Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Whole-Home Internet Connectivity Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hornmdt1

hornmdt1

• Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

Does anyone know which way you get the most speed into your Whole-Home network on Internet connectivity?  By that I mean which is better, by connecting my router directly into the RJ-45 Internet connection on the back of my HR34 Genie server which then provides Internet connectivity to all the other DVRs in my Whole-Home setup (I only have DVRs (4 including the Genie)) or by connecting my router directly into the central Cinema Connection Kit that also gives Internet connectivity to all the DVRs in my Whole-Home setup?

I have read that it hoses everything up if you connect it both ways and nothing will work so you have to use one or the other so I'd like to hear if anyone has tested both ways and knows for sure if one way is better than the other to gain better speed for immediate watching of a movie, etc. without having to wait for it to first download.  Right now I have it connected directly to the Genie but also own the little Cinema Connection Kit should that be the faster way to connect it.

Thank you in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,386 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Either way should work fine. Do whichever is easier for you and you are correct, don't do both.

Should be no difference in performance, either way.

Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Either way should work fine. Do whichever is easier for you and you are correct, don't do both.

Should be no difference in performance, either way.

+1

No difference (or at least there shouldn't be) just don't try to connect both simultaneously.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

If you are just referring to the internet connectivity piece for VOD, it really shouldnt make a difference....if you are actually talking about MRV performance, isolating your home network traffic from the Directv video traffic should yield better performance for your home network and possibly better MRV(whole home viewing)since the video traffic would all be on the DECA network if you have it done by the book.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,766 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Does anyone know which way you get the most speed into your Whole-Home network on Internet connectivity?  By that I mean which is better, by connecting my router directly into the RJ-45 Internet connection on the back of my HR34 Genie server which then provides Internet connectivity to all the other DVRs in my Whole-Home setup (I only have DVRs (4 including the Genie)) or by connecting my router directly into the central Cinema Connection Kit that also gives Internet connectivity to all the DVRs in my Whole-Home setup?

I have read that it hoses everything up if you connect it both ways and nothing will work so you have to use one or the other so I'd like to hear if anyone has tested both ways and knows for sure if one way is better than the other to gain better speed for immediate watching of a movie, etc. without having to wait for it to first download.  Right now I have it connected directly to the Genie but also own the little Cinema Connection Kit should that be the faster way to connect it.

Thank you in advance.

Yes two connections to your home LAN does not speed things up.

There is no difference in performance with either a Genie or a wired CCK connection.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

spam firewall