Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Black List

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Pilot? Pretty intense; maybe a bit overblown as pilots can be, but promising.

I have always been a huge James Spader fan, but could not watch him in dreck like Boston Public. Here, he pretty much resurrects an older version of his character from Two Days In The Valley, which because of his performance ranks right up there in my top ten. Less Than Zero is I guess when I knew he was really a terrific actor and not just a Brat Pack flash in the pan.

That said, without JS this show has promise. With him, even more.

Your thoughts, please.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

I thought it was good.  To me it is like 24 meets Silence of The Lambs.  I liked it a lot.  That being said, I am still upset at NBC for cutting the show "Chase" a few years ago.  It was really good.  I will say that FOX is worse at cutting shows as I really got into Chicago Code and Alcatraz and both were cut after 1 season.  I am definitely gonna watch The Blacklist though.  It could get old after 1-2 seasons.  Not sure how they would keep it fresh.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

It was an excellent pilot designed to grab that demo crowd that "The Voice" lead-in gave it, much like "Revolution" last year. And it held more viewers in the second half hour than the "Revolution" premier.

With that said, I think it is a good basic story premise with some great opportunities for backstories offered by good writers and a very good cast.

Edited by phrelin, 24 September 2013 - 11:06 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yes this one is definitely a keeper! I really enjoyed it, also always been a Spader fan, I even liked him in Boston Legal. Of course the one thing that did surprise me is that they didn't reveal that Spader's character is the father of the young FBI agent he insists on working with exclusively. It just seemed so obvious to me that I was sure by the end of the hour they were going to reveal that, but maybe they want to see how long they can get away with dragging out that little secret. Of course the longer they take the more people are going to be figuring it out and will be less surprised when they finally reveal it. It'll actually make me happy if I'm wrong because there's nothing better than a show where you think you've got it figured out and then they totally end up going in a direction you didn't see coming at all. Anyway despite that little distraction I did enjoy it and it'll be near the top of my list of shows that I watch soon after it's recorded.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

... the one thing that did surprise me is that they didn't reveal that Spader's character is the father of the young FBI agent he insists on working with exclusively. It just seemed so obvious to me that I was sure by the end of the hour they were going to reveal that, but maybe they want to see how long they can get away with dragging out that little secret. Of course the longer they take the more people are going to be figuring it out and will be less surprised when they finally reveal it...

What I find interesting here is that they may never have thought of this, but it is such a good idea that someone from the show may see this and lift your idea to incorporate into the storyline. Stranger things have happened; I once invented a forum user title only to see it appear two years later on a T-shirt Stewey was wearing in Family Guy (Spiritual Gyn.....).

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

The carving on the front of her husband's secret box matches the scar on her hand.  I'll bet it isn't a scar (in the usual sense) but a deliberate brand put on her for identification purposes, by her now absent father.  Guesses who that might be?  He did actually ask about it--dead giveaway.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

The carving on the front of her husband's secret box matches the scar on her hand.  I'll bet it isn't a scar (in the usual sense) but a deliberate brand put on her for identification purposes, by her now absent father.  Guesses who that might be?  He did actually ask about it--dead giveaway.

Sounds reasonable to me.

It was definitely intense. So were several of the others that started back up this week, like NCIS, etc.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

...the one thing that did surprise me is that they didn't reveal that Spader's character is the father of the young FBI agent he insists on working with exclusively. It just seemed so obvious to me that I was sure by the end of the hour they were going to reveal that, but maybe they want to see how long they can get away with dragging out that little secret...

Since your post I have seen a number of folks speculating this same thing.

This makes Red's offhand comment in last night's terrific ep 2 even more interesting (paraphrasing) "OK, we'll tell them you're my daughter".

What I found really interesting is the use of Sympathy For The Devil in the opening scene. It seems obvious that the Stones have lowered their sellout price...even America's Got Talent used it last year. But what is unusual is that they remixed it significantly, something the artist rarely agrees to, intellectual content and all.

The original has two shakers, one panned right and one panned left, and congas, panned right. The remix from BL was obviously the same vocal track, but they had frequency-notched out both shakers and congas, and added some electronic rap percussion effect. It was a good remix and probably updated pretty well from 1975 or whenever this song debuted, but that is not something that happens very often on a network show.

But I consider ep 2 a step up from ep 1.

A couple of things did not make sense, tho, and maybe I was just distracted.

Spoiler

Those are not spoilers, but if you have the answer you should probably respond in spoiler formatting.

Edited by TomCat, 02 October 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

Well first,

Spoiler

And second,

Spoiler

For some reason, I'm really liking this show.  I can't explain it.  I usually am pulled out of the story by such implausibilities, but for some reason, it is working for me. 

Edited by Church AV Guy, 02 October 2013 - 02:49 AM.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes, I agree, and it is only getting better (at least in ep 2).

