Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Capturing audio from receiver for streaming?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

Does anyone know of inexpensive devices that would allow you to capture the audio (via either the digital output or the analog RCA output) from a Directv receiver for streaming via wifi? Not interested in a solution that requires a computer, I'm looking for something that would operate standalone.

I'm sure there must be products that are capable of this, I'm just not really sure exactly where to start looking.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

Putting the content on your network is the easy part (and chances are pretty good it won't involve a digital audio input). You need to decide how you want to play the content and that will determine what kind of software you need to serve it up.

Are you looking at generic dnla media streamers or something like the Sonos or Squeezebox that feature a table radio experience?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

What I want is something that will be able to stream audio so it could be played back on iPhones and Android phones. I own a sports bar, and we'll usually have the sound from just one game going at once (it is possible to do more than one, but we only do that when there are two big games on at once, like if the Bears and Packers were playing at the same time)  If we get a random table that wants to watch say the Dolphins game we can put that on a TV for them, but we can't put the sound on the TV itself because either they won't be able to hear it or it'll disturb everyone near them wanting to listen to a different game.

But I was thinking if I had some devices to capture the sound from a given group of receivers so it could be streamed to customer's phones they could have the sound playing on speakerphone at their table (or even via headphones if they were really serious about listening I guess)

Obviously a device that captured the sound and made it available via wifi all-in-one would be perfect, but I could pretty easily put together a simple web server on my wireless router for the phones to connect to for the streaming audio if necessary. I just don't have any idea how to get the sound off the receivers and onto my network.

If there was one device that could take multiple inputs (let's say six) that would be awesome, though I suspect it would probably be cheaper to buy six small devices rather than one capable of capturing sound from a bunch of receivers at once. Like I said, I don't care if it would be the RCA analog audio or the digital output, the speaker quality of the phone will be the obvious weak link in the chain.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

I've been in a number of sports bars that have this via a commercial receiver.  The people at the table can tune to any of the TV's and listen to the sound.  Not sure of their brand name and from what you're said, you're not looking to get into that type of contract/equipment. But maybe the same company sells a device that does the same thing? 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...