Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Upends Ad Model With Toyota Spots for Auto Geeks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,568 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

DirecTV Upends Ad Model With Toyota Spots for Auto Geeks

To reach potential buyers of its all-electric RAV4, Toyota Motor Corp. is using an advertising strategy as experimental as the battery-powered crossover car it seeks to sell.

The automaker is working with DirecTV to zero in on would-be customers identified as tech-savvy early adopters in Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego, where the $50,000 vehicle is sold. They’re using a new tool that combs satellite-TV subscriber data to help marketers like Toyota reach narrow slices of consumers, cutting wasted dollars and improving the effectiveness of ads.

Full Story Here

DirecTV_Operation_4.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

It just boggles my mind as to the amount of information is being gathered and stored about the American people. 
Between the corporate world and the government, there is close to nothing that these people do not know about each of us.

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#3 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,568 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

It just boggles my mind as to the amount of information is being gathered and stored about the American people. 
Between the corporate world and the government, there is close to nothing that these people do not know about each of us.

It's mind numbing to try and think about how much data is collected on all of us.  By the way, why have you been wearing the same shirt now for three days in a row?

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

So the ads are transmitted ahead of time and stored on the HDDVR  and replace various ads through out the day.

Hmmm.

So as a tech head, I am going to see a (for example) an exciting big screen internet ready TV ad with considerable T&A tonite at 7:38PM, but my neighbor next door is going to see a dull as toast commercial for a Dodge Ram pickup.

Hate to tarnish the glow on this, but I am actually going to replace my pickup before I replace my TV.

Oops.

And I am sure the Dodge people are going to pay full price for their ad time, and that specific ad won't get to me.  I might think the 'regular' advertisers are going to have a little heart burn with this.

Maybe an 'opt out' system would work better?  I can make my negative preferences known (feminine hygiene products, and any ad with a little barky dog in it) and those ads never make it to my TV screen.

I like my idea better.

#5 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,387 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

They already replace ads throughout the day. All the times that are allocated for local ads to be inserted by local TV stations or cable providers. You know, like the ad from the car dealer across town shouting about his big deals.

What does a satellite provider do with local ads? They can resell them to other national providers, or use them themselves (Directv ads about an upcoming PPV event or telling you to subscribe to Sunday Ticket)

So it makes sense to use the ability to insert ads locally so you get different content. Of course you can come up with scenarios where it doesn't work, but it only has to work on average. On average people who buy a lot of CE goods will be more interested in an ad about a new TV, and people who replace their pickup truck every two years like clockwork will be more interested in an ad about a Dodge Ram. I'm sure cable providers are working on this capability too if they don't already have it. Fortunately I don't have to see it because I use a Tivo rather than the cable company's DVR :)

I guess this capability would only work on TVs that are connected to a Directv DVR. If you had a DVR and a regular receiver next to each other, you'd see two different ads, since the receiver has nowhere to store the ad for later playback.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

It's mind numbing to try and think about how much data is collected on all of us.  By the way, why have you been wearing the same shirt now for three days in a row?

Gotcha.  I have three identical shirts.  :hurah:  But they know that from looking at my credit card data.

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Well, as for the already replaced ads, I assume everyone in my DMA sees the same local ad inserted.  This new technique potentially has everybody on my street seeing a different ad tonite at 7:38PM.

And the poor folks at Dodge, are still paying full tilt for their national advertising campaign, and nobody on my street sees their ad at all.

I understand the driver for this (mo' money, mo' money, mo' money)  but it is annoying I am paying extra (some feel a great deal extra) for an advanced receiver set up, and the industry is double dipping the advertisers, and ME to get their ads in front of my eyeballs, in my home, on my TV.

I might agree to this, how ever, in exchange for a STRICT limit of 10 minutes of ads/hour instead of the current 22+.

#8 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,112 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Dodge would not get hurt in your example, if the ad is sold as a national ad it can not be replaced by a local insert. Only specific time slots are available for local insert and when a national ad is placed in one of those slots it is priced accordingly and the advertiser know it wont be seen everywhere.

DirecTv has been doing local inserts for a while, all that is new is the very directed targeting.  Previously it was just geographic areas.

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,568 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

If the 'targeting' is close to accurate, I may actually like this.  If we must live with ads, and of course we must, then ads tailored to my interests and buying habits are preferable to the old shotgun approach.  I might actually see something that is of value to me......

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

I understand the driver for this (mo' money, mo' money, mo' money)  but it is annoying I am paying extra (some feel a great deal extra) for an advanced receiver set up, and the industry is double dipping the advertisers, and ME to get their ads in front of my eyeballs, in my home, on my TV.

I might agree to this, how ever, in exchange for a STRICT limit of 10 minutes of ads/hour instead of the current 22+.

Why are you assuming that they will be using your DVR to store these commercials?

#11 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Why are you assuming that they will be using your DVR to store these commercials?

If the commercials aren't stored on the hard drives of DVRs, they will have to be transmitted in real time when the commercial is supposed to air.  That's going to take more transponders on the satellites.

Edited by bakers12, 23 September 2013 - 01:55 PM.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#12 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Because that's how DirecTV has been delivering the local ads for the past few years. It's pushed into reserve space overnight along with the Showroom and select VOD content and then played back during a local avail.

National advertisers are not affected by this, when a local avail is set the channel itself usually has either PSAs or generic promos. For markets that have local ads, DVRs see a local ad, in markets that don't have it and non-DVRs you see DirecTV specific promos. (i.e. PPV Event promos, DirecTV Cinema trailers, movers connection, Dish vs DirecTV promos, ads for programming on other channels that specify the DirecTV channel number)

#13 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Because the linked article said so.

:righton:

#14 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Well, as for the already replaced ads, I assume everyone in my DMA sees the same local ad inserted.  This new technique potentially has everybody on my street seeing a different ad tonite at 7:38PM.

And the poor folks at Dodge, are still paying full tilt for their national advertising campaign, and nobody on my street sees their ad at all.

Actually, no, Dodge would only pay for those ads about Dodge actually delivered to people on your street.  That's really the point.  Today an advertiser has to do the shotgun approach and just hit everyone, even someone that is not in their target area.  They pay for all of it.  With this technology, only those that fit a certain target for that ad see the ad and the advertiser is charged accordingly.  Think of it like a Google advertisement where you and I can be on Google at the same time, but we are going to see different ads presented to us based on the data they have on each of us.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

That's where they are, for now.  I suppose the cloud who could deliver them via broadband as well.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,175 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'm guessing that injecting them from the HDD is several times more reliable than depending on live internet, as well as reaching many more targets (not every person, rich or bright or otherwise, has his unit connected to the 'net.)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...