Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SD DVRs VS U-verse

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Recently I had my conventional phone service replaced by ATT U-Verse.  Since then I have noticed that my DVRs are phoning home repeatedly each day.  They are making 40+ phone calls per day, each lasting 20 - 30 seconds.  Is there a trick to getting a SD DVR to work and play nicely with VOIP?

I have a R15-300 and an R16-100.  I don't know if one or both of them are calling out.

Thanks

Carl

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Since I believe neither of those are Tivo's I have no idea why they are phoning out....are you getting the callerID messages ok on both units?  It really sounds like the jacks those two are connected to were possibly not accounted for in your U-Verse install.  One of the very 1st questions the UVerse installer should be asking is where are all your phone jacks, and are you using them all.  It helps them to determine the best way to install the serive since its VOIP.  I just switched to UVerse voice and Internet within the last few months, but all my DVR's are HD.....shouldnt make that much difference except I am all internet connected as well so it doesnt phone home via the POTS line anymore from my understanding, the phone connection is only there for callerID on my tv screens.

Edited by CCarncross, 24 September 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,648 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

A non TIVO unit will make a call to transmit access card data etc, but nothing like that.

Personally, unless you really want caller ID on your TV, or order PPV via remote, I'd just unplug the phone connection and be done with it, unless the jacks aren't active as they are supposed to be.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,516 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

A non TIVO unit will make a call to transmit access card data etc, but nothing like that.

DVRs will try many, many times if they're unsuccessful at connecting. I'm guessing that's what is going on here.

Many VOIP services don't get along with POTS modems like those found in satellite receivers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

DVRs will try many, many times if they're unsuccessful at connecting. I'm guessing that's what is going on here.

Many VOIP services don't get along with POTS modems like those found in satellite receivers.

Thank you, I think that must be what's happening.  Yes I do get the caller ID on the unit and would prefer to keep it.  The fact that each call is only about 30 seconds long makes me think that the unit is not connecting.

#6 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Since I believe neither of those are Tivo's I have no idea why they are phoning out....are you getting the callerID messages ok on both units?  It really sounds like the jacks those two are connected to were possibly not accounted for in your U-Verse install.  One of the very 1st questions the UVerse installer should be asking is where are all your phone jacks, and are you using them all.  It helps them to determine the best way to install the serive since its VOIP.  I just switched to UVerse voice and Internet within the last few months, but all my DVR's are HD.....shouldnt make that much difference except I am all internet connected as well so it doesnt phone home via the POTS line anymore from my understanding, the phone connection is only there for callerID on my tv screens.

When the installer came, I informed him that I did want all of the jacks to be active.  Before he left, I tested them and they are active.

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Go to system setup and run the receiver test.  I believe that the newest software requires not just a dial tone but it also places a call to DirecTV to see if it can connect.  If this test fails it means your U-verse phone service won't pass dial up modem signalling.  I'd just unplug the phone line from the DVR since DirecTV doesn't care anymore if you have a phone line or not.  There are all kinds of inexpensive caller ID units you can use instead-some even speak who is calling.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

had the same problem , DirecTV did not understand or would not  confirm they where there numbers . I had two numbers which made it look like I was using way more minutes than I did. I gave up and unplug the receivers. :bang

spam firewall