Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Must see tv... America's Cup final race

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,984 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Team USA has made a remarkable comeback in the 34th America's Cup. If they win tomorrow in the final race (it's 8-8 now), it'll be a comeback for the ages. 

Win or lose, it should be a remarkable match. It's likely to be on NBC Sports (220 on DIRECTV) at one, though the Guide doesn't show it and may not show it for some time.

Be there to watch history!

There will be some explanations pre-race for non-sailors. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Team USA has made a remarkable comeback in the 34th America's Cup. If they win tomorrow in the final race (it's 8-8 now), it'll be a comeback for the ages. 

Win or lose, it should be a remarkable match. It's likely to be on NBC Sports (220 on DIRECTV) at one, though the Guide doesn't show it and may not show it for some time.

Be there to watch history!

There will be some explanations pre-race for non-sailors. 

Race time is 1:15p (PT); 4:15p (ET)

#3 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Race time is 1:15p (PT); 4:15p (ET)

One will want to tune in at one sharp PDT to get the background.

#4 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Been glued to this AC and I'm completely flabbergasted at the turn of events this last week. It's unbeleivable how much of a difference the changes to the boat and crew of Oracle have made. Think about it. After being penalized 2 points before the AC even started, Team Oracle lost 6 of the 1st 7 races. They were down 8 points to 1 in a race to 9. They then delivered 7 straight win or go home victories. Knowing how seriously they take this sport, I can only imagine what the Kiwis and their fans are feeling right now. I've never been a big fan of Larry Ellison but there is no denying the significance of what is taking place right now.

#5 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yes, flabbergasted is a good descriptor. I didn't want it to be over when it looked like it would be over a week ago. But I got my wish, and I will be yelling from a sailboat in a few hours. (Also not a fan of Lar's, nor of Aussie sailors, but we've got the best money can buy.)

#6 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

COMEBACK COMPLETE!!! The Cup stays in America. For those that don't follow the sport, it's probably much ado about nothing. From someone that does follow it, it was an absolutely fantastic finish to an all but impossible comeback by Oracle Team USA. It was a far more exciting Regatta than I anticipated with the AC72 Catamarans speeding back and forth past Alcatraz at speeds near 50 MPH. Congratulations to the crew and shore team at Oracle Team USA. 

On a side note, I did get a kick out of the NBCSports announcer (Todd Harris I think) when, as Oracle crossed the finish line to win the cup, in what he surely thought would be his "Do you beleive in miracle's" moment", he exclaimed, "The comeback of Twenty Fourteen is complete". A bit nitpicky on my part maybe.

#7 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yes, flabbergasted is a good descriptor. I didn't want it to be over when it looked like it would be over a week ago. But I got my wish, and I will be yelling from a sailboat in a few hours. (Also not a fan of Lar's, nor of Aussie sailors, but we've got the best money can buy.)

Awesome for you. I wish I could've been there.

#8 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

COMEBACK COMPLETE!!! The Cup stays in America.

Glad I didn't read this thread until after I watched my recording. 

Spoiler

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

It was pretty neat to be sure. Too bad it's such a niche sport. 

IAE, it is among the greatest comebacks in Int'l competition of any sport/contest.

#10 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Glad I didn't read this thread until after I watched my recording. 

Spoiler

Apologies for nearly spoiling it for you. I purposely avoided this thread til after viewing for that very reason.

#11 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Did enjoy watching the final. Love seeing technology in motion(big F1 fan). Can anyone explain why there are only 2 Americans listed here(http://oracle-team-u...cascup.com/team) as being members of "Team USA"? Is this typical for sail racing?

Just curious.....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#12 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Seems like it's typical of the last couple of Defenses of the cup. They get the top guys from whatever nation. Actually, one of the Yankees on the boat was replaced, so there was only one on the crew for the last ten races or so. 

It's deplorable in some ways, and there's a lot of sentiment to rule that only nationals can be on a nation's entry.... so I am sure Spithill and crew are applying for same....

#13 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

In recent Americas Cups, it's been very typical. In 2010, Oracle had only 1 American among it's crew. By contrast, in 1987, Dennis Conner's Stars and Stripes entire crew of 11 were  American. Like Laxguy stated in another thread, "The best crew money could buy".

#14 OFFLINE   Hobie16#17

Hobie16#17

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

On a side note, I did get a kick out of the NBCSports announcer (Todd Harris I think) when, as Oracle crossed the finish line to win the cup, in what he surely thought would be his "Do you beleive in miracle's" moment", he exclaimed, "The comeback of Twenty Fourteen is complete". A bit nitpicky on my part maybe.

Yes indeed Todd Harris did say "2014", and it has since been edited out on Youtube .. and these guys had a tough job.  I think Todd did his best, self-admitting he was a "stick and ball" guy.  He added color to a totally mixed crowed.  Trying to get this sport into mainstream is probabably the toughest endevour.  Countless money spent on Live line, helicopter video, and all the sounds from the boats .. can't believe the teams allowed the audio and visual.  You figure %90 of the New Zealand population watched this while maybe single digits of america.  You have to give Larry Ellison a ton of credit .. what a vision.  Yes he is a gazillionaire .. however he started from nothing.

Todd could have had better support though.  I would expect better from Ken Read and Gary Jobson.  Ken even put Todd down for his "Sasquatch.." remark which was totally not professional ...  Several times Todd asked the right questions to Gary and Todd, and didn't get an answer.  Gary kept repeating, "right out of the text book" ... and "in 1983... "  Luckily the boats, 13000lbs riding on top of a 6foot carbon fibre foil at 50MPH,  stole the show.  It was better when they had Nathan Otteridge, an AC72 skipper ... That would have been a better mix between the "non-sailing" public and the fanatics.

All that said ... I have viewed the footage several times (yes .. I should have better things to do .. ), and the whole event was a success .. though, the jury is still out on how many will watch #35.

#15 OFFLINE   Hobie16#17

Hobie16#17

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Can anyone explain why there are only 2 Americans listed here(http://oracle-team-u...cascup.com/team) as being members of "Team USA"? Is this typical for sail racing?

Just curious.....

It's deplorable in some ways, and there's a lot of sentiment to rule that only nationals can be on a nation's entry.... so I am sure Spithill and crew are applying for same....

Great question ... In the past American teams were composed mostly of Americans (America cubed, stars and stripes).

You might also note that it's no longer Team USA or Team NZ . it's Oracle Team USA and Emerates Team New Zealand.  Putting the sponsor ship ahead of the team started in the last couple of cups.

All the teams, including Team New Zealand, had a mix of Kiwi's, Aussies and Brits along with some residents of the actual team.  What is puzzleing is why couldn't they find americans to be the grinders for the hydrolic systems ... you really don't need any sailing experience for that .. brute force.

However, Sailing to the Aussies and kiwis is like hockey to Canadians. The NHL is composed of %20 Americans.  Heck even baseball is now composed of %30 non US citizens.  You can argue they don't profess to be the one and only TEAM USA, however, they are American sports.

Just a note .. Though Jimmy Spithill is Australian, he is a US citizen, and lives in California.

There were only 4 countries entered in this cup (Swiss, Italians, NewZealand and USA).  The fact that the Aussies challenged for the 35th cup means they will now have a team.  And a good chance they will move from these 72 foot 100 million dollar monstors, to smaller boats which might bring in the Brits and of course New Zealand.  It's going to be interesting.

#16 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

I hope so. Include French, Argentinian, Canadian, Mexican etc. etc.......

Protected By... spam firewall...And...