Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New GenieGO customer -- NOTHING works

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

phew long call.  They have sent the appropriate emails and such, but I'm still not able to activate.  they said I may need to wait until next week.  in that case, i'll get my $$ back and go with another product. 

Interesting.  They also told my sister that they would be able to fix her problem next week.  Made me wonder then if software update 0x0741 might have something to do with GG problems.  Just guessing again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Have you tried turning your firewall off?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#83 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,228 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

THIS just in..... (via e-mail from DIRECTV).

If you access GenieGO™ through an iPhone or iPad, please be sure to update your GenieGO™ App before upgrading to iOS 7. This will ensure no interruption to your service. You can update your App anytime through the iTunes App Store.

If you have already upgraded to iOS 7, you will need to update the current GenieGO™ App on your mobile device and then re-register the device as new. Unfortunately, previously downloaded content will need to be re-downloaded. 

We apologize for this inconvenience. 

Sincerely, 

DIRECTV

In the hopes this will save some aggro here and there. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#84 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Okay, I'm back from my trip.  I wasn't able to activate the GG before I left, but I have activated it now.  Same thing.  The GG app on my PC waffles between seeing my GG and not seeing it, and at no time has it ever shown me that I have recordings on my dvr.  The same thing goes for the GG app on my iPhone, but on my iPad, it has shown me recorded programs ONCE, but only once.  The GG app on my iPad sees my DVRs, and on my PC, the app also waffles between seeing my DVRs and saying 'Searching for HDDVR's...' forever.

I have NO option to turn off my hardware firewall, so there has to be some other way.

Any ideas?

#85 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Have you called Directv customer service about this problem?

What was there response?

#86 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 308 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

I forget...have you tried plugging the GenieGo into your router/bridge for wifi?

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#87 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,228 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

I forget...have you tried plugging the GenieGo into your router/bridge for wifi?

It has to be plugged into a working ethernet cable! 

#88 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 308 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

IIRC, he has a Linksys router that is in "bridge" mode for his WiFi devices.  Don't most Linksys routers also have 4 ethernet ports on the back?  That's what I was talking about.  Plug the GG's ethernet into the router.  No?

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#89 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

IIRC, he has a Linksys router that is in "bridge" mode for his WiFi devices.  Don't most Linksys routers also have 4 ethernet ports on the back?  That's what I was talking about.  Plug the GG's ethernet into the router.  No?

I've done that to no avail.  The vast majority of the time, my GG app doesn't see my HDDVRs, but even when it does, it says 'No recordings on the device' even though I've got 5 nearly full DVR's.

#90 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Have you called Directv customer service about this problem?

What was there response?

Yes, many, many times.  Their only suggestion is to "delete and reinstall the app on your PC", which I've done at least 20 times.

Edited by SolidState, 06 October 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#91 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,228 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yes, many, many times.  Their only suggestion is to "delete and reinstall the app on your PC", which I've done at least 20 times.

This may help- or not: On Macs, it's easy to find and delete the equivalent of preference and registration files, and those that point elsewhere. If you can do the equivalent on your PC, you may have better luck. 

#92 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

What kind of wiring do you have on the Ethernet to the DECA Cloud and from the router / switch to your GG? 

Also, can you give us your current IP settings on GG and the DVRs?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#93 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,228 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

I've done that to no avail.  The vast majority of the time, my GG app doesn't see my HDDVRs, but even when it does, it says 'No recordings on the device' even though I've got 5 nearly full DVR's.

That sounds like you're looking at the laptop's list, which would be empty, not the DVRs. Also, check your filter settings! 

#94 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

That sounds like you're looking at the laptop's list, which would be empty, not the DVRs. Also, check your filter settings! 

Definitely NOT the case.  I'm 100% positive I'm looking at the DVR playlist (the 'On This PC' playlist is also empty)

Edited by SolidState, 08 October 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#95 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

What kind of wiring do you have on the Ethernet to the DECA Cloud and from the router / switch to your GG? 

Also, can you give us your current IP settings on GG and the DVRs?

