Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New GenieGO customer -- NOTHING works

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 298 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

As for the one HR22 that's not showing on MRV, is it possible that you might have its DECA connected incorrectly?  As I recall, the HR22s have multiple ethernet ports, but only 1 of them is supposed to be used to hook up DECA.  :shrug:

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

After an evening with the GG, I'm 95% convinced its defective. 

mrdobolina, I do indeed have my GG connected to the switch where everything eventually ends up, so that's good.  Unfortunately, I can't move my ASG behind my Cisco since my ASG is a VPN device and I have a home office where it is essential that I have a hardware VPN tunnel to various offices across the country. 

Be that as it may, what is quite frustrating is that my GG WILL see my DVRs and show me playlists, but that only lasts a few minutes and then it drops off the network.  I don't know how long it drops off the network but it does reappear from time to time, but never long enough to actually finish transcoding any shows I've set it up to transcode.  What even more confusing is that when it drops off the network, it also "loses its memory" and any shows that were transcoding or ready disappear as well.  To explain, the Storage "Meter" will say 8.5G available at one point while it is on the network and transcoding, but when it "drops off", I can still "see" the device through the '?' icon, but it tells me that there is 16G of 16G available.  This thing seems quite flaky and certainly not a device I am willing to pay $100+ dollars to own.

On the bright side, one final reboot of my final DVR that wasn't on my MRV fixed that issue, and that DVR is also seen when my GG is online for the few minutes.

#43 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

As for the one HR22 that's not showing on MRV, is it possible that you might have its DECA connected incorrectly?  As I recall, the HR22s have multiple ethernet ports, but only 1 of them is supposed to be used to hook up DECA.  :shrug:

I did a thorough inspection of wires last night and nothing seemed amiss.  When the DVR was done recording for the evening I rebooted and when it came back up, it was on my MRV and all is well (at least with that issue) :)

#44 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 298 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Try the 60+ second Red Button Reset on the GG (it might be 120+ seconds, I forget).  My problem was very similar to yours where playlist would show up for 5 minutes and then fall off.  The long RBR fixed it and I have had no problems whatsoever since. 

#45 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Just to be clear;

Do you have, or "can you get," all your DVRs networked over DECA (or over MoCA coax networking technically speaking). And then have ethernet from the HR44 plugged into the same "main" switch as the GG for internet access to the DECA cloud?

Or if the HR44 is not near the main switch, remove its ethernet connection and run a coax from a SWiM splitter to the vicinity of the main switch and place a separate CCK there for connection to the switch?

Just trying to simplify matters as much as possible by having all DIRECTV boxes on coax networking with the single CCK point of contact at the main switch with the GG.     

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#46 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Try the 60+ second Red Button Reset on the GG (it might be 120+ seconds, I forget).  My problem was very similar to yours where playlist would show up for 5 minutes and then fall off.  The long RBR fixed it and I have had no problems whatsoever since. 

Though unrelated to the TS' issues;

My GG actually works "the majority" of the time, but occasionally goes out from maybe a half hour to sometimes several hours on any given day with the "Status" LED indicator showing a solid amber, the "Activity" a solid blue, and the "Network" off altogether and the GG apps report they can't find the GG on the network.

In fact it just happened for a couple of hours this morning, and now the GG is back up with all indicators blue. 

The GG manual says this means there's no internet connection, but yet there always is whenever this happens.

This makes me wonder if "no internet connection" in these instances really means the GG's connection to DIRECTV's servers over the internet that it needs for authorization is what's truly down for various technical reasons.

#47 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 298 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Just to be clear;

Do you have, or "can you get," all your DVRs networked over DECA (or over MoCA coax networking technically speaking). And then have ethernet from the HR44 plugged into the same "main" switch as the GG for internet access to the DECA cloud?

Or if the HR44 is not near the main switch, remove its ethernet connection and run a coax from a SWiM splitter to the vicinity of the main switch and place a separate CCK there for connection to the switch?

Just trying to simplify matters as much as possible by having all DIRECTV boxes on coax networking with the single CCK point of contact at the main switch with the GG.     

What about this:  Could SolidState remove the ethernet cable to the HR44 and instead hook into his home network using the HR44s wireless capability?  Then wire the GG into his WiFi router (in bridge mode, I know)?  Or (and I'm certain this is unsupported, but I think I've heard of people doing this) use the HR44's ethernet port to connect to the GG???

