Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Pricing questions for "Everything" and Blockbuster and history

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

I plan to call Dish to order a Hopper system, but before I do I want to understand if I have been overpaying for the last year or two.

I subscribe to what I thought was called "Platinum" but looks on the bill like "Everything" ($119.99), I also have four HD receivers, two of which are solo DVR's (612) and one is dual (622). 

Some time ago I got a note (10/19/2011) saying "Dish Platinum is now Blockbuster Movie Pass" at "No additional cost".  And we use Blockbuster for singe DVD exchange via mail, thinking it was free.

I confess, I don't pay much attention to the bill (which auto-pays), especially since they forced it to be electronic.  But I looked now and I see:

Everything - $119 (ok)

Blockbuster @ Home - $10 (but it should be free?)

HD DVR Receiver - $10

HD DVR Receiver - $10

DVR Service - $7

HD Receiver - $7

Protection Plan - $7

HD AEP Free - $0

It sounds like I'm on the HD for life (is that the last line), so that's OK.  And I think the DVR service fee is whole house?   But the whole DVR receiver fee is confusing, but looks like there are 4 of them total, when I actually have 3, or is one of the fees just to have DVR period, and then you pay for each one separately (but the fourth receiver is free?).

And protection I get as something of a scam but who knows I probably agreed to it.

But where did that $10 come from?   I thought Blockbuster was free?   

Or did I have something additional called "Platinum" that gave me something in addition to "Everything" (which seems oxymoronic if so), which became this?

Have I been paying $10 for a couple years I shouldn't?

Edited by Ferguson, 24 September 2013 - 06:48 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

HD for life is free but Blockbuster @ Home is not.  It includes access to streaming content if your receiver has a broadband connection.  Also includes several movie channels.  

#3 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

HD for life is free but Blockbuster @ Home is not.  It includes access to streaming content if your receiver has a broadband connection.  Also includes several movie channels.  

But I am darn sure I never asked for it.  Did something old turn into this (with some subtle notice I missed)?  

For example, was there something called "Platinum" I was paying $10 for, and when it turned into Blockbuster @ Home it just continued? 

Or did this sneak into the bill because I exercised a free trial without realizing it?   I just reread that original 2011 email very carefully and there's no word in there about "trial" or any fee.

But if I were paying for "Platinum" before I may have never realized it.

#4 ONLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

I plan to call Dish to order a Hopper system, but before I do I want to understand if I have been overpaying for the last year or two.

I subscribe to what I thought was called "Platinum" but looks on the bill like "Everything" ($119.99), I also have four HD receivers, two of which are solo DVR's (612) and one is dual (622). 

Some time ago I got a note (10/19/2011) saying "Dish Platinum is now Blockbuster Movie Pass" at "No additional cost".  And we use Blockbuster for singe DVD exchange via mail, thinking it was free.

I confess, I don't pay much attention to the bill (which auto-pays), especially since they forced it to be electronic.  But I looked now and I see:

Everything - $119 (ok)
Blockbuster @ Home - $10 (but it should be free?)
HD DVR Receiver - $10
HD DVR Receiver - $10
DVR Service - $7
HD Receiver - $7
Protection Plan - $7
HD AEP Free - $0

It sounds like I'm on the HD for life (is that the last line), so that's OK.  And I think the DVR service fee is whole house?   But the whole DVR receiver fee is confusing, but looks like there are 4 of them total, when I actually have 3, or is one of the fees just to have DVR period, and then you pay for each one separately (but the fourth receiver is free?).

And protection I get as something of a scam but who knows I probably agreed to it.

But where did that $10 come from?   I thought Blockbuster was free?   

Or did I have something additional called "Platinum" that gave me something in addition to "Everything" (which seems oxymoronic if so), which became this?

Have I been paying $10 for a couple years I shouldn't?

You say 4 receivers but only list 2 612 and 1 622. You have a HD receiver $7 listed so I assume receiver #4 is a 211/411 seeing that is the basic fee for a receiver on the account. The 612's are dual tuner DVRs so the fee for those on the account is $10 each. Any account with a DVR has a fee for the DVR functionality of $7 except the 922 and Hopper their DVR fee is $12. The 622 as an additional DVR would have a $17 fee seeing you don't have that fee the 622 must be your primary receiver.

The Platinum package was discontinued so your programming looks right. Maybe now is a good time to evaluate what you are subscribing to and adjust it to what you really watch.

If upgrading to a Hopper system you really need to look at what it offers and how you use your existing equipment. You apparently have 7 tuners currently each Hopper has 3 tuners so you would need 3 Hoppers to equal that. Joeys have no tuners but use the Tuners in the Hopper. With the cost of the Hopper/Joey system your monthly bill will go up considerably.

Edited by RBA, 24 September 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

You are being billed correctly and are getting HD free for life. The $10 charge for Blockbuster is for the renamed Platinum HD that included HD channels that didn't have SD equivalents (some other channels have been added to that package). It has always been $10 for those channels not included in HD free for life. The Blockbuster name change occurred when Blockbuster streaming and DVDs were added for no additional charge. DVDs have been discontinued, but you were never charged extra for them.

#6 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thank you.

To the comments above I have 2 x 612, 1 of 622, and 1 of 211, so it all sounds correct.  It was that shift from Platinum to Blockbuster at some point that confused me.

>>> DVDs have been discontinued, but you were never charged extra for them.

We're still exchanging them by mail, my wife keeps some in the queue all the time. I think they stopped games, right?  Not movies?

#7 OFFLINE   fpembleton

fpembleton

Mentor

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Speaking of the Blockbuster package and channels which are included, I thought that Sundance Channel was a part of the package. Does anyone remember it being such - I am certain that when I first got Blockbuster which was during the conversion from Platinum, it seems that was included. I was trying to save a few $$ and dropped to the AT120 but I do have BB@Home. Seems as though Sundance is inclusive in AT200 and above. My wife and I enjoyed the content on Sundance. I might have to spring back up to at least the AT200.

"Revenge is the weak pleasure of a narrow mind"

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

It does appear that Sundance is now part of the TOP200 and above, and not in the BB package. Very likely a result of the last contract.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...