Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New GenieGO customer -- NOTHING works

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Just to be clear;

Do you have, or "can you get," all your DVRs networked over DECA (or over MoCA coax networking technically speaking). And then have ethernet from the HR44 plugged into the same "main" switch as the GG for internet access to the DECA cloud?

Or if the HR44 is not near the main switch, remove its ethernet connection and run a coax from a SWiM splitter to the vicinity of the main switch and place a separate CCK there for connection to the switch?

Just trying to simplify matters as much as possible by having all DIRECTV boxes on coax networking with the single CCK point of contact at the main switch with the GG.     

HoTat2,

As of last night, I am definitely able to get all of my DVR's networked, via COAX(DECA?) where I only have 1 ethernet cable from my equipment(the HR44) to my bedroom switch(which is then hard-wired to my main switch).  All other ethernet cables are from the DECA boxes to the receivers' ethernet ports. 

I do have the ability to move the GG to the switch in my bedroom, it just seemed like a more reliable connection would come from the GG being near my main firewall.  I'll try that next if the 2-minute red-button hold doesn't work out.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

HoTat2,

You are not alone on this...

Activity Light = Solid Amber

Network Light = OFF

Activity Light = Solid Blue

This morning mine did the exact same thing (again).

Now all three indicators are blue.

For me, it seems to happen most often on Thursday and Friday mornings

but it is hit or miss.

I was told by a DTV Tech Support person that it is a problem on their end.

The lights on my GG do all sorts of weird things.  For the most part, the first two are blue while the 3rd light (activity) is either blinking blue(not flashing, but blinking at a steady cycle), unlit, or solid blue(very rarely).  Also, for a large part of the time, my 'Status' light "breathes" blue and that never seems to stop(it breathes continuously and is rarely solid).  The other things I've noticed are: an amber 'Status' light (this happens a fair amount of time), or the 'Status' light going white while all other lights are unlit.  Sometimes it looks like a Las Vegas marquee with all of the different colors and flashing and blinking and "breathing".

#53 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Just did the RBR for 120 seconds, but nothing happened(I timed it with a stopwatch).  Was it supposed to reset or reset to factory defaults? 

#54 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't understand how the GG app on my PC ALWAYS sees my GG through the '?' link, even when it says 'Cannot connect to GenieGO' in the main screen.  Does that happen to others?

#55 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,619 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't understand how the GG app on my PC ALWAYS sees my GG through the '?' link, even when it says 'Cannot connect to GenieGO' in the main screen.  Does that happen to others?

Never had that problem here myself; 

Like dennis says though, I'm beginning to lean toward a defective GG as the problem here;

But as a final test, is there no way move the HR44 at least temporarily near the main switch and have it plugged in by ethernet along with the GG there?

I'm assuming you don't have a separate CCK, so I'm asking if you can move the HR44 there as a test instead. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#56 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

My Status light does not "breath" - it is Solid Blue 99.9999% of the time.

The Activity light will blink from time to time, more often if it's transcoding a show.

Here is what DTV had me do:

1. Uninstall the GenieGo software from your PC

2. Reboot your PC

3. Do a 30second Red button reboot on the GenieGo

4. Once the GG is rebooting - Re-install the GG software on the PC

The GG app should now find your GG.

#57 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

My Status light does not "breath" - it is Solid Blue 99.9999% of the time.

The Activity light will blink from time to time, more often if it's transcoding a show.

Here is what DTV had me do:

1. Uninstall the GenieGo software from your PC

2. Reboot your PC

3. Do a 30second Red button reboot on the GenieGo

4. Once the GG is rebooting - Re-install the GG software on the PC

The GG app should now find your GG.

Will do.  I have the vendor overnighting me a replacement unit.  If I experience the same issues, I'll at least know its my network and not the hardware.

What's interesting is that for the most part, even when the PC app says it can't find my GG, the sytem info and disk space show, leading me to belive it does actually "see" it, but something is preventing me from using it.  Also, a decent amount of time it tells me that it has found my GG, but that there are no shows recorded on my DVRs (even though they show up on the list of connected DVR's when using that 'wheel' button in the upper right) and that there are now shows to transcode (when it did see my DVR's, I set a buttload of shows to transcode).

