Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgraded to Genie

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 297 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I have been a long time customer of DIRECTV's (Since 1997), and I have always enjoyed their technology.  After recently upgrading to a Genie (HR44.  Seems like it's all they have in Denver now), I am absolutely blown away! 

First, the install went as smooth as silk.  Since I now have 9 tuners in use, the tech upgraded our house to a SWM16, and in so doing he cleaned up a lot of my loose and hanging cables from previous installs (both Comcast and DIRECTV jobs).  The SWM16 looks beautiful bolted to the side of our house next to the electrical panel.  The tech also helped me to install a dish heater on the dish and ran the cable into the basement for me.  He did a great job and I tipped him well. 

Second, since I knew I was getting a Genie and where it was going to go, it gave me a chance to reconfigure my entire house for networking and allowed me to clean up some cables, etc.  Our modem and router used to be in the far corner of our basement, and, while we did get good WiFi signal throughout the house, because of the foundation blocking signal horizontally, we only had very spotty reception out on our deck.  In preparation of the install, I did a little snooping and found that there was a second coax coming into our living room on the main floor.  I was able to switch out the cable internet coax and deliver that signal to the living room.  I moved the modem, router, and Geniego (which I have had for about 6 months) to the top shelf of my TV cabinet and eliminated the WCCK I had been using to connect the SWM cloud to the internet.  An added benefit is that we now get stronger WiFi signals throughout the house and good to very good signal out on our deck. 

The third benefit is that we were able to move our HR22 out of the bedroom and down to the basement, and then move our HR24 into the bedroom.  My wife is a very picky sleeper.  She likes absolute darkness, and total silence.  The HR22, with it's DECA unit and associated blinking lights, and its noisy hard drive and sometimes very loud fan did not really fit her model.  I lived through many nights of having to wake up and unplug the DVR because it was waking her up.  With the HR24 we don't have that problem.  Internal DECA eliminates the blinking lights, and the hard drive and fan noise are almost non-existent.  Win!

Finally, there's the HR44 Genie itself.  This thing is small and looks great on the shelf. Since it has the external power supply, my TV cabinet is no longer a heat sink (the WCCK was another point of high heat and that's gone too).  I would bet that the cabinet is at least 10-15 degrees cooler now, if not more. 

When I was setting up all of my series links the other day, I was giggling like a school girl each time I looked at the guide and there were 3 or more shows showing the record icon at the same time.  With the huge hard drive (is it 500 GB of customer usable space??) I know we will have plenty of room to record entire seasons of shows before we watch them (we do that for 3 or 4 different series). The fact that both the new RF remote and the old IR remote both work at the same time is great, too.  My wife really likes the new remote, while I am partial to the older remote.  Another great thing is that everything is just super snappy.  Moving around in the guide or list - speedy.  Changing channels - speedy.  Browsing through and changing settings - speedy.  When I hit the 30 second skip button, it jumps instantly.  When I skip back, it's instant as well.  Here's my only gripe - the skip back button seems to only skip back 4 seconds (I timed it with my rudimentary '1 one  thousand, 2 one thousand, etc) as opposed to 6 or 7ish on the HR24.  It's a small complaint - a 1st world problem for sure. 

I'm really impressed with DIRECTV and my new Genie!  I really love having this great technology (HR44 Genie, HR24, HR22, GenieGo all internet connected) in my house and coupled with our mobile devices (Wife: iPhone 5, iPad 2.  Me: Samsung GSIII, Android tablet to come) our TV viewing capabilities are truly top notch.  :righton:  :righton:

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,475 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall