Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR44, odd "orange" skin tones.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

My sketchy HR34 got swapped out on Saturday for an HR44-500. Doesn't have the issues the 34 did, but one thing that that was very noticeable was people are looking very "orange", as far as skin tone. I figured "new receiver, different chip or whatever, I'll just adjust the color", but by the time I adjust the color so that the skin tones look "normal", the other colors aren't vibrant at all. Huge, noticeable difference between this and the 34 that got swapped out.Don't recall ever adjusting color after swapping a receiver, so obviously my HR24 looked fine as well. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Thanks!

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

I've seen reports where people swear the picture is better, or worse, or too saturated, or tint is wrong, etc.  Visual memory is problematic at best, but you might find a guide for setting your color controls. I used an online guide from CNET for my Samsung plasma. 

What TV/monitor have you?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

I've seen reports where people swear the picture is better, or worse, or too saturated, or tint is wrong, etc.  Visual memory is problematic at best, but you might find a guide for setting your color controls. I used an online guide from CNET for my Samsung plasma. 

What TV/monitor have you?

It's a Samsung DLP. HLP 5063, to be exact. 2004 model......I know,I know. It's almost a dinosaur. It's been a pretty good tv, and until this HR44, I haven't seen anything this dramatic. Not that I couldn't seem to adjust out. Have the reports you've seen referred to just the 44, or the 34 as well. I wonder if this could be something specific to the HR44-500, as opposed to the 200 or 700.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:27 AM

Interesting. We now have two members saying they've noticed a difference in picture quality after replacing their HR34s with a HR44.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

Yes, but in this case, the picture quality appears to be worse with the 44.

Or could it be that his 2004 model DLP is the problem?

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

Yes, but in this case, the picture quality appears to be worse with the 44.

Or could it be that his 2004 model DLP is the problem?

Both cases. In the "Picture Quality HR44 V HR34" thread raromr reported the picture quality seemed washed out after his HR34 was replaced with a HR44. He also reported the HR44 was replaced several times but the issue remained.

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

It's a Samsung DLP. HLP 5063, to be exact. 2004 model......I know,I know. It's almost a dinosaur. It's been a pretty good tv, and until this HR44, I haven't seen anything this dramatic. Not that I couldn't seem to adjust out. Have the reports you've seen referred to just the 44, or the 34 as well. I wonder if this could be something specific to the HR44-500, as opposed to the 200 or 700.

Possible. The reports I've read cover every single unit made. Never more than a few, but people experience them. Leaving aside the HR24-500 which output RGB instead of CYMK.  Some of these differences could be the set didn't like to be moved, or have connections changed. Some were perception only I suspect. Those cases that aren't in the above category remain a mystery. 

Time for a new beast! (TV, that is). OLEDs are nice....and now under $10,000..... :)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,815 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Both cases. In the "Picture Quality HR44 V HR34" thread raromr reported the picture quality seemed washed out after his HR34 was replaced with a HR44. He also reported the HR44 was replaced several times but the issue remained.

Did they list manufacture model numbers?

#9 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Possible. The reports I've read cover every single unit made. Never more than a few, but people experience them. Leaving aside the HR24-500 which output RGB instead of CYMK.  Some of these differences could be the set didn't like to be moved, or have connections changed. Some were perception only I suspect. Those cases that aren't in the above category remain a mystery. 

Time for a new beast! (TV, that is). OLEDs are nice....and now under $10,000..... :)

Yeah, this still has a good picture, but they've come so far since 2004. Money has been tight, so it hasn't been a priority.

I doubt it's the set though, as all I did was change from an HR34 to the 44. It's dramatic too. I took the color down to a point where it's a little better, but it's not until a point when the other colors don't look vibrant enough. It's weird though.....it seems like it depends on the lighting a person is in, to some extent too. We were watching The Voice last night, and they'd be talking to a person in a setting, and they were flat orange looking, and that same person would be shown in a different setting, and look fairly normal, so not sure what is going on there. I know TV is different from channel to channel, commercial to show, etc. etc., but this is beyond that. For the most part, people are orange. Everyone pretty much looks like they have that spray tan on. Never saw anything like this with the HR24, not the HR34, so it's hard for me to think it could be the set.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

Did they list manufacture model numbers?

raromr posted his issues were with the HR44-200.

#11 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Possible. The reports I've read cover every single unit made. Never more than a few, but people experience them. Leaving aside the HR24-500 which output RGB instead of CYMK. 

Well, I didn't have this problem with my HR24-500, which you say outputs RGB, but I also didn't have this issue with the HR34, which I'm assuming outputs CYMK, just like the 44, yes? I've tried different inputs, backing off the color as far as I can and still appearing "normal".....and I can't completely get rid of the "orange" tone. It's pretty annoying.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#12 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

I just got my HR 44-700 yesterday and although it's not been ;long enough to say for sure, it appeared to me that the flesh-tones were a bit more orange.  I've had my TV (Samsung UN55B8000) calibrated within the last year.  I came from an HR20-700.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

#13 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

I just got my HR 44-700 yesterday and although it's not been ;long enough to say for sure, it appeared to me that the flesh-tones were a bit more orange.  I've had my TV (Samsung UN55B8000) calibrated within the last year.  I came from an HR20-700.

