Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New GenieGO customer -- NOTHING works

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm a new GenieGO customer and I've connected everything as directed but when I try to use the PC app or the iPhone app, nothing works.  No GenieGO found.  If I reboot the GG, the PC app finds it for about 1 minute, then it disappears and then goes into a trying-to-find-the-GG cycle over and over.  At one point, my iPhone was able to see my DVRs' recorded content, but that disappeared and has not returned.

Please help, or let me know what information you all need to help.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Has GenieGo been activated on your account?  You can check your online account to find out. Mine has a 'GenieGo Mobile DVR' @ $0.00

#3 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Yep, I do have GenieGO activated on my DTV account.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

How are your DVRs connected to the network?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

peds48,

that's a great question.  I'll have to go check.  To be honest, I'm not familiar with the terms like DECA, CCK, SWM and all of the other acronyms.  I'm extremely technically capable, but when it comes to my DTV equipment, it seems any small change I make breaks everything and requires a tech visit.  I'll go see how my DVR's are connected.  I do know that on my DTV acct, it says all of my DVRs are connected to the internet and when I schedule recordings while away, they always appear on the DVR I set...If that helps.

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

peds48,

that's a great question.  I'll have to go check.  To be honest, I'm not familiar with the terms like DECA, CCK, SWM and all of the other acronyms.  I'm extremely technically capable, but when it comes to my DTV equipment, it seems any small change I make breaks everything and requires a tech visit.  I'll go see how my DVR's are connected.  I do know that on my DTV acct, it says all of my DVRs are connected to the internet and when I schedule recordings while away, they always appear on the DVR I set...If that helps.

Press the - button (dash button) on your remote, it should show internet connected.

Assuming that it is connected, you need to find the Cat5 cable for the Directv system that is connected to your router.

Be sure the GenieGO is plugged into that same router.

Then do a 30 sec reset of the GenieGO. Hold the red button for 30 secs.

The bottom line is the GenieGO must be connected to the same LAN (local area network) as your Directv equipment.

#7 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

I'm not really sure how everything is set up but it all works for MRV.

In my bedroom:

HR20-700 -- Ethernet cable to SwitchB

HR22-100 -- Ethernet cable to SwitchB AND ethernet cable from white box(DECA) to switchA

HR44-500 -- no cables to switch at all (but this receiver says 'SWiM Connected.  Internet connected')

SwitchB -- ethernet to SwitchA (in separate room with all Internet equipment hard-wired)

In my living room:

HR22-100 -- ethernet cable to SwitchC

HR21-100 -- ethernet cable to SwitchC

SwitchC -- ethernet cable to SwitchB

In my Office(room with Internet)

Verizon FiOS from street into Astaro Security Gateway 110/120

SwitchA into ASG LAN port

SwitchB into SwitchA

Cisco EA6500 WiFi router (in bridge mode) into SwitchA -- ONLY FOR WiFi handhelds (no DVR's connected via WiFi)

I think that's it.  Like I said, MRV is working (although when I reboot my DECA DVR, everything has to be rebooted or i have no MRV).  I just realized that one of my DVR's is connected via DECA today when investigating.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,185 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'm not really sure how everything is set up but it all works for MRV.

In my bedroom:

HR20-700 -- Ethernet cable to SwitchB

HR22-100 -- Ethernet cable to SwitchB AND ethernet cable from white box(DECA) to switchA

HR44-500 -- no cables to switch at all (but this receiver says 'SWiM Connected.  Internet connected')

SwitchB -- ethernet to SwitchA (in separate room with all Internet equipment hard-wired)

In my living room:

HR22-100 -- ethernet cable to SwitchC

HR21-100 -- ethernet cable to SwitchC

SwitchC -- ethernet cable to SwitchB

In my Office(room with Internet)

Verizon FiOS from street into Astaro Security Gateway 110/120

SwitchA into ASG LAN port

SwitchB into SwitchA

Cisco EA6500 WiFi router (in bridge mode) into SwitchA -- ONLY FOR WiFi handhelds (no DVR's connected via WiFi)

I think that's it.  Like I said, MRV is working (although when I reboot my DECA DVR, everything has to be rebooted or i have no MRV).  I just realized that one of my DVR's is connected via DECA today when investigating.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks!

