Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Upgrade: Questions re Wired Ethernet Installation

Genie Wired CCK

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAF

BAF

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouth Pasadena, California

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I am scheduled for a Genie upgrade in 10 days. I will have a Genie, 2 clients, and my old HR22. Wired Ethernet is available adjacent to the Genie. A CCK is on the work order.  I would prefer a wired to a wireless installation. I understand that if a wireless CCK is installed, I can, after the installer departs, disconnect the CCK and plug the Ethernet cable directly into the HR34/44 for a wired connection.

Questions I have are: (1) If Ethernet is directly wired to the HR34/44, does the HR34/44 need to be powered on in order for the HR22 to have access to the internet? (2) can I arrange in advance to have the installer provide a wired Ethernet connection to the HR34/44  (DECA or wired CCK) at the time of installation?

Many Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

if you use the Genie as a bridge, it will have to be powered (on standby at least) in order for the other receivers to connect to the internet

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

the techs does not install ethernet but the can install a DECA BB by your router which will give you a wired solution

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

I am scheduled for a Genie upgrade in 10 days. I will have a Genie, 2 clients, and my old HR22. Wired Ethernet is available adjacent to the Genie. A CCK is on the work order.  I would prefer a wired to a wireless installation. I understand that if a wireless CCK is installed, I can, after the installer departs, disconnect the CCK and plug the Ethernet cable directly into the HR34/44 for a wired connection.

Questions I have are: (1) If Ethernet is directly wired to the HR34/44, does the HR34/44 need to be powered on in order for the HR22 to have access to the internet? (2) can I arrange in advance to have the installer provide a wired Ethernet connection to the HR34/44  (DECA or wired CCK) at the time of installation?

Many Thanks in advance.

if you use the Genie as a bridge, it will have to be powered (on standby at least) in order for the other receivers to connect to the internet

No, I don't think that's correct peds;

The Genie's internal CCK and ethernet port remain active when off (or standby) and turned on.

Turning the Genie off and on does little more than switch the A/V ports on and off as with practically all DVRs.

To the TS' on his number 2, the way its "supposed" to work is a wired option is always to have first preference, So if it is practical to run a coax from a SWiM splitter (preferably the root one) to a location near the router or to an ethernet switch that leads back to the router, the installer is to use a wired CCK (which is usually a BB DECA kit nowadays).

If it is not practical to run coax for this purpose, then, and only then, is a wireless option is to be used via a CCK-W unit or the HR44's (if one is installed) internal one.

Unfortunately though, there is a myth floating around now among some installers and even CSRs I understand, that if the Genie is an HR44 it must be connected by wireless though its internal CCK-W in order to function properly.

Not true of course and frankly a ridicules belief; :nono2:  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

One additional note;

When using the Genie's internal CCK, if it needs to reboot, or if it ever goes down altogether of course, the HR22's internet connection will naturally be interrupted or broken.  

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

No, I don't think that's correct peds;

The Genie's internal CCK and ethernet port remain active when off (or standby) and turned on.

Turning the Genie off and on does little more than switch the A/V ports on and off as with practically all DVRs.

Thus as a said powered (meaning getting power) and standby which means not ON

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   BAF

BAF

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Many thanks to peds48 and HoTat2 for your quick and thoughtful responses. To summarize, it appears that as long as the Genie is plugged in to a powered electrical outlet it will be either On or in Standby mode; in either case the internet will remain accessible to the HR22 if the Ethernet cable is plugged directly into the Genie. Also, I do not need to be proactive in obtaining a wired Ethernet installation as there is an Ethernet switch and a coax cable coming from the dish/splitter immediately adjacent to the proposed location for the Genie, and the default for the installer is in this circumstance to opt for a wired installation. It is likely that a BB DECA will be used as the installer will probably not plug the Ethernet cable directly into the Genie. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks again.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

you are correct on all fronts.  the tech will most likely used a DECA BB, but you can remove it once he leaves and connect ethernet to the Genie from your router

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

When I had my HR-44 installed last month, the tech didn't even ask about wireless since I had Ethernet next to the receiver. He just plugged the cable into the Genie and took my old CCK with him. It has worked fine ever since.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

When I had my HR-44 installed last month, the tech didn't even ask about wireless since I had Ethernet next to the receiver. He just plugged the cable into the Genie and took my old CCK with him. It has worked fine ever since.

Believe me, that's rare and against DIRECTV's installation policy.

#11 OFFLINE   BAF

BAF

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

I had my upgrade today and all went extremely well.  The installer (Directv, not outsourced) arrived on time and called 30 minutes prior to his arrival. He was polite, knowledgeable, and professional.  He replaced my LNB to give me a SWIM setup. He moved my HR22 with external drive to a new location, and replaced it with a Genie (HR44). He installed 2 Genie clients. My pre-existing CAT 5 was plugged directly into the HR44 without a CCK or BB DECA. There were no complaints about my interior wiring or connectors. The entire process took less than 2 hours, and was a no charge upgrade. I live in South Pasadena, California.

There are many horror stories on this forum.  I wanted to take this opportunity to share what, for me, was an excellent experience. I also want to commend the many on this forum who are so selflessly helpful—a striking contrast to what is in the headlines these days.

Many Thanks again to those who have answered my questions in the past.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the update. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   JDFish

JDFish

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationColumbus

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Newbie here so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.  I recently upgraded to a HR44 and 2 genie minis from an HR24 with a DECA that bridged the internet to my Denon AVR (for internet radio and Sirius/XM).  I was told all I had to do was swap them out by plugging them in.  The receivers were shipped to me.  I installed them, during which I called Directv because I wasn't sure what to do with the DECA.  I was told to remove it because it wasn't needed.  Got everything working fine except when I ran the ethernet cable from the HR44 to the bridge I no longer have an internet connection for my AVR.  Will the HR44 not act as a bridge in this set up (the light is green on the hub showing the connection)?  Do I need to re-install the DECA?

The router is in my office and cannot be moved to the room with the HR44.  Thanks for any help.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Newbie here so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.  I recently upgraded to a HR44 and 2 genie minis from an HR24 with a DECA that bridged the internet to my Denon AVR (for internet radio and Sirius/XM).  I was told all I had to do was swap them out by plugging them in.  The receivers were shipped to me.  I installed them, during which I called Directv because I wasn't sure what to do with the DECA.  I was told to remove it because it wasn't needed.  Got everything working fine except when I ran the ethernet cable from the HR44 to the bridge I no longer have an internet connection for my AVR.  Will the HR44 not act as a bridge in this set up (the light is green on the hub showing the connection)?  Do I need to re-install the DECA?

The router is in my office and cannot be moved to the room with the HR44.  Thanks for any help.

follow your thread here

http://www.dbstalk.c...n/#entry3199090

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...