Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wired CCK with HR44

HR44 wired Deca

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

Does the HR44 Genie require a Deca if there is a wired CCK in the Whole Home system?

Thanks

Satchaser

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR44-200-->Hitachi 50" LCD, HDMI
H21-100-->Panasonic 32 inch LCD, HDMI
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

Whole Home -- Deca, wired CCK 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

What is your setup? The HR44 has a built-in Wireless DECA and does not require a separate adapter. Please confirm the following with an installer >> If upgrading from HR2x or adding the HR44 to the Whole Home, then the installer may simply be able to disconnect the wired DECA from the Whole Home. However, it is important to consider the signal reliability. Many say the wired DECA for internet connectivity is the way to go (vs. wireless).

Good luck!

-=K=-

#3 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have wireless but the signal strength is unreliable  in the room where the genie will be located. I currently have SWM 16 HR20-700, HR23, and three H21's; WHM, etc. All work great! I would prefer to keep wired DECA (in series with H21) to increase reliability and to keep traffic volume lower on wireless network which has 16 or so devices on  it.

Satchaser

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have wireless but the signal strength is unreliable  in the room where the genie will be located. I currently have SWM 16 HR20-700, HR23, and three H21's; WHM, etc. All work great! I would prefer to keep wired DECA (in series with H21) to increase reliability and to keep traffic volume lower on wireless network which has 16 or so devices on  it.

Satchaser

I'm a little confused here;

All the current receivers you list require external DECA adapters attached for WH service. There then should be another standalone DECA  or purpose made CCK with a power supply which acts as the "BB" one for internet access to the entire cloud.

If you have this then the HR44 can work through this CCK (or BB DECA) for wired internet access.

Then again, some poorly trained installers think the HR44 can only work properly for internet access through their internal wireless CCK. Do not let them do this and insist do not try to activate the HR44's integrated CCK-W if this happens.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm a little confused here;

All the current receivers you list require external DECA adapters attached for WH service. There then should be another standalone DECA  or purpose made CCK with a power supply which acts as the "BB" one for internet access to the entire cloud.

If you have this then the HR44 can work through this CCK (or BB DECA) for wired internet access.

Then again, some poorly trained installers think the HR44 can only work properly for internet access through their internal wireless CCK. Do not let them do this and insist do not try to activate the HR44's integrated CCK-W if this happens.   

Setup as you described HoTat2. external DECA's on all receivers and wired CCK for internet access. HR44 will not have external DECA and will have CoAx hooked to signal port. 

Satchaser

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

#6 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 225 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

What you're proposing will work fine.

The HR44 has built in DECA, so you don't need a DECA Adapter, all you need to do is plugin the coax connection and it will be able to talk to your other HD-DVRs that have the DECA Adapter.

The wired CCK can continue to be used to provide Internet access to all of your HD-DVRs.

Optionally, the HR44 can replace the CCK by plugging in an Ethernet connection to the HR44 or connecting via WiFi - but if you don't have a reliable wireless connection, the wired CCK will continue to work just fine.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#7 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the answers!

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Does the HR44 Genie require a Deca if there is a wired CCK in the Whole Home system?

No DECA necessary.  Like the HR24, that capability is built into the receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

I am having a new install on Saturday. HR44, client to replace one DVR, and a HR24 to replace broken DVR. I have a SWM8 and everything is prewired. I want a wired connection to my router, not wireless. What determines if you use a wired DECA, http://www.solidsign...R0)&c=Satellite or a wired CCK, http://www.solidsign...-kit-(decabb1r0) ? I know the HR44 connects wirelessly, but if you use one of these kits, isn't each DVR then connected via wired to the router? I wouldn't have to plug the ethernet cable into the back of the HR44?

Edited by mridan, 03 October 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

I am having a new install on Saturday. HR44, client to replace one DVR, and a HR24 to replace broken DVR. I have a SWM8 and everything is prewired. I want a wired connection to my router, not wireless. What determines if you use a wired DECA, http://www.solidsign...R0)&c=Satellite or a wired CCK, http://www.solidsign...-kit-(decabb1r0) ? I know the HR44 connects wirelessly, but if you use one of these kits, isn't each DVR then connected via wired to the router? I wouldn't have to plug the ethernet cable into the back of the HR44?

You only need one Ethernet connection from your router to the DECA cloud (the coax network of your receivers). This Ethernet connection can either be an Ethernet cable connected to a Cinema Connection Kit OR an Ethernet cable connected directly to a Genie OR it can be a wireless connection via a wireless CCK OR the wireless setting of the HR44. My suggestion is that if you have the ability to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your Genie, that is the way to go.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

You only need one Ethernet connection from your router to the DECA cloud (the coax network of your receivers). This Ethernet connection can either be an Ethernet cable connected to a Cinema Connection Kit OR an Ethernet cable connected directly to a Genie OR it can be a wireless connection via a wireless CCK OR the wireless setting of the HR44. My suggestion is that if you have the ability to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your Genie, that is the way to go. - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Ok Merg I think I understand how this works now! I have an ethernet cable ready to plug into the HR44. From what I've been reading on the forum is that an ethernet cable plugged into the HR44 is unsupported by D*. I refuse to go wireless. This will be a very easy install for the tech.I hope he doesn't have an issue connecting the HR44 directly to my router.