If I'm reading your configuration correctly, you have a 'mixed' network on your DVRs.  By mixed, part are connected directly by Ethernet and part are DECA. 

If you leave the ones directly connected on Ethernet, you need a BSF (BandStop Filter) on the coax to filter out the DECA signal so it won't overload the tuners.  That's one function of the external DECAs on the HR2xes.

I would add DECAs (I just ordered some on ebay for $3 each.) to all the HRs and remove the Ethernet connection.

And it appears the DECA on your bedroom HR22 is being powered by the 22 but used for a CCK (internet connection for your DECA units.

The 44 appears to be internet connected via the DECA on the 22 (which is fine) but if an installer installed it, be sure it's not using WiFi.  Two routes to your router could be causing the issue with your GG.

If you remove any of the Ethernet connections and replace with DECAs, be sure to reboot so they switch back to Coax for DECA.

It would also help to list your IPs for each HR.  You can find the GG ip in your router DHCP list.

Let us know your progress.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

dennis,

Just two quick questions before I switch up how things are connected.

1.  What are the 'two paths to my router'?

2.  What is a CCK?

Thanks!

#10 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

dennis,

Just two quick questions before I switch up how things are connected.

1.  What are the 'two paths to my router'?

2.  What is a CCK?

Thanks!

The DECA that's on the bedroom HR22 that is plugged into your switch is performing the function of a CCK (Cinema Connection Kit).  The 22 is providing power to it.

The installer could have missed the Ethernet plugged into the 22 and thought the DECA was oK there.   If you move it's pigtail (Ethernet connection) to the 22, you'll need a powered Deca to go to the switch.

Cinema Connection Kit is a weird name - probably should have been Internet Connection Kit. . . I guess they named it for Video on Demand.

If the 44 is using WiFi that would also be a route back to your router.  The fact that you have to reboot everyone when your 44 reboots isn't right.

So you would need 3 decas and 1 powered deca (there is a Broadband CCK that has a wall-wart power supply) for the CCK  You also need another coax connection for the CCK.  A two way splitter at that HR with a short coax would work.

The 44 needs nothing (other than wifi turned off if you keep a CCK function.)

#11 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Dennis,

Thanks for the clarification.  The only thing incorrect is that when I reboot the HR22-100 in my bedroom(not the 44), every other receiver in the house needs to be rebooted to regain MRV.  I see DECA boxes on most of my receivers' coax outputs(but none of them have any ethernet cabling except for the HR22 in my bedroom).  I also know that there is a 'box' somewhere that also has a wall wart, but I was under the impression that was for something dish-related(SWiM?)?

Also, the 44 is definitely NOT on WiFi (I set up it's network, not the installer)

One question, what do you mean by this:

"If you move it's pigtail (Ethernet connection) to the 22, you'll need a powered Deca to go to the switch."

The 22 is currently the receiver with both a DECA and ethernet connection.

Edited by SolidState, 25 September 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

If I'm reading your configuration correctly, you have a 'mixed' network on your DVRs.  By mixed, part are connected directly by Ethernet and part are DECA. 

If you leave the ones directly connected on Ethernet, you need a BSF (BandStop Filter) on the coax to filter out the DECA signal so it won't overload the tuners.  That's one function of the external DECAs on the HR2xes.

I would add DECAs (I just ordered some on ebay for $3 each.) to all the HRs and remove the Ethernet connection.

And it appears the DECA on your bedroom HR22 is being powered by the 22 but used for a CCK (internet connection for your DECA units.

The 44 appears to be internet connected via the DECA on the 22 (which is fine) but if an installer installed it, be sure it's not using WiFi.  Two routes to your router could be causing the issue with your GG.

If you remove any of the Ethernet connections and replace with DECAs, be sure to reboot so they switch back to Coax for DECA.

It would also help to list your IPs for each HR.  You can find the GG ip in your router DHCP list.

Let us know your progress.

Good instructions dennis;

But this step (in red) shouldn't be necessary unless there are any HR24s on ethernet.

