Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The 2013 Emmys Show - Memorable for how bad it was?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

I was going to try to not say anything bad about the Emmy's Sunday night even though I thought the whole JFK Assassination - Beatles on "Ed Sullivan" was in really lame and Carrie Underwood singing Yesterday was awful. But apparently the tweeters didn't let it pass and my favorite tweet was reported in a piece Carrie Underwood Suffers Backlash Following Emmy's Beatles Tribute:

"Some people never forget where they were when JFK got shot, but I will never forget where I was when Carrie Underwood murdered The Beatles."

Despite the ratings win, CBS had better do something to assure a different production next year. Underwood isn't to blame, the idiot who decided she should be the one to sing that particular song is.

And Doogie Howser did a credible job hosting. But there was...
  • ...the "In Memorium" pieces.... I don't think they get it. As the baby boomers age, ... you know, the television generation ... lots and lots, actually more than lots, of folks who entertained them are going to die each year. Too many to honor with other than showing pictures of them 20 at a time.
  • ...Elton John's song in honor of ... the HBO Liberace movie ... when there's so much recorded Liberace?
I know I should let it go, but the real turning point on the impact of TV was not the Kennedy Assassination coverage and The Beatles on "Ed Sullivan", it was Elvis on "Ed Sullivan" and the Kennedy - Nixon debates. The latter ultimately led to celebrity politics and that wasn't good.

The choreography winner number was a great segment, however.

Finally, does no one at the Emmys watch TV because this is the cover of Yesterday that should have been offered http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zllXiJRm2kc :

Edited by phrelin, 24 September 2013 - 01:02 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

The Emmys got slaughtered across the board by all sorts of critics. Doogie is usually good but the TV wall segment didn't work at all, and this forced Broadway-meets-Vegas dance routine crap had literally nothing to do with television, at least television after 1963! Even the winners were universally panned. Newsroom over Breaking Bad? Will over White?? Nobody was buying that.

The endless maudlin tributes had this show named the saddest Emmys ever.

And what was Elton John doing there on the Emmys for cripes sake? Some kind of gay solidarity statement for Lee? Creepy. The Beatles butchery provoked universal disgust.

All in all, Hollywood does it again. Wrings the absolute worst out of a roomful of talent and perfect genetic stock. Interesting but the moment Conan walked on stage you were begging for him to stay and take over. He was funny the instant he showed up. Maybe next year. Doogie and his 1958 chorus boys and girls have jumped the shark, bigtime. This ain't the Tonys, sweetheart.

Edited by Maruuk, 24 September 2013 - 01:07 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,291 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

...the "In Memorium" pieces.... I don't think they get it. As the baby boomers age, ... you know, the television generation ... lots and lots, actually more than lots, of folks who entertained them are going to die each year. Too many to honor with other than showing pictures of them 20 at a time.

In Memorium can be divided into three groups ... people that are remembered, founders of the industry who have been forgotten and who the hell was that. To be fair the producers of that segment include all three groups. Why shouldn't the woman who did the makeup on a one season 60's sitcom and nothing else since not get her name on the screen? She was in the industry and died. (Or at least it seems that level of industry participation is honored.)

I believe most people want to see the first group and accept the second group. But I agree ... after a while there are just too many people listed to comprehend the list.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 907 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

Prior to the Emmys, I read what was planned. It was more than enough to encourage me not to tune in. Given the nominations announced this past July, I didn't appreciate enough of who was in the running because too many who should have been in contention were denied much-earned slots. So these reasons worked for me personally, and I made the correct decision by not having wasted my time with viewing the ceremony. (Hey, this is an example of what's really great about YouTube.)

#5 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

My favorite In Memoriam at the end of the year to honored the ones who pass away is the TCM Remembers. It is about 5 minutes long and mentions just about everybody who die in the year.

#6 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

TCM is one classy outfit, they do it right, for sure.

I :30 Skip and FF through most of the Emmys. I mainly look for the funny bits or high spots and skip all the acceptance speeches. Every year I've discovered I actually watched fewer and fewer of the shows. I'm down to about 14% at this point. Tried to watch Breaking Bad and Homeland: too grim and violent and depressing. Tried to Watch Modern Family: too self-consciously gay stereotyped and force-fed genre comedy, just not funny in the least. And if you don't watch those three shows, most of the awards make no sense!

Edited by Maruuk, 24 September 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

They should stop the Emmys.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Well it's interesting to see the shift to streaming with House of Cards and next year Orange is the New Black, and the Louis CK specials on stream-only. What we call TV is changing so fast.

No question the oddball voting this year got many folks pretty cynical about the Emmys going forward. And NPH needs to stick to the Tonys. There his gay jokes play better. Stuart, Colbert, Conan, Poehler & Friend, Seth MacFarlane, Fallon, so many can do it better.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Wow.

Now that you point it out, I can't disagree with any of these gripes. But, that said, I probably enjoyed it as much as any Emmy broadcast in recent memory if not more (which means I liked it, but would not have cried if my power had gone out). I agreed with more of the wins (Yay Veep and Tony Hale!), but was still stupified by some of them.

Case in point, Jeff Daniels. I have always liked him and thought he was a good actor; his shower scene in Something Wild was inspiring (the conversation he was having with himself about his conquest of Melanie Griffith's character, who actually conquered him, not the fact that he was naked in the shower), but I always thought he was miscast in The Newsroom, did not have a real honest feel for the character and was phoning it in, basically faking it. So imagine my surprise that he was even nominated.

And that is what is wrong with acting awards; those that bestow them often get the craft and technique confused with how likable the character himself is written, and vote for the absolutely wrong reasons. What is important is the quality of the actor's execution of the character, not how you feel emotionally about the character's behavior. But they typically seem to have a lot of difficulty separating those two things. I give JD a D- for his execution of the character of Will McAvoy. JD is better than that, typically.