One final note, my iPhone app exhibits the same issues my PC app shows (flaky connections, no GG found, etc.)

Edited by SolidState, 26 September 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Never had that problem here myself; 

Like dennis says though, I'm beginning to lean toward a defective GG as the problem here;

But as a final test, is there no way move the HR44 at least temporarily near the main switch and have it plugged in by ethernet along with the GG there?

I'm assuming you don't have a separate CCK, so I'm asking if you can move the HR44 there as a test instead. 

I don't have the ability to move the 44 to my office since I have no COAX lines in there, but I can put my GG on the same switch as my 44 as a test.  Either way, I'm getting a replacement in the AM

#59 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Now things get more interesting.  I installed the GG app on my iPad(1).  My computer and iPhone still cannot see my GG (except very, very rarely and only for a few seconds).  My iPad can see the GG and see the shows recorded on my DVRs and rarely loses that connection.  I'm not sure what is going on here but this is weird. 

I should get the replacement sometime today.

#60 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 350 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hey SolidState - do you use the DirecTV app for iPad??  If so, does the iPad see all of your receivers?  It's under settings>receiver control or something like that (working from memory here). 

Also, the iPhone app should be able to at least "see" and "identify" your receivers, if I'm not mistaken (My wife has an iPhone, but I don't really use the DTV app on it when in our home, I use her iPad for that). 

Not sure if any of that matters, but I just thought I'd ask.  It can't hurt to know what your devices are actually seeing, right?  Perhaps you need to uninstall the apps on your iPhone and computer, reboot both, and then reinstall?? 

I think it's obvious that I'm really intrigued by all of this. I don't use my GenieGo too frequently, but I do love having it and it bums me out when it doesn't work for others. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#61 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,228 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

a

Now things get more interesting.  I installed the GG app on my iPad(1).  My computer and iPhone still cannot see my GG (except very, very rarely and only for a few seconds).  My iPad can see the GG and see the shows recorded on my DVRs and rarely loses that connection.  I'm not sure what is going on here but this is weird. 

I should get the replacement sometime today.

You've still got something going on on your network.  Is your PC wired or wireless?  Obviously, the iPhone is wireless . . is it on the same wireless as the iPad?

Check your IPs on each device.  They should all be 192.168.x.y (assuming 192.168. . . ) where x should be the same for all devices and y should be different for all devices.

Hope the new GG solves it all!!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#62 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hey SolidState - do you use the DirecTV app for iPad??  If so, does the iPad see all of your receivers?  It's under settings>receiver control or something like that (working from memory here). 

Also, the iPhone app should be able to at least "see" and "identify" your receivers, if I'm not mistaken (My wife has an iPhone, but I don't really use the DTV app on it when in our home, I use her iPad for that). 

Not sure if any of that matters, but I just thought I'd ask.  It can't hurt to know what your devices are actually seeing, right?  Perhaps you need to uninstall the apps on your iPhone and computer, reboot both, and then reinstall?? 

I think it's obvious that I'm really intrigued by all of this. I don't use my GenieGo too frequently, but I do love having it and it bums me out when it doesn't work for others. 

I do use the DirecTV app on my iPad (different than the GG app) and iPhone, mainly to setup recordings when I'm away.  All of my receivers are seen by the DTV app, as well as the GG app on both my iPad and iPhone.  The issue lies with the fact that when I'm at home, my iPhone and PC don't see my GG, even though the 'System Settings' screen correctly shows my GG's IP address and disk space used. 

Let's make things more interesting.  I was just recently at the bank for quite a while so I got out my iphone and fired up the GG app to see what it saw.  It successfully connected to my GG, which was transcoding shows I had chosen way back on Tuesday when I was briefly able to see everything from my phone (I was never able to see my recordings again until I was at the bank).  I tried to stream, but I was not on a WiFi connection.

Also, I just uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled the PC app, and rebooted my GG, but it is still a no-go.  No GG found, or 'No shows recorded'. 