Hmmm....interesting. At least someone else is seeing something similar to what I'm seeing. The part that annoys me is, so far, I can't adjust it out, without sacrificing other tones to the point where it still doesn't look right.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#14 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

HR24-500 was the only model with the NXP chip that put out RGB 444 colorspace. RGB is a poor decision because it can cause issues with many devices, still dont get why Roku does this.

All other models are ycbcr 444, including my HR44-200 from Samsung. I assume thats a Broadcom chip. I havent watched it must yet, but my VT50 was done by Chad B and I havent noticed any problems. Broadcast HD is hard to critique anyways, so much variance and compression issues.

Fleshtone problems are, however, easily noticed.

Edited by Jason Whiddon, 03 October 2013 - 10:20 AM.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#15 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Broadcast HD is hard to critique anyways, so much variance and compression issues.

Fleshtone problems are, however, easily noticed.

Yeah, that's the thing.......like you said, there can be huge variances, which simply is what it is. I'm ok with that. Nothing else is really bugging me except the flesh tones.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

I have several receivers including an hr44 and I've seen minor color differences in each. Nothing that minor changes to calibration can't fix.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

I have several receivers including an hr44 and I've seen minor color differences in each. Nothing that minor changes to calibration can't fix.

I've tried adjusting this out, and I can't, without making the other colors look abnormally weak.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#18 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

I've tried adjusting this out, and I can't, without making the other colors look abnormally weak.

Though its very old school, have you tried adjusting with a blue filter?

Essentially, tint runs on the REC 709 line between red and green. To get less orange, you would move the tint towards the green. From your description, this could be throwing your blue and red off. Of course, normally, you would adjust the color saturation to make up for that loss of chroma.

#19 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Though its very old school, have you tried adjusting with a blue filter?

Essentially, tint runs on the REC 709 line between red and green. To get less orange, you would move the tint towards the green. From your description, this could be throwing your blue and red off. Of course, normally, you would adjust the color saturation to make up for that loss of chroma.

Well, believe it or not, this set doesn't allow tint adjustment except for in analog. Kind of mind boggling actually, but it's true. The "tint" adjustment is grayed out in Component and HDMI. There are different pictures modes that didn't help, and there is DNIE and some other digital noise reduction. There is a thing called "my color control" when set a certain way.....can't remember exactly what has to be done to have that control available, but when it is, red, green and blue can be adjusted, but they can only be added from the point it's at, and I remember messing with it, and it didn't do anything that was better, only drastically increased those 3 colors. I know none of that is probably making sense, but maybe I'll mess with again tomorrow, and see if I get lucky. It is 2004 technology, but it seems like it should be as simple as some kind of adjustment.

I may be able to go into the service menu and change a couple things, but my knowledge with that is extremely limited. I went in there once and adjusted the index delay, I think it was, and gamma. The goal was to get rid of this "blocking", or cartoonish look,  if you will, in darker scenes, and it was a common issue with this particular set, so I simply followed some instructions found on AVS Forums.

In fact...this is exactly what I followed...

I changed my INDEX DELAY and changed my GAMMA setting to 1, most people in these threads have put their GAMMA setting at 0, but it is a preference. Here is how I went into the Service Menu (SM), I began with my television off, in sequential order on my Samsung remote I pressed MUTE-1-8-2-POWER and gave it a few seconds and the SM will came up very shortly after the TV started. From there, using the arrow keys I scrolled down to 1. DDP1011, then using the right arrow key I entered DDP1011 menu and then scrolled down to "INDEX DELAY" and pushed the right arrow key to enter INDEX DELAY, and in this adjustment there was a red bar along the bottom of the screen. The idea of the adjustment is to make that bar the truest "RED" as possible. There will be a number, mine was 44 when I started and I have since adjusted it down to 31. That was my set and that was based on what my naked eye could see as the truest red. Once complete I hit the "Menu Button" on my remote key pad to take me out of "INDEX DELAY". When I finished I turn-off the television using the power button and waited at least 30 seconds before powering on my set. This allowed the changes to take place. I then went into my User Menu (UM) and change my Dynamic picture and Cinema picture settings to my taste. As a disclaimer: I take no responsibility for your actions, this is completely up to you, I am just telling you what worked for me.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

Im not seeing any issues, was finally able to watch some recorded stuff last night. I do note that the image on locals, ESPN and Nat Geo is noticeably more sharp and defined vs my Dish PQ, but most people already know that. 

Color on Directv is a little different from Dish. It's almost like Directv has a higher contrast look or something, while Dish colors are more warm. Neither look bad, its the extra compression I take issue with.

Other than no stop button on the remote, I dont have anything to complain about yet.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...