Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CSR says no to AM21

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Md.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

I called last night for the upgrade to the genie but could not get the guy (Paul) to sell me an AM21. First off he didn't know what an AM21 was, or what it was used for. I told him it was so I would see my sub channels in the on screen guide.  Is this right, am I asking for the wrong thing?  He kept insisting it would not work with the HR20 700, I told him I would not have the HR20 that I would have a genie, he said he could not write it up that way and I could call after the install and he could drop ship me one. I asked if he would please put it on the order sheet and he said that he would. Well got the email confirmation this morning and he did not do it.   I'm a little bit confused do I or do I not need the Am21  to see the sub channels ?     Install will be Wednesday morning between 8&12.  My wife's two favorites are both sub channels, am I going to be in deep sh*t or what?   After 45 minutes on the phone I gave

up  and said do what you have to do. 

Coming to you from Baltimore Md.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

he was half right. as it would not work with the HR20 as that HDDVR as built in OTA tuners. however, the AM21 does work with either Genie

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

CSRs that have never heard of an AM21 are as common as nitrogen molecules in the atmosphere.

They are not distributed via DirecTV installer trucks, however.  They ship 'em to you and you connect 'em.  

(Easy enough to connect, power cord, coax and a USB jumper is all)

#4 OFFLINE   samisamsung

samisamsung

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

I called last night for the upgrade to the genie but could not get the guy (Paul) to sell me an AM21. First off he didn't know what an AM21 was, or what it was used for. I told him it was so I would see my sub channels in the on screen guide. Is this right, am I asking for the wrong thing? He kept insisting it would not work with the HR20 700, I told him I would not have the HR20 that I would have a genie, he said he could not write it up that way and I could call after the install and he could drop ship me one. I asked if he would please put it on the order sheet and he said that he would. Well got the email confirmation this morning and he did not do it. I'm a little bit confused do I or do I not need the Am21 to see the sub channels ? Install will be Wednesday morning between 8&12. My wife's two favorites are both sub channels, am I going to be in deep sh*t or what? After 45 minutes on the phone I gave
up and said do what you have to do.
Coming to you from Baltimore Md.

To order an AM21 you can log into your account online to order it, or call and say that you need to order an AM21 under "Assesories " in the ordering system. Technicians do not usually carry AM21 units with them. Why not try ebay or a dealer, you may be able to get it cheaper.
Agent probably just noted the work order in tech notes, but that will not matter because it is a direct to customer item & not able to be added to the same or in the same ordering option as receivers.

I hope that your not replacing your hr20 for a mini because that means you're loosing recording space; but Mini for Hx box no problem as long as you don't do more than 3 mini for one genie. Hope that helps & you were nice.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using DBSTalk mobile app

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

An AM21 can technically only be ordered if you have eligible equipment active on your acct.  Since you currently have an HR20, which cant use one, the CSR cannot order you one.  The best thing to do is as stated above, get your Genie install going, then turn around and get your AM21, it will be there within a day or two of the order.  And jus torder it via your on-line account under accessories.  I just ordered a new one the day before yesterday and it will be delivered today.  They are only $50 brand new, barely worth wasting time to to try to save $5 or $10 unless your time is worth nothing.  I value my free time more than I value that small of a dollar amount.

#6 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

CSRs that have never heard of an AM21 are as common as nitrogen molecules in the atmosphere.

They are not distributed via DirecTV installer trucks, however.  They ship 'em to you and you connect 'em.  

(Easy enough to connect, power cord, coax and a USB jumper is all)

True dat!  I have up calling about my pending Genie upgrade  -- even the Retention folks have no idea what you are talking about.  i have three AM21s and I think I just need to get a different power cord in order for it to work with the Genie, which does not have the daisey-chain setup like my 24s do. 

#7 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

It will cost about the same from Directv or online. Solidsignal.com has them for $50 + shipping, though you wouldn't get it by tomorrow unless you paid them big $$$ for overnight shipping.