Not that I'm advocating going from wired to wireless, but if it works and gets the DECA cloud and the GG closer together.   I don't know.  :shrug:

I just think there is something here that is more than meets the eye, because the fact is, the GG does see the playlists for a short time, and then they fall off.  To me that says the GG is working, but something is up with the networking that causes something to go wrong and the playlists to fall off.  Could it be the ASG?  The VPN capabilities?  I'm no networking genius, but this network does seem quite elaborate to a pedestrian type user like me. 

Edited by mrdobolina, 26 September 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,193 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

SolidState,

It sounds like you got your network troubles under control and unless there's a power problem, the GG must be flakey.

While it's been frustrating, it's better that it fail now rather than this time next year.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#49 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

What about this:  Could SolidState remove the ethernet cable to the HR44 and instead hook into his home network using the HR44s wireless capability?  Then wire the GG into his WiFi router (in bridge mode, I know)?  Or (and I'm certain this is unsupported, but I think I've heard of people doing this) use the HR44's ethernet port to connect to the GG???

Not that I'm advocating going from wired to wireless, but if it works and gets the DECA cloud and the GG closer together.   I don't know.  :shrug:

I just think there is something here that is more than meets the eye, because the fact is, the GG does see the playlists for a short time, and then they fall off.  To me that says the GG is working, but something is up with the networking that causes something to go wrong and the playlists to fall off.  Could it be the ASG?  The VPN capabilities?  I'm no networking genius, but this network does seem quite elaborate to a pedestrian type user like me. 

Yeah that would work;

If the TS could get a good wireless connection with the HR44 to the bridged router he has there.

I had something similar here when I first got my GG. I connected the GG to the ethernet port of my HR34, though I use a separate wired CCK to bridge the DECA cloud to my home network and internet.

Worked fine there, except I thought afterwards it might be a bad idea should someone be streaming from the GG and I need to restart the Genie some reason and unknowingly interrupt their viewing. :)

So I cleared a spot on my router and plugged the GG there as per the official guidelines.

Again, works very well here too outside of those strange sporadic outages I described earlier.  

Edited by HoTat2, 26 September 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Though unrelated to the TS' issues;

My GG actually works "the majority" of the time, but occasionally goes out from maybe a half hour to sometimes several hours on any given day with the "Status" LED indicator showing a solid amber, the "Activity" a solid blue, and the "Network" off altogether and the GG apps report they can't find the GG on the network.

In fact it just happened for a couple of hours this morning, and now the GG is back up with all indicators blue. 

The GG manual says this means there's no internet connection, but yet there always is whenever this happens.

This makes me wonder if "no internet connection" in these instances really means the GG's connection to DIRECTV's servers over the internet that it needs for authorization is what's truly down for various technical reasons.

HoTat2,

You are not alone on this...

Activity Light = Solid Amber

Network Light = OFF

Activity Light = Solid Blue

This morning mine did the exact same thing (again).

Now all three indicators are blue.

For me, it seems to happen most often on Thursday and Friday mornings

but it is hit or miss.

I was told by a DTV Tech Support person that it is a problem on their end.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

#51 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Just to be clear;

HoTat2,

As of last night, I am definitely able to get all of my DVR's networked, via COAX(DECA?) where I only have 1 ethernet cable from my equipment(the HR44) to my bedroom switch(which is then hard-wired to my main switch).  All other ethernet cables are from the DECA boxes to the receivers' ethernet ports. 

I do have the ability to move the GG to the switch in my bedroom, it just seemed like a more reliable connection would come from the GG being near my main firewall.  I'll try that next if the 2-minute red-button hold doesn't work out.

#52 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

HoTat2,

You are not alone on this...

Activity Light = Solid Amber

Network Light = OFF

Activity Light = Solid Blue

This morning mine did the exact same thing (again).

Now all three indicators are blue.

For me, it seems to happen most often on Thursday and Friday mornings

but it is hit or miss.

I was told by a DTV Tech Support person that it is a problem on their end.

