Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Long time dish user with three DVR's and one non-DVR receiver, all HD, and way more programming than I need.   :eek2:

Considering switching to the Hopper, but looked at the specs and was surprised to see only three receivers (plus OTA, which is sporadic here).  I am a bit concerned, given two of the three DVR's are very active, that this is going to be a step down in terms of what we record.  Can someone help cut through a bit of the advertising hype and answer a question about how those receivers work?

If we have (say) four scheduled things to record, and two of them are on the networks, will the "prime time network" feature be able to use one receiver? 

Does it matter if it's in "prime time" or not, can all four major networks always be recorded on one receiver, regardless of how scheduled?   Or does that four-in-one recording only work when you schedule it to record all four as a separate schedule (i.e. not two items for two different programs that just happen to be on the networks)?

I was very surprised to see the Joey's were wired, somehow I had the impression this was wireless.  Right now all my receivers are wired to one DPP44 which is in the attic.  I assume to switch, I'm going to have to run coax (right?  or ethernet?) from the location I put the hopper to each receiver.  I don't want to put it up where the DPP44 is (which would be easy wiring wise) as it's in a hot attic.  In other words, three of the four receiving are going to need new coax run, is that correct? 

I see others have more than one hopper, but I can't find how Dish handles pricing for that (and I never want to call Dish without knowing most of the answer before I call).  Anyone know how that would be priced, then I'd swap one DVR for a hopper, use it to go to two other rooms, and on the more active other DVR replace it with a second hopper.  Still need to run two additional coax runs I guess.  

Can two hoppers work off of one coax each coming from one DPP44? 

If there's a better place to find this information please point.  I read the FAQ, which is where I learned what I think I know, but didn't see much about installations and wiring.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,016 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

You've mistakenly used the term "receiver" in reference to a device typically called a "tuner". A non-DVR (ViP211) is customarily referred to as a "receiver".

The Hopper has three tuners, one of which can be used to tune your local Big Four (typically).

How many tuners you need depends on how much live TV you watch and how the content is distributed between the Big Four and cable channels. It is imperative to recognize that a lot of cable channel content plays multiple times in a week. If you don't catch it the first time, there's usually two or three additional opportunities to get it; sometimes the next playing follows immediately (AMC does this with at least one show) and other times it is only three hours away.

If you watch a lot of live TV on a DVR, you're probably not doing it right. A single Hopper probably won't satisfy someone who wants to watch several cable channels live.

To determine what you need, you must take all of the programming your household watches collectively and see if you can't figure out a way that all the programs can be recorded in a reasonable time period. If there is a lot of overlap between your existing DVRs, it shouldn't be very difficult. If there isn't much overlap, you may have difficulty with a single Hopper.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Thank you "harsh", I mis-spoke with the terminology, and thank you for the general advice, though I had already realized I have an issue of recording conflicts which is why I am asking. 

Any chance you know the specific answer? Take the scenario as described: I have four overlapping recordings scheduled, two are from other sources (let's say HBO and Showtime), and one is on ABC and one is on NBC.  I have them set up as regular recording timers (or whatever the hopper calls them), I do not have the Prime Time feature turned on (or perhaps they are playing at a time outside the window).

Will all four record (because it is able to use one tuner for both ABC and NBC), or will only three of the four record? 

Same scenario with the prime time enabled, and assume the overlap was in prime time: will it record AND SAVE the two explicitly scheduled shows more than the 8 days?   I often travel for weeks at a time, and while I don't want every show in prime time for several weeks, I do want the ones I explicitly requested.  (And no, I really don't want to remember and log in remotely and save them each week, even if that's an option).  

