Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New GenieGO customer -- NOTHING works

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Just be sure you only have 1 connection back to the router. . . check every coax on every splitter. . . and terminate unused ports on the splitters.

The HR20-700 does not need a BSF OR coax on SAT2. . .  somebody confused it with a HR20-100.  There is special wiring for it.  Check the sticky in the Connected Home Threads.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

I have no advice to add, but I have to say that I love reading threads such as these. I always learn something.  The members here are so knowledgeable and their ability to troubleshoot someone's setup from what can amount to very confusing and wordy posts is amazing. I would have to actually be in the TS's house to be able to do what dennisj and HoTat have done here.

SolidState, I imagine you'll be able to clean up a lot of cable and switch clutter after this, no? 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#23 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

And we haven't gotten to the GenieGo problem!!

#24 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, but I can tell that it's going to get fixed pretty soon.  :righton:

#25 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

Unless this sort of convoluted hookup the tech(s) did for this TS was the cause of the GenieGo problem to begin with. :)

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#26 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

It almost has to be unless the GG is defective.

#27 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Okay, here are the IPs of my DVRs:

In my bedroom:

HR20-700 -- 192.168.10.51(static) no STB services

HR22-100 -- 192.168.10.52(static) no STB services, no Internet, '-' says 'Internet:Not connected'

HR44-500 -- 192.168.10.240(static) no STB services, no Internet, '-' says 'Internet:Connected'

In my living room:

HR22-100 -- 192.168.10.54(static) no STB services

HR21-100 -- 192.168.10.55(static)

GenieGO -- 192.168.10.194(DHCP)

After all of the rebooting, etc, my PC app now shows most of my DVR's but is still not showing one (I think it's the HR22-100 from my Bedroom (.52).  Any ideas?

BTW, thank you ALL for helping me out so far.  I didn't realize my installation was such a mish-mash of connections!

#28 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Some of the HR2xes are a little slow in checking in with Whole Home or GenieGo.  But it sounds like progress!

Let us know tomorrow.

Also, see if you can set a reserved IP for GG outside of your DHCP range. (so it keeps the same IP)

#29 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Nevermind.  I was able to see my GG via my PC app for a few minutes, then it disappeared again and won't return.  What now?  Should I give up and return the unit and abandon this exercise?  I'm going on vacation next week and was hoping to be able to either take shows with me and/or stream while in my hotel room.  I'm not confident that will be possible if I can't even get this working WITHIN my household.

#30 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

After a reboot, what are the lights on the GG?  It should turn to 3 blues unless there's no activity.

Do you have anything else weird on your network?  2 routers?  

I have pretty much the same mix of DVRs you do and GG has worked with no major problems.

#31 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Let me reboot the GG and report back.  I see a red button behind the USB door on the GG, but that doesn't seem to do anything.  I figured that was like the red buttons on the HR's...

The only other piece of equipment I have on my network is a Cisco EA6500(WiFi) that I have in 'Bridge' mode so any devices connecting to it get their IP from my Astaro Firewall DHCP.

Edited by SolidState, 25 September 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hold the red button for 30 seconds as you power up.  A 2+ minute hold resets everthing.

#33 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

After a reboot (removed power source), the GG is powered up, and I have 3 blue lights, with the Status light 'breathing' blue.  Is that okay? 

I also assigned a Static IP to my GG .56 (through my Astaro) before rebooting.  Now, when viewing my packet filter on my firewall, I'm seeing UDP packets being dropped from my GG to my DNS server on port 2054(source) to port 5351(destination).  What is that??

Also, still no luck getting the GG to see my DVR's.  When I open the GG app, after waiting forever, I'm able to check the system info and the IP is 'N/A' (this behavior was also apparent BEFORE I switched the IP).

Do I have a lemon?

#34 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

After ANOTHER reboot(while holding down the red button for a while), I was able to see the GG for another few minutes(before it permanently disappeared, and then the app went into the nonstop trying-to-connect-to-the-GG routine) but none of my DVR's were there, neither were any of the shows I tried to 'convert'(?).  Is this what getting the GG working was like for everyone???  It works for a few minutes and then nothing unless a reboot...