In Memoriam? I do not want to see 70 extreme closeups of dead people in a row. Please; back it up a little. That's like bending over the casket too far at Grandma's funeral. Not in good taste. And an epic fail on missing Jack Klugman (although even though the family is irked by this, I though he died well over a year ago).

And I like an opportunity to see Elton, and to see that he still has got it, and be reminded why he sold like 200 million albums back in the day. (Download "Burn Down The Mission" from iTunes if you have any doubts).

I did not have any problem with <insert washed-up interchangeable reality singing contest winner here> singing a Beatles tune, because I immediately fast forward through anything that even mildly approaches that sort of performance. So in my house, she never got a note out. As for boring choreography numbers, again, I FFWDed until I saw skimpily-clad leggy 6-foot blondes, and then I slowed down a little but muted the audio. There is only one way to watch this sort of broadcast "live" anyway, which is to let it record for the first hour or so and then shuttle through all the dreck.

And there were some high points. I never tire of Fey and Poehler, and them climbing/rolling onto the stage cracked me up, as did the "two-hander...do you want the bottom or the top?" reference by Michael Douglas. Merrit Weaver ("I gotta go..Bye") gave all award shows exactly the adorable slap in the face they all need.

And low points. Will Ferrel has never been funny in any way, in any thing; this appearance was douche-chillingly unfunny.

Oh, and BTW, the ratings were something like 32% higher than the FOX broadcast last year.

Edited by TomCat, 25 September 2013 - 08:10 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

I know I have to let it go but, other than The Beatles, this is the version of "Yesterday" against which I judge any performance:

I was appalled at Underwood's performance.

And Elton. This was the first time I was ever uncomfortable watching him perform.

I frankly have never understood why the Emmy's needed signing and dancing, but if they're going to offer it the source should be from current TV shows just like the Tony's bring on performances from current shows.

Truthfully, I don't care who wins but I do get irked at serious oversights in the nominations. Jeff Daniels does a fine job looking pained and dour on "Newsroom." In terms of demonstrating acting skills Damian Lewis in “Homeland” would have been my choice. But it doesn't matter.

And now I will forget it and move on. If I can....

Edited by phrelin, 10 February 2014 - 06:09 PM.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,291 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

In Memoriam? I do not want to see 70 extreme closeups of dead people in a row. Please; back it up a little. That's like bending over the casket too far at Grandma's funeral. Not in good taste. And an epic fail on missing Jack Klugman (although even though the family is irked by this, I though he died well over a year ago).

He died last Christmas Eve ... and he was in the parade of extreme closeups. Right after Alex Karras and before Jenny Rivera.

Yeah, I've seen better In Memorandum segments (I like it when they show people working, not their head shots) - and the little memorials throughout the show for the "special departed" brought the show down in tempo.

The Big Bang Theory was nominated for choreography? It was weird to see fake Sheldon dance in the special number for the show.

A standing O for Bob Newhart ... his first Emmy. And Julia Louis-Dreyfus's bag man when she accepted were good.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

What the Emmys lack and what the Oscars do is to bring forward some of the depth of comedy and touching drama in their respective media. It's almost like the Emmy producers themselves don't believe there's any depth to this upstart TV medium, so they blow it off. A huge disservice to the the talent in the industry. And it cedes to film something that shouldn't be ceded.

Examples: those masterful and riotous Oscar edits of all the misogyny through the Hollywood years--Edward G. Robinson shoving a grapefruit in Myrna Loy's face, followed by similar clips of women getting slapped and pushed around. It would open with some woman star saying. "Hollywood has not always been kind to the fairer sex..."

Then on the dramatic side, edited Oscar clips revealing a heroic side to the human soul. There's Atticus, and Spartacus, and Attica and Gattica, Streep saying "NEIN!" and Dumbo's mom dying and after 2 minutes you want to both cry and cheer for humanity. You %^&^%$#@ LOVE Hollywood after one of those.

But do the Emmys ever even attempt anything like that? Even though they have roughly the same depth of material. The Emmys are suffering from a grand inferiority complex, and it's trivializing the very presentation designed to elevate the medium of television, and reinforcing the myth that all the real comedy and drama is still only going up on the 60' screens.

Edited by Maruuk, 26 September 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

What the Emmys lack and what the Oscars do is to bring forward some of the depth of comedy and touching drama in their respective media. It's almost like the Emmy producers themselves don't believe there's any depth to this upstart TV medium, so they blow it off. A huge disservice to the the talent in the industry. And it cedes to film something that shouldn't be ceded.

Examples: those masterful and riotous Oscar edits of all the misogyny through the Hollywood years--Edgar G. Robinson shoving a grapefruit in Myna Loy's face, followed by similar clips of women getting slapped and pushed around. It would open with some woman star saying. "Hollywood has not always been kind to the fairer sex..."

Then on the dramatic side, edited Oscar clips revealing a heroic side to the human soul. There's Atticus, and Spartacus, and Attica and Gattica, Streep saying "NEIN!" and Dumbo's mom dying and after 2 minutes you want to both cry and cheer for humanity. You %^&^%$#@ LOVE Hollywood after one of those.

But do the Emmys ever even attempt anything like that? Even though they have roughly the same depth of material. The Emmys are suffering from a grand inferiority complex, and it's trivializing the very presentation designed to elevate the medium of television, and reinforcing the myth that all the real comedy and drama is still only going up on the 60' screens.

Those are very astute observations putting into words the source of what many of us feel about the Emmy's but didn't know why. :righton:

My AV Setup

spam firewall