSL modem (actiontec Q1000) is also a wireless router and I have disabled the wirelss portion.  Thus, it (the DSL modem) functions as a hub, and has an open ethernet connection.  for example, one can directly connect a computer without going through my NetGear Wirelelss router. 

So the way I see it, nothing prevents me from plugging the DECA ethernet side into an open port on the DSL modem, separating this traffic from all the other wireless traffic in the house that occurs behind the wireless router. 

or am I missing something silly here...

#10 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

The GenieGo does not get connected to any receiver but rather your router via ethernet. it will see all the playlist from all of your HDDVRs

So GenieGo does not live on the DTV RG6 WH network at all --  it lives on the ethernet portion of the network and should be connected via CAT5 to the same side of the same router as the DECA then?   Why not connect both DECA and GenieGo to the ActionTec DSL modem/router?  I will have no DTV services that require wireless, so there's no reason for that traffic to cross the wireless router.   However, are you are saying that DTV traffic should be exposed on my wireless network? 

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

You're not going to use any mobile (wifi) devices for GenieGo? Tablets or smarthphones or laptops? 

#12 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

ok duh I was thinking only of travel.  of course ,yes in order to stream to a mobile device in the home, GenieGo would have to appear on that network!  brain fart.   Frankly that wasn't a primary use case so it slipped right by me. 

Does this place any new  bandwidth requirements on the wireless router itself.  I mean aside from streaming to a wifi device.  I assume that the WH traffic, while visible on the wifi network, does not actually cross the wirelss router or impact its bandwidth, right?  And GenieGo traffic would only hit the wireless router if streaming was occuring, so I guess there really isn't any downside to connecting both DECA and GenieGo to the wireless router.  Worst case would be streaming GenieGo while streaming internet content to a TV while multiple laptops were surfing and downloading

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't know the technical answer, but I can tell you about our experience.  We haven't seen any issues with the GenieGo hooked up to our wireless router.  And typically we have 3-4 wireless devices on at once (YouTube, Facebook, NetFlix, Amazon video streaming, Watch Now TV via GenieGo or iPad app and 'normal' web surfing). And more when our daughter is home, another laptop, iPad and cell phone all using our WiFi. And she does all three simultaneously.

#14 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

nice.  what wireless router do you have, or are you using a bundled/como modem/router device such as what is frequently offered with DSL?

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Apple Airport Extreme. 

spam firewall