#35 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

I'm assuming your MRV works between DVRs and you have sharing to external set to allow. . . otherwise, I'd say GG is defective.

#36 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

My MRV works, except for the DVR that was originally the source-DECA(HR22-100 in bedroom).  That DVR does not show up in any of my playlists, and that DVR does not see any other playlists.  Also, when I was able to get the GG to see my DVR's, it didn't see that one. 

I'm going to return the GG since this is waaaaaaaaaay more complicated than I anticipated (and I'm a software designer/programmer). 

Any advice on how to get my HR22-100 in my bedroom back on my MRV?

Also, what the heck is my GG doing sending requests (albeit internally) on ports 2054 and 5351?  My firewall is dropping those packets but I can't find any information on those ports online.  This only started happening when I set its IP to static.

#37 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

As I stated in my original post 6.

Get all the DVRs and GenieGO connected to the same router port.

If all the DVRs are on DECA or internal DECA's, the one connection back to the router is all that's needed.  Forget all the switches.

And get GenieGO to the same point, without switches.

From a few years of experience with GenieGO, having DVR's on different switches or GenieGO on a different switch, the system won't be stable over time.

#38 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

Unfortunately, the switches exist to connect different rooms back to my main switch(behind my firewall router, which only has 1 LAN port, hence the main switch).  I have a switch in my Master bedroom for my DVR's, PS3 and AppleTV.  That switch is wired to my main switch.  I also have a switch in my living room for those DVR's, PS3, AVR, AppleTV.  That switch is wired to my upstairs switch(opposite side of the house from main switch).  My GG is connected to my main switch.

Short of rewiring my house, is there a better way to connect everything?

#39 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

I have my GG on the DECA cloud, mounted on the basement wall with the other Directv SWiM 16s and splitters primarily because I had an extra DECA.  If you can, at least put it on the same switch that you have the Ethernet to the 44 as the internet bridge.

Unfortunately, the GG doesn't have a UI other than the clients or a simple Ping.  In the PC client help, there is a diagnostic that may tell someone at Directv something helpful.

If the 22 isn't on the playlist this morning, check to see if it can do TVApps or Pandora if it's internet connected.

There is a coax diagnostic on the 44. . . press right arrow and Guide together on the front panel.  Post screenshots of the two pages of info.

#40 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

OK, so I said I had no advice to offer, but I'm going to dip my toes in anyway. I'm going to preface this with the fact that, while I have some technical knowledge, most of that is based solely on my readings here and putting that knowledge into practical use on my own home system. SS, you know your system, so I'm really only going to ask questions and "guess" as to what might be going on.

SolidState, is it your ASG that does all of your routing/DHCP/etc.?? I don't have a gateway and have never used one. I have Cable Modem that feeds into my Linksys EA4200 router. All of my wired devices are off of that - HR44 (and thus Whole Home "Cloud"), GenieGo, Desktop CPU, and BluRay. Everything else is wireless - I won't list those numerous devices. My MRV and GenieGo work flawlessly. I ask this question to see if you could switch things around and have your Cisco router taken out of Bridge mode and used as a router.  Have the ASG feed the router, then branch your 3 switches off of the router and plug the GenieGo into the router.  That way everything has a common path?  Perhaps I'm not understanding switches, routers, and ASG correctly.

Otherwise, what about plugging the GenieGo ethernet cable into the most common switch - Switch A if I'm reading everything correctly. If that's the switch that everything eventually comes back to, would that work? 

Another thing that worked for me when I had GenieGo problems (not all DVRs were showing up, some would show up and then drop off) was a 60 second (or longer) red button hold.  This resets it the GG to factory settings, I believe. 

I don't think it's a defective unit, but that's just based on the fact that I had similar problems that were fixed by the 60 second RBR. 

Good luck!  I love my Genie & GenieGo. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...