Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

I haven't been on this site for a long time and I am not knowledgeable on D* new DVR's. I now have three DVR's and a SWM 8. I would like to add the HR44 with one client box, and keep one of my DVR's. With the HR44 and the existing DVR that would equal 7 tuners so my SWM eight should work? Is the HR44 their newest Genie, and will I get that model?

Thank You

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yes, that should work fine. 

As to model, there's no assurance. (unless you buy from Solid Signal or other)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yes, that would be 7, since the client doesn't have a tuner.

HR44 is the latest model, but there is no guarantee. You could get a 34.

#4 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the replies! Are there any issues with the HR34? I have another question about the client box. Does it need an internet connection, or is it just connected with a coax cable?

Thanks again

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,517 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the replies! Are there any issues with the HR34? I have another question about the client box. Does it need an internet connection, or is it just connected with a coax cable?

Thanks again

I have a HR34-700. Issue free since I got it.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Thanks again

just a coax

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

It'll get its internet connection via coax, and the '34 is not as fast as the '44 for some operations. 

#8 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks everyone, I just called D* and they're giving me the Genie and the client for free! I just have to pay $50.00 for installation plus $3.00/month for whole home service. They also put in the notes that I am requesting the 44. Install will be a breeze since I have the SWM8. Disconnect old DVR and connect coax, am21 and ethernet cable to Genie. remove second DVR and connect coax to client. Is there an option on my DVR that I am keeping that I have to select for whole home DVR? Do I have to select an option on the HR34/44 and the client for whole home DVR?

Thanks again

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone, I just called D* and they're giving me the Genie and the client for free! I just have to pay $50.00 for installation plus $3.00/month for whole home service. They also put in the notes that I am requesting the 44. Install will be a breeze since I have the SWM8. Disconnect old DVR and connect coax, am21 and ethernet cable to Genie. remove second DVR and connect coax to client. Is there an option on my DVR that I am keeping that I have to select for whole home DVR? Do I have to select an option on the HR34/44 and the client for whole home DVR?

Thanks again

unless you have an HR24, you will need a DECA adapter for the HDDVR.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thanks again

Yes, you will find these Network and Whole Home settings need to be redone after the install. Don't forget to "allow" other connections.

Enjoy!

The installer should install any DECA equipment you need. He may want to put in a CCK, or set you to wireless if you get the '44. Just let him do it, and then customized yourself when he goes. 

#11 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

It looks like the HR44 is being installed in the Chicagoland region. I just got off the phone with D* and told them I would cancel the order if the tech showed up with a 34. They put me on a lengthy hold and when they came back, they said I would get the HR44. # Fingers Crossed!

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

It looks like the HR44 is being installed in the Chicagoland region. I just got off the phone with D* and told them I would cancel the order if the tech showed up with a 34. They put me on a lengthy hold and when they came back, they said I would get the HR44. # Fingers Crossed!

You're better off talking to the installer - hopefully they'll call before they come out.  The CSRs can't influence if you'll get a 34 or 44.  They may as well promise you that you have rich uncle that died and left you 100 million...  It's on the way!

Unless you just can't stand the wait I would personally just cancel and wait for an HR44 if the installer only has 34s...  http://www.dbstalk.c...itic/?p=3177021

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

You're better off talking to the installer - hopefully they'll call before they come out.  The CSRs can't influence if you'll get a 34 or 44.  They may as well promise you that you have rich uncle that died and left you 100 million...  It's on the way!

Unless you just can't stand the wait I would personally just cancel and wait for an HR44 if the installer only has 34s...  http://www.dbstalk.c...itic/?p=3177021

Ditto. I always have Directv have the Installer call me prior to coming out for my installation and then I tell them what I want and if they can't accomodate me I cancel the order and wait until the Installer has the Equipment I want such as the HR44.

Always has worked for me plus a morning install helps to ensure that they will have the HR44 on the truck when they arrive.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have morning appointment, and will make sure they call to confirm appointment. Thanks for the tips guys! I forgot what a great forum this is. Very helpful and informative!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#15 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Any special reason you don't want to swap your SWM8 for a SWM16 and keep two of your DVRs?

#)

#16 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

Any special reason you don't want to swap your SWM8 for a SWM16 and keep two of your DVRs?

The DVR I don't need is in our exercise room which doesn't get a lot of use. We'll just watch recordings from the Genie or other DVR. Seven tuners is more than enough for our needs. All of our recoding conflicts are on our main DVR. Monday night football can't be recorded because recording other programs.

#17 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 565 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have a SWM8 with an HR44 and two HR21s.  I set one of the HR21s to use only one tuner so I would not exceed the 8.  It will still record two shows at a time if at least one is OTA.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#18 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

I have a SWM8 with an HR44 and two HR21s. I set one of the HR21s to use only one tuner so I would not exceed the 8. It will still record two shows at a time if at least one is OTA.

I have two HR 20-700's, and an HR 23-700. How do you set up a DVR to only use one tuner?

#19 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

I have two HR 20-700's, and an HR 23-700. How do you set up a DVR to only use one tuner?

Satellite setup. Right below switch type.

#)

#20 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Satellite setup. Right below switch type.

Thank you, I'll look at it tonight.

spam firewall