But

Spoiler

Edited by TomCat, 02 October 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

Yes, I agree, and it is only getting better (at least in ep 2).

But

Spoiler

well, my take on it is:

Spoiler

Luke

#12 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 965 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

Since your post I have seen a number of folks speculating this same thing.

This makes Red's offhand comment in last night's terrific ep 2 even more interesting (paraphrasing) "OK, we'll tell them you're my daughter".

What I found really interesting is the use of Sympathy For The Devil in the opening scene. It seems obvious that the Stones have lowered their sellout price...even America's Got Talent used it last year. But what is unusual is that they remixed it significantly, something the artist rarely agrees to, intellectual content and all.

The original has two shakers, one panned right and one panned left, and congas, panned right. The remix from BL was obviously the same vocal track, but they had frequency-notched out both shakers and congas, and added some electronic rap percussion effect. It was a good remix and probably updated pretty well from 1975 or whenever this song debuted, but that is not something that happens very often on a network show.

But I consider ep 2 a step up from ep 1.

A couple of things did not make sense, tho, and maybe I was just distracted.

Spoiler

Those are not spoilers, but if you have the answer you should probably respond in spoiler formatting.

Just some info here.....The year was 1968, the Album "Beggars Banquet".....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

You pick your source web site, but just to note that "The Blacklist" has received a full season order from NBC.

• dennispap likes this

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#14 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

The freelancer poisoned the wine, he was the waiter and when Red revealed the poison they did a little flashback showing her taking the wine from the freelancer and drinking it.

As to him being her father, did they say how old she was when he disappeared? One would think if she was old enough to remember then she would recognize him as her dad. Also being in the Navy they would have her dads finger prints and possibly DNA on file to match against Red.

Personally i think her dad was selling secrets to Red and they became very close. Her dad is either dead or in hiding somewhere. It would be really lame and predictable if it turns out Red is her dad..

Just my two cents........

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

Wonder why they had spader open a letter that showed

Spoiler

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:45 AM

First, how did you figure that out, and second, Yeah, Shes nice...

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

As to him being her father, ....

...It would be really lame and predictable if it turns out Red is her dad...

As for lame, I fail to see why that would be.

As for predictable, you have to be not paying attention to not suspect this, and every internet fool you run accross seems to want to trumpet this as is they discovered the cure for cancer.

All they do not have is the element of surprise. And so what? The "truth" that she bargained out of Red in ep 3, and the answer to "why me?", was "it's about your father", which likely means he was technically probably telling the truth, yet still being cagey and trying to not tell her that "your father" was someone who he could refer to in the first person instead of the third person.

But that was still somewhat short of a dead giveaway. If it turns out he is not her father and this internet meme turns out to be as ridiculous as "Paul is dead" was in 1969, then they will have pulled off one of the great head fakes of all time.

And in spite of all of that, the show just keeps getting better every week.

• cj9788 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

I like this new series. It has many possibilities because nothing is quite what it seems.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#19 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

As for lame, I fail to see why that would be.

As for predictable, you have to be not paying attention to not suspect this, and every internet fool you run accross seems to want to trumpet this as is they discovered the cure for cancer.

All they do not have is the element of surprise. And so what? The "truth" that she bargained out of Red in ep 3, and the answer to "why me?", was "it's about your father", which likely means he was technically probably telling the truth, yet still being cagey and trying to not tell her that "your father" was someone who he could refer to in the first person instead of the third person.

But that was still somewhat short of a dead giveaway. If it turns out he is not her father and this internet meme turns out to be as ridiculous as "Paul is dead" was in 1969, then they will have pulled off one of the great head fakes of all time.

And in spite of all of that, the show just keeps getting better every week.

If Red is her father that would be predictable and that would make it lame. I hate when shows follow a template of predictability, I want to be surprised with plot twists and not being able to see things coming. So far this show doing well in that regard. I was surprised at who the "bad guy" turned out to be in the second episode. I did not see that one coming. All I can say with any degree of certainty is that this show has my attention and has piqued my interest. I do not think Red is her father and I will eat the predicable plate of crow if it turns out that he is. But for that to happen they have to do a lot of explaining and twisting of the story to make that real, given what we know about Red and the little bit of info they have given us on her father. I just hope that the writers do not disappoint us either way.......

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

I think It's good enough to be able to get over any "lameness" that predictability might incur. You even admit that it has a running track record of being entertainingly unpredictable in other ways, so I would just accept that and cut them a break. Not much of anything in TV is perfect.

Think of it the same way we positively regard the concept of "flawed beauty". After all, not many straight men would turn down supermodel Cindy Crawford because she has "that mole". A "lame" little problem like being predictable one time can't really hurt a show this good very much; it would be just one more reason to not watch a show that was already lame <cough<lucky 7>cough>.

The concept of it being true is so entrenched out there already that it makes one wonder if the show didn't try to plant this themselves just as a red herring.

It's my current fave among the new shows, and the show to beat.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...