Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV service is Terrible - broken appointment

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fieldsg22

fieldsg22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Dear DirecTV,

I would like to say that I am very disappointed in your service. Lets go back a year ago when I originally ordered your service for my house. My original order was cancelled without my knowledge, and rescheduled for 2 weeks later. I was never informed of this, and waited all day that Saturday. When the tech never arrived I called Customer Service to discover all of this. A total cluster screw up on YOUR part, and I ended up waiting a week after your originally promised. 

Now....advance to today....

I decided to upgrade my equipment to the all new impressive Genie you offer for a cost of around $150. I paid this without doubt, and scheduled my appointment for install today between 12-4pm CST. I left work early to be here for the tech if needed so my wife would not have to be here with school, kids, and other things. Around 3pm CST I get a VM stating that your tech is running behind, and that they will be late. I took this lightly but since the original scheduled time was til 4pm I had no issue. At 4:20pm CST I called, and was told that they were still scheduled to come out today. She also confirmed they were running behind, but the system still showed my install today. She said I would receive a call no later than 20 minutes from her supervisor on this issue.

Fast forward to 5:45pm.....NO CALL FROM ANYONE AS OF YET!!

I called and spoke with another lady. She informs me the tech was unable to find my house during the scheduled time, and that is the reason my appointment was not met. I let her know that I was never called, but she said the system showed he called me. So, you tech has the ability to leave an automated VM on my cell phone? I am amazed that I have the ability to move my house from the location the tech last installed. I am even more amazed that DirecTV is not able to use GPS to find my house. I just tried and my house pulls up fine on Google Maps, Bing Maps, Garmin, iPhone, and Android (also Google Maps). She also filled out something on her side and said I would receive a call in 20 minutes.

It is now 7:04pm and I am being told that tech does not have to call me to let me know they cannot make an appointment. It is not the responsiblity of DirecTV to call me if something happens? So, I pay to have a tech come out at a time, and get screwed because they dont have to call me? I believe this needs to be known how terrible DirecTV cares for its paying customers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do, though you might want to email the VP of Customer Service (though I'd be calm in tone and language). Whenever a tech has been late to an appointment of mine, they've always called when running late, though I try to schedule morning appointments.

#3 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

local contractor issue, Directv should of reschedule and give you perks for the inconvenience. But techs do arrive late sometimes when they're doing another install work but should of called beforehand.
Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

I sense your deep sense of being victimized here, and am sorry for your ordeal. However, this is not DIRECTV's site, and your post will receive only some sympathy. 

If this is by far the worst experience you've had with installations of any sort, you have led a charmed life indeed. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

is the phone number on your DirecTV account a valid one? what they left a voice mail? did you miss the call?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

I always tell friends to make sure that they get an 8-noon appointment so this won't happen to them.  I'd rather have the 8-noon appointment on an inconvenient day than a noon-4 appointment on a convenient day.

• Rich likes this

#7 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

I always tell friends to make sure that they get an 8-noon appointment so this won't happen to them. I'd rather have the 8-noon appointment on an inconvenient day than a noon-4 appointment on a convenient day.

Right on! by logic, AM appointments are hardly ever missed. Can't say the same for 4 to 8 PM appointmnets. these are the ones that becomes AM on the next day......

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Except I've had 8-noon appointments that they didn't show up, but I kept getting calls that they will show.

"Taking longer than anticipated at their first job. Should be at your house by 9 AM", "Will be there by 11:30", "Wont be there until 2 PM" and then at 4 PM when I called, I was told my installer had gone home sick at 9 AM and there was no one to do my job.  Complete day missed from work.

I think scheduling the appointment early is still best, but it doesn't always work out.

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Except I've had 8-noon appointments that they didn't show up, but I kept getting calls that they will show.

"Taking longer than anticipated at their first job. Should be at your house by 9 AM", "Will be there by 11:30", "Wont be there until 2 PM" and then at 4 PM when I called, I was told my installer had gone home sick at 9 AM and there was no one to do my job.  Complete day missed from work.

I think scheduling the appointment early is still best, but it doesn't always work out.

I would think that situations like this may be somewhat dependent on the population and number of DirecTV customers in the area in which you live.  My understanding (at least on Long Island) is that techs don't get assigned a job until they have reported that their previous assignment is complete.  They don't get a "list" of appointments for the day first thing in the morning.  So, unless there are only a couple of techs in a given area, the excuse that "your installer has gone home sick", should not be a valid one.

#10 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Exactly, jobs are dispatched on a one by one basis or "drip fed" although some subs might get "bulk fed" with the"drip fed" system, AM jobs MUST be done first before PM jobs can be dispatched

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

While that may be how it works in one area, that isn't how they do it in my area.

I don't know exactly what happened on the missed appointment other than the installer called me, said his first job was going longer than expected (which I understand -- you never know until you're on the job how long it is going to take) and that he should be at my house around 9am. The rest of the calls were through his office (Mastec).

I've had another installer (it was when I was upgrading to HD), said that after he finished my job, he had another one to go to (it was already getting dark).

And the installer who came to do my rescheduled MRV install, called his next appointment as he was testing my gear to say he'd be at their house in less than an hour.

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm sorry you had repeated bad experiences, whether it was an actual DirecTV employee or a contractor.  As has been noted, the only/best effective way to communicate your frustration is via email to DirecTV. I would suggest sending an email to ellen.filipiak@directv.com explaining what happened. Posting here, or on DirecTV's forums, will not reach the applicable people at DirecTV.

Ms. Filipiak is a Vice President for Consumer Relations, and her office will work to resolve both your specific issue as well as work to resolve repeated problems with a particular field office or contractor.

#13 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Sadly, the annual timing for installations happens in Sep/Oct--this happens more often than at other times. It's often due to the NFLST craze and/or introduction or re-marketing of new equipment..from HR2x to HR4x. It's a shame and your pain is felt. Please be patient.

carl6 is correct..in fact, below is a link to send any communications directly to the Office of the President (c/o Ellen Filipiak), via the DirecTV.com website:

http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P4960016

Good luck and congrats when your install comes through!

-=K=-

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

This really doesn't rise to the level of Ellen's staff. If we bother them with local stuff, more important things get pushed aside more often. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

This really doesn't rise to the level of Ellen's staff. If we bother them with local stuff, more important things get pushed aside more often.

How many people are on Ellen's staff? What is their workload? Are they behind? Do you know 'more important items' that are getting pushed aside?

DirecTV has their 'contact us' form on their website where they state "We're listening. We want to hear from you. Let us know what you love about DirecTV, as well as what we can improve. Our ears are wide open."

The TS issue certainly meets their requirements to contact them.

Edited by trh, 25 September 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,527 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I completely disagree. This definitely worthy of contacting her office. This isn't some little issue like being charged for the HD Extra Pack erroneously. Contracted installers by DirecTV are lying and screwing over customers.... that's serious.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Right on! by logic, AM appointments are hardly ever missed. Can't say the same for 4 to 8 PM appointmnets. these are the ones that becomes AM on the next day......

So many posts about morning appointments.  I can't imagine being surprised by an afternoon appointment becoming a nightmare. And not just with D*.  I've had furniture delivered at ten o'clock at night.

Rich 

#18 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

fieldsg22, contact customer retention. I had an installation snafu this week and they were VERY generous in compensating me for DirecTV's mistakes. In fact, the tech department supervisor I was dealing with had suggested I contact retention, acknowledging errors committed by them and the contracted installer. Please call tech back and demand (nicely) to speak with a supervisor. I think you might be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Edited by BrucePadgett, 27 September 2013 - 11:14 AM.

spam firewall