Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV customers: Your bill is going up again

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,584 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

DirecTV customers: Your bill is going up again

CEO Michael White says DirecTV will need to raise prices next year to combat ever-climbing content costs, but the hike won't be quite as big as the one this year. Don't hold your breath for a Dish combination, either.

On the heels of a rate increase this year, DirecTV will be ratcheting up its customers' bills again next year.

"Prices will have to go up again because content costs are going to go up again," Chairman and Chief Executive Michael White said at a Goldman Sachs investor conference Wednesday.

Michael+White+DIRECTV+Sixth+Annual+Celeb

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

So what? When the price increases match the repeated prices increases of 10 - 20 percent over the last 10 months then I will be upset. My water and sewer has increased 110.00 since the 1st of the year

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,355 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Is this really news?  Hasn't it went up every year for the past several years?  I for one am not shocked.  Unless my bill increases by like 30+% I will be good to go.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#4 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

I don't blame Directv for this.  I blame the content providers like CBS, ESPN, and so on.  But, it is getting where my bill is getting to high.  I am one that see's no reason to pay over $100/month to watch TV.  So, I will do whatever I need to keep my bill under that.

• joe58 likes this

#5 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

I hope that they don't decided to increase fees along with any programming price increases. IMHO kind of hard to talk out of both sides of your mouth saying that programming costs are going up which is bad but then increase a DVR or HD fee.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

I don't blame Directv for this.  I blame the content providers like CBS, ESPN, and so on.  But, it is getting where my bill is getting to high.  I am one that see's no reason to pay over $100/month to watch TV.  So, I will do whatever I need to keep my bill under that.

I`m with you on that. once the bill hits $100, something goes. 

Be it a receiver, downgrade the package, drop the protection plan, etc. 

Or just drop DTV (had 8 years) and go with other providers that offer deals for two years, then change again.

Edited by twiseguy, 25 September 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

I wonder if there are provisions in the contracts with the content providers preventing them from disclosing some or all of the costs. I'm sure they can't disclose exactly how much a channel costs a customer (IE: you are paying $4.23 for ESPN this month!) but I wonder if they could get away with putting a breakdown, say with the bill that has the increase, that shows "15% of your bill goes towards these 12 channels from Comcast/NBC Universal. 20% goes towards these 10 channels from Disney/ESPN" etc.

At the end of the day most people in the know, around here, will know that content is driving up costs, but the average consumer is going to blame the satellite or cable company. Though, to be fair things that don't have content costs like my cable modem have not had any price increases for a while.

Edited by JosephB, 25 September 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Umm... Total Choice Plus + HD + HD DVR (non genie) and thats it, no frills or features like MRV, etc. is about $100/mo sans discounts. This is NOT a content issue. It is a DirecTV being greedy issue. I priced out the same package on DISH and its in the $70 - $75 range after the promo period. Only reason DirecTV is comparable for me is because I have a bunch of discounts. Once DirecTV stops offering me a price on par with DISH, I will simply jump to DISH.

#9 OFFLINE   cheech13269

cheech13269

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe Springs, California

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

No matter which Provider you have, prices go up each year. Yeah, something's gotta give. Smaller package, no movie channels etc, etc. THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE (Price Increases).

#10 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

No matter which Provider you have, prices go up each year. Yeah, something's gotta give. Smaller package, no movie channels etc, etc. THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE (Price Increases).

More of a complaint that DTV is $20 to $30 more then DISH unless you go through the hassle and call in for discounts. That seems like DISH is a little bit less greedy then DTV.

Edited by SledgeHammer, 25 September 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

I believe that DIRECTV's pricing strategy has evolved based on a couple of key premises.  First, they know that a good share of their customers will just accept whatever price increases that happen.  Then, for those who are more cost-conscious and who would consider leaving DIRECTV or downgrading their programming packages, they are readily offering significant pricing discounts to keep those customers and to get those customers to continue to subscribe to higher-tiered programming packages. 

I know that, for me, even with the annual price increases, my monthly bill has remained at between $90 and $100 for the last 5 years or so, and that is even with me adding Whole Home and subscribing to more premium services than I have ever subscribed to in the past. 

Even though I have had some billing credits for a number of years, it sure seems that, recently, it has required less effort on my part to get those credits, and the amounts of those credits have increased.  If you read through the 10 pages of this thread, http://www.dbstalk.c...are-stats-here/, it becomes apparant that, with minimal effort, people are getting bill credits at higher levels than I can ever remember seeing in the past.  And I'm confident that the significant bill credits being offered to virtually anyone are the result of DIRECTV recognizing that retaining customers who aren't willing to accept the significant price increases is important to their bottom line even if they have to sell their service at a reduced price to retain those customers. 

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,355 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Umm... Total Choice Plus + HD + HD DVR (non genie) and thats it, no frills or features like MRV, etc. is about $100/mo sans discounts. This is NOT a content issue. It is a DirecTV being greedy issue. I priced out the same package on DISH and its in the $70 - $75 range after the promo period. Only reason DirecTV is comparable for me is because I have a bunch of discounts. Once DirecTV stops offering me a price on par with DISH, I will simply jump to DISH.