The lights on my GG do all sorts of weird things.  For the most part, the first two are blue while the 3rd light (activity) is either blinking blue(not flashing, but blinking at a steady cycle), unlit, or solid blue(very rarely).  Also, for a large part of the time, my 'Status' light "breathes" blue and that never seems to stop(it breathes continuously and is rarely solid).  The other things I've noticed are: an amber 'Status' light (this happens a fair amount of time), or the 'Status' light going white while all other lights are unlit.  Sometimes it looks like a Las Vegas marquee with all of the different colors and flashing and blinking and "breathing".

#53 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Just did the RBR for 120 seconds, but nothing happened(I timed it with a stopwatch).  Was it supposed to reset or reset to factory defaults? 

#54 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't understand how the GG app on my PC ALWAYS sees my GG through the '?' link, even when it says 'Cannot connect to GenieGO' in the main screen.  Does that happen to others?

#55 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't understand how the GG app on my PC ALWAYS sees my GG through the '?' link, even when it says 'Cannot connect to GenieGO' in the main screen.  Does that happen to others?

Never had that problem here myself; 

Like dennis says though, I'm beginning to lean toward a defective GG as the problem here;

But as a final test, is there no way move the HR44 at least temporarily near the main switch and have it plugged in by ethernet along with the GG there?

I'm assuming you don't have a separate CCK, so I'm asking if you can move the HR44 there as a test instead. 

#56 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

My Status light does not "breath" - it is Solid Blue 99.9999% of the time.

The Activity light will blink from time to time, more often if it's transcoding a show.

Here is what DTV had me do:

1. Uninstall the GenieGo software from your PC

2. Reboot your PC

3. Do a 30second Red button reboot on the GenieGo

4. Once the GG is rebooting - Re-install the GG software on the PC

The GG app should now find your GG.

#57 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

My Status light does not "breath" - it is Solid Blue 99.9999% of the time.

The Activity light will blink from time to time, more often if it's transcoding a show.

Here is what DTV had me do:

1. Uninstall the GenieGo software from your PC

2. Reboot your PC

3. Do a 30second Red button reboot on the GenieGo

4. Once the GG is rebooting - Re-install the GG software on the PC

The GG app should now find your GG.

Will do.  I have the vendor overnighting me a replacement unit.  If I experience the same issues, I'll at least know its my network and not the hardware.

What's interesting is that for the most part, even when the PC app says it can't find my GG, the sytem info and disk space show, leading me to belive it does actually "see" it, but something is preventing me from using it.  Also, a decent amount of time it tells me that it has found my GG, but that there are no shows recorded on my DVRs (even though they show up on the list of connected DVR's when using that 'wheel' button in the upper right) and that there are now shows to transcode (when it did see my DVR's, I set a buttload of shows to transcode).

One final note, my iPhone app exhibits the same issues my PC app shows (flaky connections, no GG found, etc.)

Edited by SolidState, 26 September 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Never had that problem here myself; 

Like dennis says though, I'm beginning to lean toward a defective GG as the problem here;

But as a final test, is there no way move the HR44 at least temporarily near the main switch and have it plugged in by ethernet along with the GG there?

I'm assuming you don't have a separate CCK, so I'm asking if you can move the HR44 there as a test instead. 

I don't have the ability to move the 44 to my office since I have no COAX lines in there, but I can put my GG on the same switch as my 44 as a test.  Either way, I'm getting a replacement in the AM

#59 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Now things get more interesting.  I installed the GG app on my iPad(1).  My computer and iPhone still cannot see my GG (except very, very rarely and only for a few seconds).  My iPad can see the GG and see the shows recorded on my DVRs and rarely loses that connection.  I'm not sure what is going on here but this is weird. 

I should get the replacement sometime today.

#60 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 298 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hey SolidState - do you use the DirecTV app for iPad??  If so, does the iPad see all of your receivers?  It's under settings>receiver control or something like that (working from memory here). 

Also, the iPhone app should be able to at least "see" and "identify" your receivers, if I'm not mistaken (My wife has an iPhone, but I don't really use the DTV app on it when in our home, I use her iPad for that). 

Not sure if any of that matters, but I just thought I'd ask.  It can't hurt to know what your devices are actually seeing, right?  Perhaps you need to uninstall the apps on your iPhone and computer, reboot both, and then reinstall?? 

I think it's obvious that I'm really intrigued by all of this. I don't use my GenieGo too frequently, but I do love having it and it bums me out when it doesn't work for others. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

spam firewall