Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15/500 TV Ratio ??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

I have an R15/500.  In the setup there is a tab for TV RATIO.  Changing it from 4:3 to 16:9  does nothing to the output seen on my new HD tv no matter what I change the TV aspect ratio settings.  It did nothing on my old CRT tv either.

Note that on the TV there is no s-video input.  Only HDMI, component (three color)  RCA,  and plain (yellow) RCA video.  I am connected via the single yellow RCA input.

I will be getting an HD receiver soon so this will be a moot point.  But I was hoping i could see the 16:9 ratio on my new TV from the R15/500 box.   Is this possible or not?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

The TV Ratio setting on SD receivers just affects how widescreen channels are presented. If it's set to 4:3 it crops them, if it's set to 16:9 it shows it in widescreen. Currently the only MPEG2 channel presented in widescreen is BYU TV 374
  • WalkGood likes this

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

But I was hoping i could see the 16:9 ratio on my new TV from the R15/500 box.   Is this possible or not?

You need to use your TV's "zoom" or "pic size" setting

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

The TV Ratio setting on SD receivers just affects how widescreen channels are presented. If it's set to 4:3 it crops them, if it's set to 16:9 it shows it in widescreen. Currently the only MPEG2 channel presented in widescreen is BYU TV 374

Interesting;

I always understood this setting as a holdover from the pre-HD era when DIRECTV would sometimes broadcast anamorphic video.

If the anamorphic flag in the satellite transport stream was set indicating an anamorphic broadcast, when 4:3 was selected it would letter-box the image for an old SD set. If 16:9 was selected it would stretch the image out to 16:9 for a widescreen set.

But perhaps in addition it functions the way you say as well when receiving just a 16:9 SD broadcast.

I always wondered how DIRECTV SD receivers handled 16:9 SD broadcasts. Wish I had one active right now to experiment with the BYU channel.  

Edited by HoTat2, 26 September 2013 - 11:45 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

The 4:3/16:9 setting on the SD DVRs does absolutely NOTHING today.  For a time, DirecTV was sending a special signal along with certain programs indicating that the program was being broadcast in 16:9 and if a TV with a 16:9 screen was connected it would adjust the picture accordingly.  But that technique hasn't been used in years.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#6 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

The 4:3/16:9 setting on the SD DVRs does absolutely NOTHING today.

Read post number 2 and try channel 374 if you have an SD receiver.

I wish they would do it with more channels, however since the setting just crops it for 4/3 instead of letterboxing, it would cause problems on most other channels that originate in widescreen and take advantage of the extra real estate for on screen graphics like Fox's sports and entertainment channels and ESPN's networks.

Edited by KyL416, 27 September 2013 - 07:03 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...