There are other differences between the two companies.  I know they are saying the price increase is due to content increases and that could be the case.  Maybe D* had more contracts renew this year then E* did.  I would think long and hard about it before ever going to E*.  The lack of sports (Sunday Ticket) alone almost makes my decision for me.  Not to mention I prefer the Genie over the Hopper.  To each their own, I hope it works out for you.  I will say a lot of people seem to keep the discounts on their account by calling retention when the discounts drop off.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#13 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

There are other differences between the two companies.  I know they are saying the price increase is due to content increases and that could be the case.  Maybe D* had more contracts renew this year then E* did.  I would think long and hard about it before ever going to E*.  The lack of sports (Sunday Ticket) alone almost makes my decision for me.  Not to mention I prefer the Genie over the Hopper.  To each their own, I hope it works out for you.  I will say a lot of people seem to keep the discounts on their account by calling retention when the discounts drop off.

Yeah, I don't care about sports, so Sunday Ticket is a non issue for me :).

I'll agree that the Genie is better then the Hopper. However, as its been discussed, the Genie requires MRV (even for a single TV set up which is what I have) so they'd charge an extra $3/mo over my HR20 and I'd lose OTA. DISH charges more for the Hopper vs. non Hopper too...

Anyways, like I said, as long as DTV keeps giving me my discounts and keeps me in the $70 to $80 range, I'm ok as thats what DISH charges.

Honestly, all Dish and DTV need to do is renegotiate contracts as a team and blackout anybody who doesn't want to negotiate. Dunno if that would be illegal though lol... but would certainly give them leverage.

I would agree with your statement though if D was only $5 or so cheaper, its actually considerably cheaper without discounts.

The fact that DirecTV even gives you discounts says that they have so much padding built into their pricing that they can. Does DISH offer the same amount of discounts?

If DTV can afford to give me $30/mo off my bill, why not just charge $70/mo? or $80 even... not $100.

Sounds like they are just charging lazy people who don't want to call in / deal with it more... Nice business model lol.

#14 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

More of a complaint that DTV is $20 to $30 more then DISH unless you go through the hassle and call in for discounts. That seems like DISH is a little bit less greedy then DTV.

$20 - $30 dollars?  No Way.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#15 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

How did you come up with this number?

I went to the DIRECTV web site, selected Premier, Genie and three mini clients, no HD Extra package and it was $167.99/month with no discounts.

Then went to Dish web site, selected America Top 250, HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime, no BB@Home, Hopper/Sling and three Joey's the non discounted price was $159.99.

To me that looks like DIRECTV is $8/month more expensive but then DIRECTV also includes the Sports RSN's in Premier, IIRC Dish would charge extra for that and it wasn't in the price I was shown on their site.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#16 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

You're correct, the price differential without new/returning customer discounts is much narrower these days.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

I went to the DIRECTV web site, selected Premier, Genie and three mini clients, no HD Extra package and it was $167.99/month with no discounts.

Then went to Dish web site, selected America Top 250, HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime, no BB@Home, Hopper/Sling and three Joey's the non discounted price was $159.99.

To me that looks like DIRECTV is $8/month more expensive but then DIRECTV also includes the Sports RSN's in Premier, IIRC Dish would charge extra for that and it wasn't in the price I was shown on their site.

I think we got our Fox Sports Northwest in a lower package.  We just upgraded to Premier several months ago, and had FSN all along.  We did NOT have it with Dish.  That was one of our major points for leaving Dish.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

There have been a few times in the past when I've considered switching from DIRECTV to Dish, and I have similarly examined and considered the differences in prices between DIRECTV and Dish for the programming that I want.  Every time that I've done that kind of comparison over the years, it has turned out that similar programming from Dish would be about $8-10 lower than from DIRECTV, and DIRECTV has always given me more than enough discounts to make up for that difference.  Plus, Dish does not even offer some of the programming that I get from DIRECTV and that I would miss having if I were to make the switch. 

The bottom line is that you might not like the pricing that DIRECTV uses, but you are not likely to find significant differences if you go elsewhere. 

#19 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, it is... I just priced it out last month.

DISH:

Top 200 is $64.99 + $0 for life for HD + $12 DVR (maybe $10 for non Hopper) = $76.99

Top 250 is $74.99 + $0 for life for HD + $12 DVR (maybe $10 for non Hopper) = $86.99

DIRECTV:

Total Choice PLUS is $78.99 + $10 HD + $10 DVR = $98.99

OR $78.99 + $25 = $103.99 if you want to be comparable on the DVR fees

OH WAIT... REGIONAL SPORTS FEE $2...

$100.99 and $105.99!!

Right now, I'm getting the $5/bundling discount, $10 HD credit and some other credits, so its inline with DISH.

so $100.99 for DTV vs. $76.99 for DISH. Looks like $25 cheaper to me :)...

Edited by SledgeHammer, 25 September 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I thought the reason D* didn't pick up the PAC 12 Net was to keep rates at their current level.  Guess we were lied to again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...