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

Ok Merg I think I understand how this works now! I have an ethernet cable ready to plug into the HR44. From what I've been reading on the forum is that an ethernet cable plugged into the HR44 is unsupported by D*. I refuse to go wireless. This will be a very easy install for the tech.I hope he doesn't have an issue connecting the HR44 directly to my router.

It is a supported setup, but most techs want to use a CCK still or set up the HR44 via wireless. If they go the wireless route, after they leave just plug in the Ethernet cable and reset the HR44. If they use a CCK, you can either leave it or you can remove it and plug the Ethernet cable into the HR44.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

I am having a new install on Saturday. HR44, client to replace one DVR, and a HR24 to replace broken DVR. I have a SWM8 and everything is prewired. I want a wired connection to my router, not wireless. What determines if you use a wired DECA, http://www.solidsign...R0)&c=Satellite or a wired CCK, http://www.solidsign...-kit-(decabb1r0) ? I know the HR44 connects wirelessly, but if you use one of these kits, isn't each DVR then connected via wired to the router? I wouldn't have to plug the ethernet cable into the back of the HR44?

the two items linked are exactly the same, with the latter being discontinued and no longer being installed

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

When I had my HR-44 installed a few weeks ago the tech hooked it up to the 44 and removed the CCK. I asked him about wireless but he said if I had a wired connection ready that I should use that. Everything works fine.

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

You only need one Ethernet connection from your router to the DECA cloud (the coax network of your receivers). This Ethernet connection can either be an Ethernet cable connected to a Cinema Connection Kit OR an Ethernet cable connected directly to a Genie OR it can be a wireless connection via a wireless CCK OR the wireless setting of the HR44. My suggestion is that if you have the ability to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your Genie, that is the way to go. - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

True;

Although now I would add it's the way to go for those which have some technical knowledge of the nature of this type of hookup.

As VOS pointed out on another thread, DIRECTV also has a good reason for not using this as a supported connection on installation because if customers start doing things like deciding later on to change the location of their receivers, what most who are non-technical do is simply look at the connections on the rear of them and then try to exactly mimic them on the receiver they're replacing it with.

Thus if they swap places with a Genie which has a direct ethernet connection to a router with say an H/HR24 and simply plug the ethernet cable into either of those models, the internet connection to the DECA cloud will be broken of course along with disabling their internal DECAs, and possibly resulting in a complaint and service call to DIRECTV.     

#16 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

True;

Although now I would add it's the way to go for those which have some technical knowledge of the nature of this type of hookup.

As VOS pointed out on another thread, DIRECTV also has a good reason for not using this as a supported connection on installation because if customers start doing things like deciding later on to change the location of their receivers, what most who are non-technical do is simply look at the connections on the rear of them and then try to exactly mimic them on the receiver they're replacing it with.

Thus if they swap places with a Genie which has a direct ethernet connection to a router with say an H/HR24 and simply plug the ethernet cable into either of those models, the internet connection to the DECA cloud will be broken of course along with disabling their internal DECAs, and possibly resulting in a complaint and service call to DIRECTV.     

Please educate me. The HR34/44 has a direct ethernet connection to a router. My HR20-700 which has no internal DECA also has a direct connection, correct? Models such as the HR24 with an internal DECA do not? I thought all the DECA was doing was enabling internet to pass thru coax. So the built in DECA on the HR34/44 is different? It just acts as a bridge to connect other DVR's/devices to the cloud? Thank you for your patience!

#17 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

All HD receivers and DVRs except for the H20 have an ethernet port. Anything prior to the H®24 requires the external DECA module to use DECA networking. While the HR24 has an internal DECA it can only use one or the other - ethernet/DECA.  Only the HR34/44 can act as a bridge internally

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

All HD receivers and DVRs except for the H20 have an ethernet port. Anything prior to the H®24 requires the external DECA module to use DECA networking. While the HR24 has an internal DECA it can only use one or the other - ethernet/DECA.  Only the HR34/44 can act as a bridge internally

Note: Except for the H25 receiver which has no ethernet port either, but only an internal DECA.

So unlike the old H20 which has niether, it is network capable.

Edited by HoTat2, 04 October 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Install was done today! The tech installed an HR44, client, and an HR24 to replace two HR20-700's and a HR23-700. The tech would not connect ethernet to HR44, he said it would only work with a wifi connection. When he left I changed settings in the HR44 and connected it with an ethernet cable to my router. Whole home setup works fine. Pandora and Youtube still not updated on the HR24, but works on the HR44 and the client. Network settings passed on HR24. Whole home, OnDemand, and apps working on HR24. How long before I see YouTube, and Pandora?

Correction YouTube, Pandora, and Apps not working yet on HR24.

Edited by mridan, 05 October 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

at least a day or two

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HR44, wired Deca

spam firewall