The new GG JUST arrived via UPS a few minutes ago so I'll give that one a shot.

#63 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

You've still got something going on on your network.  Is your PC wired or wireless?  Obviously, the iPhone is wireless . . is it on the same wireless as the iPad?

Check your IPs on each device.  They should all be 192.168.x.y (assuming 192.168. . . ) where x should be the same for all devices and y should be different for all devices.

Hope the new GG solves it all!!

My PC is wired.  the only wireless devices are our iPhones/iPads and one laptop computer.  All of my devices are 192.168.10.xx and the ONLY device that won't play nicely on my network is the GG (or at least it isn't seen within my home network by the GG app on either my iPhone or PC).

New GG just arrived.  Fingers crossed...

Edited by SolidState, 27 September 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Waiting anxiously!!  Good luck!

Not sure if you'll have to un-install / re-install the clients.

#65 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Also, I just uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled the PC app, and rebooted my GG, but it is still a no-go.  No GG found, or 'No shows recorded'. 

You did reboot the GenieGo before

re-installing the PC software, right?

#66 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

You did reboot the GenieGo before

re-installing the PC software, right?

Yes, I definitely did, but even holding the red button down for 30 seconds didn't seem to initiate any sort of power cycle.  a 2-minute hold of the red button also resulted in no discernable 'reboot'.

#67 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Just connected my new GG.  At first, all lights were blue(for maybe 30 seconds to a minute), then the Status light started blinking a bright yellowish color (I'm very colorblind, so bear with me) and has remained that way for several minutes.  Is this normal?  I can post a picture if needed.

#68 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Give it 20 or 30 minutes to settle in.  They should all go blue.  

#69 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Ugh.  I get a message saying 'Cannot activate GenieGO.  Please try again or call customer service at 1800531XXXX and report the diagnostic code displayed below."  I called DTV and I guess their systems are down until 6AM.  Still no luck with this frustrating GenieGO.  I have no idea if I'm connected successfully or not and won't know until tomorrow.

#70 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

I was afraid of that kind of complication.  Hope they can help you tomorrow.

#71 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

You can only have one GG on an account.  And clearing/deactivating your first is not something most of the CSRs know how to do properly.

Of course matters aren't helped if the system is 'down'.

A number of people reported having issues with the GG on a switch but were able to clear the problem by moving the GG to the wireless router. And that is the diagram DirecTV shows in their manuals.  As my wireless router has four outputs, I was able to move an item off the router to the switch where my nomad was originally installed.

#72 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

There's absolutely no reason that any Ethernet device is position dependent on the network.  I have had problems with devices getting IP addresses from a DHCP server over multiple wireless 'hops' but that was cleared up with  firmware updates.

#73 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

There's absolutely no reason that any Ethernet device is position dependent on the network.  I have had problems with devices getting IP addresses from a DHCP server over multiple wireless 'hops' but that was cleared up with  firmware updates.

What you're saying makes perfect sense.  But the manual for the nomad and the new manual for the GenieGo both say to connect the GenieGo to the wireless router.  The 'requirements' on DirecTV's site state you need to have a wireless router with an open Ethernet port.  Multiple people in this thread and in the thread that started right after DirecTV activated OOH all say 'hook the GenieGo to the wireless router and not a switch.'

The TS has had the same problem with two GenieGos. Are both defective or is there something wrong with how he has it tied into his system?

#74 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

I don't think he's gotten the second one on his account.

As far as the Doc saying it needs wireless router and an open port on the router . . you have to realize it's 'dumbed' down for the average non-technical user.

A port on the router should be equal to a port on any switch.  However, I know there are switches / routers and other devices that don't work properly for some reason.   I've had ports go bad, I've had connectors get flakey.

Back in the days of early MRV, we had a user that for months couldn't get good pictures.  Turned out his wiring on that particular room had the pairs mis-wired.  It worked for a PC but not for Video.

These are the very reasons that D made a great decision to go DECA.  The installers know how to put on Coax connectors.

#75 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Get a Slingbox less complicated I would think, since I don't own one.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...