I have CAT6 cabling in the whole house.  Here are my IP's:

DVR1: 192.168.10.54

DVR2: 192.168.10.55

DVR3: 192.168.10.52

DVR4: 192.168.10.51

DVR5: 192.168.10.240

GG: 192.168.10.196

My iPad and iPhone have periodically seen my DVR playlist.  I have even chosen a few shows to download to my iPad, but since my GG app on my PC has NEVER seen my playlists (even when the app says it can see all of my DVR's), I can't actually transcode shows for watching on the iPad.  BTW, the 'hit rate' of seeing my DVR playlists on my iPad/iPhone is about 1 in 15 tries.  The 'hit rate' of my GG app seeing my DVR playlists is 0 in about 50 tries.  The 'hit rate' of my GG app actually seeing the GG is about 1 in 10 (the app just now 'saw' the GG, but again, no recorded shows available.  Its weird, it seems like when the GG App can see my GG, it can't see my DVR's and when it can see my DVR's, it can't see my GG

#96 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

You can request shows to transcode from any client, not just the PC client.  Once they are transcoded, they can be downloaded to any client.  And they stay on the GG until they're 'pushed' out for need of space.

But there's still something wrong on your network.   I assume the netmask on each device is 255.255.255.0.

I'd either take a small switch and connect GG and the connection to your DECA cloud (with everything set to the IPs above), put a PC on that switch and see if you can PING everything and the PC client sees DVR playlist and works all the way through.

Or disconnect everything else from your network except the PC, DECA connection and GG and see if the PC client sees the DVR playlist.

Keep digging, we'll find it.

#97 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm going to throw out a completely wild guess question.  You wouldn't happen to have a relatively new version of Cyberlink's PowerDVD on your computer, do you? 

The new versions of PowerDVD have something that looks at your network for other devices to stream content to.  When I upgraded my PowerDVD (I actually had installed the editing package), my SiriusXM wifi radio stopped working,  Every time that I would turn the radio on, it would try to initialize for a little while and then just shut off.  I didn't put 2 and 2 together right away and SiriusXM sent me a replacement unit, which had the same problem.  So, I assumed that it was a network issue.

While trying to debug my network, it wasn't until I disconnected by PC that the radio started working again.  After doing a little research, I realized that the SiriusXM problem began the same day that I had installed the Cyberlink software.  I then found some other people with the same problem and learned that if I disabled the CLMSServerForPDVD11.exe and Cyberlink Media Server Service, PowerDVD and the SiriusXM TTR1 Wifi radio could coexist on the same network.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that these services could have a similar effect on the GenieGo.

#98 OFFLINE   SolidState

SolidState

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

You can request shows to transcode from any client, not just the PC client.  Once they are transcoded, they can be downloaded to any client.  And they stay on the GG until they're 'pushed' out for need of space.

But there's still something wrong on your network.   I assume the netmask on each device is 255.255.255.0.

I'd either take a small switch and connect GG and the connection to your DECA cloud (with everything set to the IPs above), put a PC on that switch and see if you can PING everything and the PC client sees DVR playlist and works all the way through.

Or disconnect everything else from your network except the PC, DECA connection and GG and see if the PC client sees the DVR playlist.

Keep digging, we'll find it.

I will give that a try when I have a free moment when we aren't sharing programs via MRV. 

In the meantime, I'm going to replace one of my switches (it's relatively old), which is the switch that everything eventually connects up to right before my hardware firewall.

One thing: currently, from the PC that has the GG app installed, I can ping all above addresses(including the GG) and get replies with 0% loss.  I did a ping -t since I wanted to see many pings.

How do I check the netmask of the GG?

Edited by SolidState, 08 October 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#99 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

There's no way to see the GG netmask.  Just be sure your LAN mask in the router is set to 255.255.255.0

As you replace that switch, just try the new one with the DECA connection, GG and PC.  You'll lose the internet connection but we need to isolate the rest of your network.

Edit:  Thinking further on this. . . GG does need to call home.  Put only this switch with the items above on your router and try things.  Turn off any other wireless devices.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...