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Just to clarify, the 3-tuner Hopper can actually tune to 6 different channels at once, if 4 of those channels are your "big-4 locals".  If you don't want or need to record off the locals than it can tune to 3 simultaneous channels (plus OTA if you get the dongle).  One Hopper can feed several Joeys.  Joeys are "thin clients", they have every feature of the Hopper except for the actual hard drive (they also cannot give you PIP).  The Joeys output is HD just like the Hopper.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Just to clarify, the 3-tuner Hopper can actually tune to 6 different channels at once, if 4 of those channels are your "big-4 locals".  If you don't want or need to record off the locals than it can tune to 3 simultaneous channels (plus OTA if you get the dongle).  One Hopper can feed several Joeys.  Joeys are "thin clients", they have every feature of the Hopper except for the actual hard drive (they also cannot give you PIP).  The Joeys output is HD just like the Hopper.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Thank you "harsh", I mis-spoke with the terminology, and thank you for the general advice, though I had already realized I have an issue of recording conflicts which is why I am asking. 

Any chance you know the specific answer? Take the scenario as described: I have four overlapping recordings scheduled, two are from other sources (let's say HBO and Showtime), and one is on ABC and one is on NBC.  I have them set up as regular recording timers (or whatever the hopper calls them), I do not have the Prime Time feature turned on (or perhaps they are playing at a time outside the window).

Will all four record (because it is able to use one tuner for both ABC and NBC), or will only three of the four record? 

Same scenario with the prime time enabled, and assume the overlap was in prime time: will it record AND SAVE the two explicitly scheduled shows more than the 8 days?   I often travel for weeks at a time, and while I don't want every show in prime time for several weeks, I do want the ones I explicitly requested.  (And no, I really don't want to remember and log in remotely and save them each week, even if that's an option).  

It doesn't matter anymore if you have PTAT enabled or not, you can record all 4 network channels at once.  So in your scenario you would be able to record HBO, Showtime, ABC and NBC at the same time.

If you set specific timers for primetime shows on the "big-4" those recordings will be saved until you delete them or the system needs to delete them because it is out of space.  There is no 8 day limit.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#7 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

It doesn't matter anymore if you have PTAT enabled or not, you can record all 4 network channels at once.  So in your scenario you would be able to record HBO, Showtime, ABC and NBC at the same time.

If you set specific timers for primetime shows on the "big-4" those recordings will be saved until you delete them or the system needs to delete them because it is out of space.  There is no 8 day limit.

Perfect!  Thank you.

Am I correct about the wiring?   Replacing 4 receivers I have now that are wired to a DPP44 in the attic will mean running new coax to 3 of those from wherever the hopper goes, instead of from the DPP44 (or conversely running 3 additional runs back up to where the DPP44 was and splice it from there, which is largely the same thing?  Or are there alternatives? 

Also, any ideas on what happens if I want two hoppers, cost wise? 

#8 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

The Solo or Dual Node would be placed near your existing DPP44 switch and in all likelihood, the existing cable would be utilized as is. As far as pricing goes, a Hopper system upgrade could cost from $0 to several hundred $ depending on your account history with DISH. I just did a 2 Hoppers w/Sling and 4 Joey upgrade and it didn't cost the customer a dime.

#9 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Thank you Godfather (gosh, I always wanted to say that :)).

I also did some reading after posting (my apologies to all who helped that I didn't read before) and stumbled across wiring diagrams, and it all makes sense now.   It seems to me the safest thing (to keep from conflicts with my wife's timers) is to get two hoppers, and two joey's to replace the 4 current receivers.  That means in the primary points of use we have 3 tuners instead of 2, and more when timers are for network shows.   It was that Node Duo that I needed to see to understand.  I don't know if I have RG6 to all locations (it's what I run but I think some is original home wiring) but without tabs it seems likely it will work.

One last pre-order question: the OTA adapter.  Right now I have a diplexer bringing the OTA signal from the antenna to each receiver (which is near where the Node Duo will go).  Can the Diplexer be used with the Hopper just as a regular receiver? 

#10 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Diplexors and the Hopper system don't play well together. Run some new coax (3ghz min) from the Node location to the Hopper and use the existing coax for your OTA.. 

P.S. "Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me." 

Edited by VDP07, 24 September 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Diplexors and the Hopper system don't play well together. Run some new coax (3ghz min) from the Node location to the Hopper and use the existing coax for your OTA.. 

P.S. "Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me." 

Painful, but I understand, thank you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...