Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Odd Storm Interruption Messages

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   What is TV?

What is TV?

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Accuweather tends to alert for storms nowhere near, but the last one, yesterday evening, was for a thunder storm, with intense rain, that was in our area. While we were watching a program, and recording another on a HR-22,  the storm arrived. It had been raining off and on for a while, but now it was intense, and dthe thunder quite loud. Storm center was likely north of us, and as the house is direct-gain passive-solar, it is oriented to the south,  we did not see the lighning.

An usuual message appeared, stating that there was a problem with Tuner #2, and giving instructions to check the cables to the receiver and to check the dish; the latter instructions was not one I was going to do under the cirucmstances. The second entry in the message said to press Select; I have no idea what Select is, having no such buttton on my Logitech Harmony One remote, and having never see that word on the TV screen as far as I recollect.

I chnaged channels, which brought up a working progrram, so switiched back to the one we were watching; now, the program seemed to be on the tv screen, but frozen. After a short while, it started working again.

I presumed that the problem was really a "Searching for Signal' one, although that message, which I have seen a few times during severe weather, did not appear, and that the recorded program would have a gap in it. When I  went to play the recording, there was a mesage about a gap due to transmission problems. I watched the one-hour-long program, and never saw a gap; it might have been there during a commercial break as I was fast-forwarding, but as I knew about how long before the end of the live program the interruption had occurred, I did watch for a gap in the recorded program around that same time, and did notd see one.

Is what I saw about Tuner2 having a problem something that replaced the former searcing for signal message, or some other mysterious other whatever ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

SFSS in tuner 2 means that tuner 2 is not getting satellite signal.  there can be circumstances where  one tuner gets a signal while the other one don't.  an example is if you are watching SD on tuner 1 and tuner two is recording an HD broadcast.  since HD sats are more susceptible to rain fade, tuner 2 might not get a signal in this case

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

is this the new rain fade message? because i get this message also

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

is this the new rain fade message? because i get this message also

See post #2

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

See post #2

if i knew what SFSS mean, i wouldn't asked

#6 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

SFSS is Searching For Satellite Signal which in this case would be rain fade

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

if i knew what SFSS mean, i wouldn't asked

opps, you should ahve ask what SFFS stand for

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

SFSS is Searching For Satellite Signal which in this case would be rain fade

thanks

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

BTW, on my Harmony remote the "OK" button is the "Select" button on a DirecTV remote.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   What is TV?

What is TV?

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the explanations. I ought to have mentionned that this was a very fast-moving storm; I estimate that the intense rain only lasted a minute or two.

I believe that both the live and recorded programs were HD, but am not positive about that.

Any idea about the mesage in the recording that it had been interrupted? If it really was, would that not have caused the usual "We don't know where our satellite is, and are looking for it" message to have appeared, rather than the Tuner 2 message that we did get?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...