Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Overnight Buffer Question for HR-34 Genie

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I just recently (1 month ago) got a free upgrade to a whole home system, which included an HR-34 and a Mini Client.  Also in the network is my previously owned HR-24.

My question is:

Prior to my whole home system, when I turned my system off at night and left the TV on a specific station, when I turned the system on in the morning, my HR-24 DVR came up with the same station as the night before and there was a full 90 minute buffer (obviously, this only occurred when I did not have two programs recording during the night at the same time).

On the new Genie, when I turn the system off at night, I would have thought that I would get the same 90 minute buffer when I turned the system on in the morning.  So far, I seem to be getting a buffer about 1 time in 10.  Does anyone have any information on why this may be happening?  Since the Genie can handle 5 recordings at once, I have never exceeded this, so I would expect to get a buffer in the morning on the same channel that was on when I turned the system off.  However, when I turn my system on, there is no buffer at all.

Maybe there is some setting that I have not yet set on my new Genie.  Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mike :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Nope, no setting missed. it is by design.  if you want the buffer, you need to record the show

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,232 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Something that is low maintenance and sure fire: Set a Series Link for a morning show you want the buffer to be on, and extend it by three hours. Set it to keep one episode. That way you'll always have a "buffer substitute" on the channel you choose. For one off changes, set a recording as Peds says.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:21 AM

Thanks guys.  Seems like I didn't overlook anything.  Guess it's just the way the HR-34 is designed.  I'll just have to remember to record something in the morning for several hours so that I can fast forward through the morning commercials.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

Remember that logically when you had only 2 tuners having the last 90 minute buffer on the last watched channel was pretty easy to do.  Now there are 5 tuners and the logic becomes much different.  That is why you only get the buffer 1 out of 10 times.  If you truly left it on a channel overnight, and nothing recorded or downloaded from Directv overnight, you would still have that 90 minute buffer.

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,726 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Remember that logically when you had only 2 tuners having the last 90 minute buffer on the last watched channel was pretty easy to do.

By extension, that would mean that all tuners are involved in buffering, just as they were with the HR2x. No difference there.

Logically, the chance that the tuner you're interested in would be needed for other tasks is REDUCED by a factor of 2.5. Logic doesn't support the anecdotal results.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Both tuners are not buffered on the HR2x series....only the active one.....unless you turn on double play.

#8 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,232 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Thanks guys.  Seems like I didn't overlook anything.  Guess it's just the way the HR-34 is designed.  I'll just have to remember to record something in the morning for several hours so that I can fast forward through the morning commercials.

Nothing to remember. See post 3.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

From my observations over the past several months with a HR34 and a Mini-client is that, just like the HR2X DVRs, there is one tuner that is always buffering.  However, unlike the HR2X DVRs, the Genie has the possibility of a tuner being used by a remote client.  As a result, all tuners seem to be in a "pool" from which they are assigned for use (including on the Genie itself), apparently at random.  This means that sometimes you'll get the "currently buffering" tuner when you turn on the device, and sometimes you don't.  I've gotten a buffered tuner on both the mini-client and the Genie at times.  It also appears that it takes some time (several minutes) for a tuner to go back into the pool.  Until it does, turning the device back on will default you back to the same tuner (ie. the same channel with a full buffer).  After a while, though, turning the Genie or the mini-client back on will give you a different tuner (no buffer and sometimes a different channel).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...