Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which is better? Gateway or Dell?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:20 PM

"To hard to find compatable products."

JohnGfun, I run FreeBSD on one box, XP on another and several Macs running OS X which is also UNIX. Your comment is one of the MANY misconceptions about the Macintosh. I have never had trouble finding anything, hardware or software to do anything I wanted to do on the Macs. I have experience with most OS's and personally prefer to run the one that is the most elegant and stable, OS X.

Don't get your panties in a bunch! I would rather stick with Micorsoft.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:41 PM

Our department is about 25% Dell, 25% Gateway, 50% Apple. In general I've had less trouble with hardware on the Apples, but often have to reinstall the OS (not enough experience with OS X yet to know how it fares). Also when unwarrantied Apples do die you pretty much have to toss them because repair costs are so high for the macs-- something that happens a bit too often with older iMacs because getting 3 years of support was extra for apple but is standard with the PCs.

Between Dell and Gateway, both have great tech support and I've never had trouble getting any part sent out promptly although both companies have stopped shipping replacement parts overnight as a standard service option. You can beg and plead for faster service however and get overnight shipment with either company though.

With Gateway I've been able to get a complete motherboard/CPU/memory replacement to pop into a dead computer, while Dell refused to send more than one part at a time which lengthened the down time.

Anyway thats my experience with 10 years working with all three companies. No company is safe from standard problems like dead hard drives, which is my #1 computer support issue.

#23 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:05 PM

I had always liked Apple in the past but have not been buying it because a lot of the websites will not have certain applications and games work with Apple OS. I bought my first Dell and it is a Insiron 8500 laptop with a cd and dvd burner, 512 mb memory, 40 GB hard drive, 2.4 Pentium M processor, 15.4 WSGA+ widescreen, and built in wireless card. It is pretty nice and I have it as a replacement and upgrade from my previous desktop.

#24 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:04 AM

For that kinda money - Apple
For a cheap, good, Windows PC - one of eMachines' AMD systems
I hate to say it but Gateway and Dell have high prices and nothing special to offer. Not even good tech support. Dell even sends calls for Dimension systems to India (no, I'm not anti-outsourcing or anti-Indian. It's just really hard to understand their accents and the VoIP call routing makes it impossible...)

#25 OFFLINE   Stosh

Stosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:19 AM

Any advice? Can't Decide. :)

The answer is - both. I've worked with hundreds of both Gateway and Dell computers at my company, and I can't see any advantage to either. Over time, each company may leapfrog the other in features or price, but then the other catches up.

My advice would be to go to both web sites, configure the PC you want at each, and then call them; don't place your order via the web. Talk to a live salesperson, and you can very likely get a lower price than what is quoted on the web site. That is especially true if you say, "Dell offers a similar PC for $xxx less than your Gateway" (or vice versa). They want to move product, and are usually willing to negotiate prices to some degree.

By the way, don't be taken in by the "special promotions" you sometimes see, where they offer a "free" cd-writer or something. The prices are adjusted to account for those promotions, so they generally aren't anything special.

#26 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,926 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:59 AM

For the desktop systems at work, it's "whatever the boss finds on special this week".

I tend to disagree with a on-board video. It's dependent on a user. For my mom who just browses the internet or the accounting department, on-board video is more than adequate.

I build my own systems, and they end up costing more than pre-built ones, partially because I use a higher-end video card components, and know how to modify stuff to fit my needs. In a few months, I'll probably get a DVD writer. Maybe.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#27 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 03:33 PM

In a few months, I'll probably get a DVD writer. Maybe.

Got my first DVD burner in December last year. (Pioneer A06 -/+ R and RW). Haven't stopped using it since. Got a whole load of big files off my hard drives 4.7gb is so much better than 700mb! And now I can make DVDs to play on the standalones as well. I don't miss those VCDs or SVCDs I used to make one little bit!
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#28 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:23 PM

I had no luck getting a cheaper price on the phone with Dell than what they advertised so I went on Ebay to get mine.

#29 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:11 PM

I've never owned a GW but own about 7 Dells between work and home. I'm not quite as impressed with Dells service as I was several years back. I've had a few issues with some of the Dells but all in all, they are a good product. I guess when you sell as many computers as Dell it must be hard to handle all the service issues. I've found it almost impossible to get good tech support from Dell in the last couple of years. The main problem I have run into is being able to understand the tech support people I have spoken with. I am certainly not opposed to anyone working as tech support but in my opinion they should have a good phone voice and have a good working knowledge of the English language. I understand that much of the technical support phone calls are being re-routed to other countries. That is my main complaint with Dell tech support. On the other hand I cannot say enough good about Apple support. I have 3 Macs and have spoken to Apple tech support on many occasions and have been very impressed with their professional manner and knowledge of their product. Sorry I strayed from the subject. Dell or Gateway. I actually don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Do your homework, know what you want and how much you can pay..... either will do the job.

#30 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

feel the same way, it is very hard to understand Dell tech support alot, and if your questions are advanced or about things that they installed, but were made by someone else, than you are out of luck. I have not been all the impressed with Gateway either, and I have never had personal experience with Apple. Has the original poster of this thread made a choice yet? what does he think? :)

#31 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:44 PM

I've been very happy with the service I got from Gateway. I haven't had to call them for about 8 months, but the last time I did I was happy with the CSR's knowledge and willingness to help. I never felt rushed to get off the phone and he was obviously an American based in this country as there was no accent and I didn't have to struggle to understand him (and vice versa). It was a bad power supply and they shipped it to me in 48 hours.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#32 Guest_Splino_*

Guest_Splino_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:49 PM

Sony VAIO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...