If losing the subchannels for a couple days until you get it is a problem don't let the installer take away your HR21, keep it around until you have the AM21 working, then call Directv to deactivate the HR21 and they'll send you a box to ship it back to them.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I just spent a half hour talking to a retention rep about the AM21.  He’s the only one I've talked to that has the foresight to search their knowledgebase for "AM21" lol, but it turned out he was experienced as well, so that’s a bonus.  The issue we are facing when talking to DTV reps is that their knowledge base apparently does not cover all the necessary details.  In any case,  you might have better luck refering to "off-air" rather than 'AM-21' :D

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

It will cost about the same from Directv or online. Solidsignal.com has them for $50 + shipping, though you wouldn't get it by tomorrow unless you paid them big $$$ for overnight shipping.

That depends.

DirecTV shipped me two of them when I upgraded to MRV. Free. FedEx. Free.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

True dat! I have up calling about my pending Genie upgrade -- even the Retention folks have no idea what you are talking about. i have three AM21s and I think I just need to get a different power cord in order for it to work with the Genie, which does not have the daisey-chain setup like my 24s do.

There is no different power cord. You can't daisy chain it with an am21 you just plug them in separately.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yes, except the 21 doesn't come with a power cord. It used the daisy chain with the HR2X models. Not sure about the 34, but with a 44, you need to provide your own power cord.

#12 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Both of the AM21N's I ordered came with an extra power cable.

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Neither of my 21s had a power cord but that was before the genie so you used the power cord from the DVR you were hooking it up too. In my case, two HR24s.

#14 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yes, except the 21 doesn't come with a power cord. It used the daisy chain with the HR2X models. Not sure about the 34, but with a 44, you need to provide your own power cord.

for new installs, thats absolutely true.  but for upgrading an HR-24 to a genie, no additional power cord is needed!  the AM21 has already stolen the cord from whatever Receiver it is supplying power to, and  the new receiver will no doubt come with its own cord.  The problem with the HR44 is that now the pigtail cord from the AM21 that used to supply power to the older receiver is no longer used, and is left dangling, ready to contribut to a safety hazard.  I think I'll tape mine up...

#15 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Both of the AM21N's I ordered came with an extra power cable.

This is good to know.  in fact, when I talked to one particularly helpful CSR (before I knew what I wrote in the previous post) he sent me out a complete off-air kit, which has not yet arrived.  Given your info, I suspect the new OTA kit will come with a cord. 

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

for new installs, thats absolutely true.  but for upgrading an HR-24 to a genie, no additional power cord is needed!  the AM21 has already stolen the cord from whatever Receiver it is supplying power to, and  the new receiver will no doubt come with its own cord.  The problem with the HR44 is that now the pigtail cord from the AM21 that used to supply power to the older receiver is no longer used, and is left dangling, ready to contribut to a safety hazard.  I think I'll tape mine up...

Glad to hear they are adding cords now. When I upgraded in July to a genie, the installer took the power cable with the DVR we were swapping out (I wasn't home). Since we had an old DVR in the garage, I just took that cord for the 21 that was connected to our new 44.

#17 OFFLINE   jerelect

jerelect

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

The  AM21N I ordered came with an extra power cable, ordered 10/18/13 arrived 10/19/13 FedEx.

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

The  AM21N I ordered came with an extra power cable, ordered 10/18/13 arrived 10/19/13 FedEx.

Do you mean September?

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

I got a new AM21 delivered yesterday that I had ordered about 2 days ago, it comes with the extra power cord.

#20 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

I got a new AM21 delivered yesterday that I had ordered about 2 days ago, it comes with the extra power cord.

Mine should arrive tomorrow.   Does anyone know what is different about the N models, compared to the original AM21s from years back (I have three of those)?  Did they stick a power cord in the box and call it an "N"?

Edited by dlleno, 25 September 2013 - 06:47 AM.

spam firewall