Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hostages

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Great cast, great performances.

It moves a little slow, but that may be that in the beginning there must be a lot of procedural stuff to set the stage and tell the bones of the story. And it may turn out to be a pretty interesting story. So far, so good.

Kudos to CBS for taking the HBO approach of 15 uninterrupted eps. We knew that was the future, and now CBS knows.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just watched it, not bad. 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,718 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I like shows that tell a story over the episodes and seasons, as long as they don't turn into something like Prison Break. Good first episode though.

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

It didn't do good in the ratings compared to it's competition 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

True; it may be in trouble. It is also sort of hard to watch and there are few payoffs for doing so. Maybe a few or more of those committed 15 eps could end up committed to Saturday night, or at least Friday if something fails there, but that kind of throws a wrench into their plans to host the second half of the season with another drama in that time slot; I assume their wish was that this would hit gold and raise the rent in that time slot, and act as a good lead-in to the replacement series in January. Doesn't look like that dream can happen.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

This was one of the shows (after seeing previews all summer) Mrs. Fluffybear indicated she would not be interested watching this year but we wacthed the pilot last evening and were actually quite pleased with it.  Hopefully, it will survive for it's entire run in order that we can see the conclusion.  

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

The pilot was ok, IMO, but the 2nd episode really got me hooked.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

The pilot was ok, IMO, but the 2nd episode really got me hooked.

Something to look forward to.  

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#9 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

I like it too.  Don't really like the "hero" lead - the female surgeon.  But I think that always happens with characters trying to suppress their native accents and sound American.  They come off sounding stiff and wooden.  Then I think the actor/actress is bad so I look them up in the cast info and see they are not from America.  That explains it (IMO).

But I really like Dylan McDermott, and the rest of them.  The subplots are not distractions (so far), the "bad buys" with good intentions (or hearts?) are done well and they didn't kill the dog.  I was outta there if they killed the dog!  Just kidding, but killing animals tends to send me over the edge and bias me towards the "killer".

The concept of the "bad guys" being way more gray than black is not new and can fail badly, but so far.....  I like it.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

Toni Collette is very highly regarded, but I now am wondering why. She's OK, I guess, but I would have cast someone else. I considered ep 2 a slight step down from ep 1. I think it will be touch and go for this one, regardless of NBC's 15-in-a-row commitment. I'm still in, tho.

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

Well, did anyone catch the season finale?

Spoiler

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

I "watched" all the episodes this season. More like I had it on but didn't exactly pay 100% attention to it. It seemed a bit forced in places and predictable. Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#13 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

I saw it. My bet is that it won't return next season, and I'm fine with that.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

...I considered ep 2 a slight step down from ep 1. I think it will be touch and go for this one, regardless of NBC's 15-in-a-row commitment. I'm still in, tho.

I guess I should qualify "still in", because I never watched another ep. Too dark. I am "still in" because the other 13 eps are still clogging my HDD, but I will be unclogging it very soon, so then I will be out.

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

I'm glad this one's over. It ran like a opened bottle of soda. Lots of fizzle at first but lost it's pizazz over time.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'm glad this one's over. It ran like a opened bottle of soda. Lots of fizzle at first but lost it's pizazz over time.  

That's part of the problem one has with a show like this.  For something that was suppose to be taking place over 2 week period they crammed a lot of different stories in which dragged the show out..

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yes, like a bottle of soda that sat opened for 15 weeks.

I think fluf put his/her finger on it.

#18 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

That's part of the problem one has with a show like this.  For something that was suppose to be taking place over 2 week period they crammed a lot of different stories in which dragged the show out..

That is a problem I had with 24. I usually had about enough at the 18 hour mark.

#19 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

I still think 24 was one of the best and most iconic series we have ever been treated to. It was also ambitious, and it really was sort of like a high-wire act, where the acrobat does something while his hands are tied behind his back. And the reason I say that is just setting something in that format handicaps you immediately and paints you into a lot of corners. It took them a couple of seasons just to figure out when to shoot so that the day and night scenes made sense.

So it wasn't perfect. Before you know it hot, blonde daughters are being chased by cougars just to fill 24 eps. My problem with the series was the tone; it put you on the edge of your seat for an entire 60 minutes straight, for 24 episodes in a row. There was little dynamic range there, few soft and light moments to offset the constant danger and suspense. The tone was also claustrophobic and paranoid, and almost racist, as every person with a brown complexion was the enemy.

So yes, at about 18 hours things started to have a certain sameness and a constant drone, sort of like when you look at a bright red wall for too long you eventually can't even see that its red because your whole universe has been red for so long that you have no frame of reference, nothing to compare it to. If 24 had separated the moments of suspense with calmer moments, or even moments of comic relief (which is the lesson learned in X Files and Breaking Bad) then the moments of suspense would have been all that more effective. Think Speed Metal music; loud and fast and hard is only loud and fast and hard (and entertaining) if it also has soft and slow to compare itself to.

But, and we can't forget, it was also brilliant, and the writers and producers (not to mention genius of suspense musical scorist Sean Callery) went on to wow us with Homeland, which proves they learned from those mistakes.

So, I am looking forward to the new 24, which has only 12 eps to fill and without the restrictions of the 24 "shot clock" that held down the original.

spam firewall