Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR44, odd "orange" skin tones.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,904 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

That sounds like you really went above and beyond on that. It's funny, I have one TV that is much more sensitive to different receivers and it's a 2007-model LCD. At one point I was told it had a 16-bit color processor where almost every TV made now has a 32-bit ones except the very cheapest.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

That sounds like you really went above and beyond on that. It's funny, I have one TV that is much more sensitive to different receivers and it's a 2007-model LCD. At one point I was told it had a 16-bit color processor where almost every TV made now has a 32-bit ones except the very cheapest.

I tried looking into what mine has after reading this, and I found a page on calibrating a Samsung DLP

http://www.gadgetbench.com/hlpnotes/

which I don't intend to do at this point, but this part here says it's an 8 bit color processor:

"When using an HDMI connection there are a few different formats that can be sent to the display. The most common are RGB (8-bit), YCbCr 4:2:2 (10-bit), YCbCr 4:4:4 (8-bit). The HLP will accept any of these formats, however they are all converted to RGB (8-bit) by the HDMI receiver chip. All data is passed through the set as RGB (8-bit), therefore there is no advantage from the set's perspective to receive any other format. One however may potentially choose another format if the source does a poor job with its RGB signal. In reality however it seems that devices get their YCbCr output wrong far more often than their RGB output. For instance many upconverting DVD players send an HD YCbCr signal using SD encodings resulting in a noticeable color shift on screen."

if I'm understanding it correctly. It also uses a color wheel, for whatever that's worth. It's been a good set, but it is definitely old technology

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#23 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

For instance many upconverting DVD players send an HD YCbCr signal using SD encodings resulting in a noticeable color shift on screen."

That is because SD uses REC 601 colorspace and HD uses REC 709. The TV expects to see REC 709 on any HD connection (some do have a way to change this on an input buried in their menu). If the HD output is REC 601 or incorrectly converting REC 601 to REC 709 prior to output, you will have issues with colors.

if I'm understanding it correctly. It also uses a color wheel, for whatever that's worth. It's been a good set, but it is definitely old technology

All DLPs use a color wheel, which had their own issues. It makes no sense that one would not have a color/tint setting, though possibly not labelled in those terms, as the bulb used on the DLP will change over time so those would be needed regardless.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 04 October 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

It makes no sense that one would not have a color/tint setting, though possibly not labelled in those terms, as the bulb used on the DLP will change over time so those would be needed regardless.

It has a color adjustment, but tint is grayed out/not available, except with analog input. Seems odd to me too, but it's the way it is.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,904 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

To be clearer, you're talking about the color space, meaning 8 bits per channel where I am talking about the actual processor chip being a 16- or 32- bit model. 

I tried looking into what mine has after reading this, and I found a page on calibrating a Samsung DLP
http://www.gadgetbench.com/hlpnotes/
which I don't intend to do at this point, but this part here says it's an 8 bit color processor:

"When using an HDMI connection there are a few different formats that can be sent to the display. The most common are RGB (8-bit), YCbCr 4:2:2 (10-bit), YCbCr 4:4:4 (8-bit). The HLP will accept any of these formats, however they are all converted to RGB (8-bit) by the HDMI receiver chip. All data is passed through the set as RGB (8-bit), therefore there is no advantage from the set's perspective to receive any other format. One however may potentially choose another format if the source does a poor job with its RGB signal. In reality however it seems that devices get their YCbCr output wrong far more often than their RGB output. For instance many upconverting DVD players send an HD YCbCr signal using SD encodings resulting in a noticeable color shift on screen."

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Did you try one of your HR24-200s on the DLP to see if it also occurs on the HR24?

Also how old is the bulb on your DLP?  Could it simply be that the bulb is going - you can sometimes see strange results with an old bulb.  Its possible you didn't notice the orange issue until you looked for it when your receiver changed?

Personally, I had an HR24-500 and now have an HR44-700 and I do notice a picture quality difference, but mostly that there is better shadow detail on the HR44 than the HR24 (HR24 was crushing blacks) - I think that has to do with the HR24-500's RGB signal being incorrectly processed by my Pioneer Elite plasma (assuming 0-255 when the signal was 16-235).  I don't notice any problems with skin tones being orange or anything else.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#27 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Did you try one of your HR24-200s on the DLP to see if it also occurs on the HR24?

Also how old is the bulb on your DLP?  Could it simply be that the bulb is going - you can sometimes see strange results with an old bulb.  Its possible you didn't notice the orange issue until you looked for it when your receiver changed?

Personally, I had an HR24-500 and now have an HR44-700 and I do notice a picture quality difference, but mostly that there is better shadow detail on the HR44 than the HR24 (HR24 was crushing blacks) - I think that has to do with the HR24-500's RGB signal being incorrectly processed by my Pioneer Elite plasma (assuming 0-255 when the signal was 16-235).  I don't notice any problems with skin tones being orange or anything else.

It's not the bulb, I replaced it not long ago. I'm going to experiment with my HR24 this weekend, but beyond the shadow of a doubt, it wasn't like this with the 34, as I noticed the orange "ish" tone right away. It was actually the first thing I did notice. We had the 34 swapped out because it was hanging up all the time when fast forwarding, rewinding, and going through the guide, and that's gone, but the orange tone is an issue. I can't say it's isolated to this particular unit, so I'm hesitant to just have Directv replace it, until I can experiment around with it a bit more.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#28 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

I just had a HR44-500 installed on Saturday. No problems with orange skin tone. Viewing on an older model Panasonic plasma.

#29 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

After some more time with it, Im not seeing it as well. Just coming from the Hopper, I think PQ is quite good.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...