Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Modulater

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

If I go to Genie will I still be able to use my channel 14 modulater? I use it  to get Direct in the basement and bedroom. I could do away with it in the bedroom, but not  the basement. Also I want the  local  extra channels off the antenna in my bedroom. Can I use the same wire to do this? Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,729 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

Yes, you can use a MOD with the Genie. In order to get OTA with the Genie, you would need the AM21 OTA accessory tuner available from DirecTV for $50.00

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

You can combine your modulator with your TV antenna feed to the basement TV.  Depending on the actual channel assignments in your area, you may have to adjust your modulator to a different channel.    I generally use channels in the 60s in my area.

antenna feed ------>

[high frequency splitter]-------> line to TV

modulator feed-----> 

(yes, the splitter is wired backwards)

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Contrary to gov's suggestion, I would avoid using channels 52 and above as they could be be auctioned for other non-TV uses much as channels 70-83 were auctioned off thirty years ago. Channels 14-19 are a bad choice in heavily populated areas as those channels are sometimes used for two-way radio communications.

You would need two splitters at the AM21 to pull this off: One to split the OTA antenna signal between the AM21 and the distribution system and one to combine the modulator output with the output of the first splitter opposite the AM21.
GenieMod.jpg

Note that you CANNOT use diplexers with a Genie. Your distribution cabling must be completely separate from your satellite cabling.

Note also that down the road, how DIRECTV treats protected content on the analog outputs could change and this approach may or may not work with protected content.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

And the bigger issue Is what outputs are you modulating off of? Component or composite? What box are you doing this with right now?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

And is there no longer an issue when using SD and HD at the same time, something about the GUI not showing on the SD version?

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

And is there no longer an issue when using SD and HD at the same time, something about the GUI not showing on the SD version?

There's that issue plus the issue if he's running hdmi and the hdmi connected tv isn't in it will lock up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...