The later part of the statement about needing to reboot that is, as the HR24s do not need external DECAs attached of course.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Duh!!   Thanks for clarifying that since a 24 is about all he doesn't have!!

I would still reboot everything to be sure everybody is getting a valid IP.  Haven't seen his IP list yet.

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Dennis,

Thanks for the clarification.  The only thing incorrect is that when I reboot the HR22-100 in my bedroom(not the 44), every other receiver in the house needs to be rebooted to regain MRV.  I see DECA boxes on most of my receivers' coax outputs(but none of them have any ethernet cabling except for the HR22 in my bedroom).  I also know that there is a 'box' somewhere that also has a wall wart, but I was under the impression that was for something dish-related(SWiM?)?

Also, the 44 is definitely NOT on WiFi (I set up it's network, not the installer)

That's not right then;

If there are DECA boxes installed on most of your receivers, you should also see a short ("usually blue colored") ethernet patch cord from the DECA boxes to the receiver's ethernet port and thereby no direct connection from the receiver's ethernet port to any of those switches. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Dennis,

One question, what do you mean by this:

"If you move it's pigtail (Ethernet connection) to the 22, you'll need a powered Deca to go to the switch."

The 22 is currently the receiver with both a DECA and ethernet connection.

You may have a PI (Power Inserter)  - bigger than a wall-wart - connected to a coax to power your Swim16.  They're a grey box with 2 coax connections.

It sounds like you have all the equipment, just need to sort it out.  The DECAs typically have a short 'pigtail' Ethernet connection to the HRs.

#16 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

I just checked and you're right about the PI.  Much bigger than a wall wart!

For the receivers with DECA boxes, all but 1 (the 22 in my bedroom) have no ethernet connections connected to the DECAs.  I do see a BSF on my HR20.  Do I need to remove that once I get that DVR DECA'd?  I don't see any other BSF's on any other receiver...

One more thing: for DECA'd receivers, does the ethernet cable go from DECA to receiver, or DECA to switch?  Currently, my DECA'd receiver has the ethernet going from DECA to switch and another ethernet from receiver to switch.

Edited by SolidState, 25 September 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

I just checked and you're right about the PI.  Much bigger than a wall wart!

For the receivers with DECA boxes, all but 1 (the 22 in my bedroom) have no ethernet connections connected to the DECAs.  I do see a BSF on my HR20.  Do I need to remove that once I get that DVR DECA'd?  I don't see any other BSF's on any other receiver...

One more thing: for DECA'd receivers, does the ethernet cable go from DECA to receiver, or DECA to switch?  Currently, my DECA'd receiver has the ethernet going from DECA to switch and another ethernet from receiver to switch.

The DECA on the 22 is acting as a CCK for your internet connection.  You either need another Deca with a Power Supply as a CCK (if you didn't find one) or you can replace the CCK by connecting Ethernet to the 44.  (the 34 and 44 are the only ones that can do this.

The Ethernet pigtails go from the DECA to the receiver enet port.

Once everything is connected, reboot everybody and list your IPs.

#18 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Dennis,

So, the ethernet from the 44 will go straight to the switch, thereby negating my need for a separate DECA with power supply (didn't see one of those)?  If I do connect the 44 via ethernet, what do I need to do with my DECA'd 22?

#19 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Each one of your HR2x need a Ethernet jumper from the DECA Ethernet port to the receiver Ethernet port.

What you are creating is a DECA cloud for Ethernet to travel on the coax to each DVR.  And only 1 connection back to your router with either a powered DECA (not on a DVR) or use the Ethernet port on your 44.

All H/HRs, models 23 and below need external DECAs.   24s and H25 have DECAs built in and switch between the coax or Ethernet port.

Genies (34 and 44) have DECAs built-in but are the only models that can also use the Ethernet port to connect to the internet.

#20 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Okay, I've moved all receivers to the DECA-to-ethernet-jack setup, with my 44 being the only DVR that has an ethernet cable to my switch (and no white DECA box inline on the coax).  I am rebooting all receivers as I type.  One question, for my HR20-700 that has one BSF on the SAT2 input, do I need to remove that BSF?

I'll report back on IP addresses when the reboot dust has settled and I'm back at my desk after lunch.

Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

spam firewall