Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rv Locals Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikeissurreal

mikeissurreal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

First post, long time lurker. I currently have 2 hd rec at my house and was thinking about setting one up for the rv and my wife asked me a question that stumped me. What about local channels?

Lets say the billing address is currently set up for billings, Mt and I currently receive locals from that market for billings. If I go on the road, say to Denver, would I receive Billings locals in Denver, Denver locals, or neither unless I changes my billing address. I apologize if this question has already been asked here already!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

If the receiver is on your home account it will receive the locals for your service address.  This can be changed but not every week for several weeks.  If you put the receiver on an RV account then you can subscribe to DNS locals which work nationwide.  When I say receive Billing locals you have to be within the spotbeam for that city. This usually only extends for a 100 miles or so

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Locals are provided on what are known as spot beams. That means you can't receive them outside of the geographic area they are from (maybe 100 mile or so radius, give or take). So it is not possible to get your Billings locals once you leave the Billings area.

You have three choices to consider.

1. Get a separate RV account, and with that you can get Distant Network Stations (DNS). In your case you would probably get the west coast feeds (LA) for the major networks.

2. Get an over-the-air (OTA) receiver (AM21) to go with your HD DVR. With that you can get the local stations using a regular TV antenna and they will be integrated into your DirecTV guide and you will be able to watch and/or record them.

3. Change your service address with DirecTV. If you will be using the RV to move between your regular home and a summer/winter location (snowbirding), spending several months at one location or the other, this option makes sense. But if you are traveling daily, this won't work for you.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

2. Get an over-the-air (OTA) receiver (AM21) to go with your HD DVR. With that you can get the local stations using a regular TV antenna and they will be integrated into your DirecTV guide and you will be able to watch and/or record them.

It should be noted that you'll need to update the zip code information in your DVR setup or this won't work. Further, you won't be able to receive any channels that DIRECTV doesn't cover in their guide data.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   mikeissurreal

mikeissurreal

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! I really appreciate the information.

#6 OFFLINE   mikeissurreal

mikeissurreal

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Follow up question if may since I had not considered a separate rv account before, is it the same pricing for residential with the exception of the dns? Thanks again!

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

http://www.directv.c...t/travelers/rvs

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 ONLINE   cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have a question about this as well... on the DirecTV Mobile Account DNS form there is an option for Basic Package with Locals or Basic Package Without Locals.. if I choose "With Locals" will I get both the local channels in my home area (when I am in range of the spotbeams) and the DNS stations?  I'm unclear which one to check.  

#9 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

My experience was that I got locals along with DNS when I was in the home area. I got my RV waiver over 10 years ago and was grandfathered into both DNS (E & W). YMMV

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

spam firewall