Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lucky 7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I can't recall ever being quite as bored as I was sitting through this. The writing is completely amateurish, as is the production. I could not care less about the fate of these 7 people. Here is an example of the quality of the writing:

"Hey, guess what!"

"What?"

"I lost a pound!"

This from the least-telegenic person I have ever seen on TV, including reality. If not for having as a bullet-point on her resume that she was in the british version, there is no chance she would ever be cast in this version. Anyone who diets knows that weight can fluctuate a number of pounds each day, so how stupid do they want us to think this buffarilla is?

They would be lucky to get to episode 7.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Geez... seems a little superficial of you.

The idea of the show reminds me of NBC's failed show called Windfall.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

As I noted in the ratings thread "Lucky 7" is DOA if ratings matter at all to ABC.

And yes, it might be a bit like "Windfall" as described in Wikipedia:

Windfall is a serial drama television series about a group of people in an unnamed small city who win almost $400,000,000 in a lottery. The series premiered Thursday, June 8, 2006 on NBC, taking the time slot occupied by ER during the rest of the year.

On August 31, 2006, NBC announced the show's cancellation by stating on its website that the episode that night would be the series finale. Controversially, NBC also gave local affiliates the option of showing pre-season football instead and showing the final episode at each affiliates discretion. Many affiliates took them up on this, planning to show it either much later that night or at other odd days/times during the Labor Day weekend (for example, WNBC-TV in New York planned to show the episode at 12:30pm on September 3, 2006)

"Lucky 7" is different, of course, because the winners are in New York City, :sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Geez... seems a little superficial of you.

The idea of the show reminds me of NBC's failed show called Windfall.

Yes, NBC already made this mistake, and not all that long ago, but as they often say, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results (or, by extrapolation, not learning from the outcome of identical experiments by others) is a definition of insanity. How this ever got green-lighted is even more of a mystery when you understand that NBC already tried this. And, IIRC, their attempt was much better. Knowing all of that, this should have been aborted in the womb, long before announcing it at the upfronts. Just goes to show you how inept top-level network programming can be.

And I don't know if your definition of "superficial" meets common definitions. If you said "Geez.. seems a little harsh" I would have to agree, and I certainly could not fault you for feeling that way. But then my time is precious and they wasted it, and harsh or not, they deserve this assessment of this clusterf*** of a program. But superficial? I would think that might mean I was only scratching the surface of what my opinion of this show is, but I was hardly superficial in that understanding of the word. On the contrary, I pulled no punches, and very clearly pointed out what I think is at the center of what is wrong with this show, so I think I have been the opposite of superficial.

So, "harsh" would be acceptable and even in some weird way a compliment, while "superficial", is more of an insult. But no worries; whether you approve or not of my opinion is pretty much beside the point in a forum designed pretty much specifically to air opinions. And whether I might care or not what you think of my opinion is even further from the point.

So, lets move beyond what you think of my opinion of the show; lets hear yours instead.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

My "superficial" comment was directed at your assessment of the "buffarilla." Most of your initial post focused on her. Maybe you're wanting the show to be all supermodels?

My opinion of the show...

meh-jason-leonti.jpg

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

I think that the show is refreshing, just because its not another cop show.  

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think that the show is refreshing, just because its not another cop show.  

Just to defend the TV networks a bit, ABC schedules 19 hours of prime time programming Sunday through Friday. Of those, only 2 hours could be termed "police procedural" - "Castle" and "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." - and neither is anything like a "Law & Order" franchise. They do offer 7 hours of "nightime soaps" which is what genre "Lucky 7" belongs. Per Wikipedia:

"A soap opera, often referred to simply as a soap, is a serial drama, on television or radio, that features multiple related story lines dealing with the lives of multiple characters. The stories in these series typically focus heavily on emotional relationships to the point of melodrama."

Consider:

SUNDAY:

7:00 p.m. "America's Funniest Home Videos"
8:00 p.m. "Once Upon a Time"
9:00 p.m. "Revenge"
10:00 p.m. "Betrayal"

MONDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Dancing with the Stars"
10:00 p.m. "Castle"

TUESDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."
9:00 p.m. "The Goldbergs"
9:30 p.m. "Trophy Wife"
10:00 p.m. "Lucky 7"

WEDNESDAY:

8:00 p.m. "The Middle"
8:30 p.m. "Back in the Game"
9:00 p.m. "Modern Family"
9:30 p.m. "Super Fun Night"
10:00 p.m. "Nashville"

THURSDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland"
9:00 p.m. "Grey's Anatomy"
10:00 p.m. "Scandal"

FRIDAY:

8:00 p.m. "Last Man Standing"
8:30 p.m. "The Neighbors"
9:00 p.m. "Shark Tank"
10:00 p.m. "20/20"

It is true that CBS dedicates 10 of it's 19 hours to cop shows. Of its 19 hours, NBC has four devoted to "police procedurals" if you count "Grimm." It is also true that of its 12 hours Fox has two-and-a-half hours of shows with cops in them including "Sleepy Hollow" and "Brooklyn 99". But all 10 of The CW's hours are not "police procedurals."

The problem for the networks is creating a show without cops in it that can draw viewers. In terms of drama, that goal is tough to achieve. We do watch "Grey's Anatomy" and "Scandal" each of which has had good ratings. We've not missed an episode of NBC's "Parenthood" which NBC has renewed year-after-year despite marginal ratings.

Unfortunately, even though I recorded the premier and will continue to record "Lucky 7", it will not get a view in our home until it's picked up which is unlikely as it had the lowest rated fall drama premiere in ABC history.

Edited by phrelin, 26 September 2013 - 03:51 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,668 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

And this one is done, replaced by reruns of Scandal.

http://tvbythenumber...pisodes/206995/

#9 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Too bad, I was the one viewer that watched <laugh>.

#10 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

I never understood on why they would keep working at a mini mart when they won the jackpot.  

Maybe to keep it real?

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

My "superficial" comment was directed at your assessment of the "buffarilla." Most of your initial post focused on her. Maybe you're wanting the show to be all supermodels?

There are shows that have tried that and proved that it is not enough. When Spike branded itself as a "Mens"" channel, I half expected shows based on women in high heels and halter tops basically just running up and down stairs, or bycling over bumpy roads (probably would have had better ratings than super-gay cage matches).

You may want to be more specific regarding what your complaints are; who knew what you were getting at? You seem to have a habit of focusing in on one tiny unrelated detail and then making some foregone knee-jerk non-intuitive leap to a false conclusion. I just said cage matches (or some of them on Spike) appear super-gay to me. You probably interpret that, incorrectly, as me being homophobic, if the pattern fits. But you would be wrong again. I just used a certain word in a completely neutral context; now go ahead; use your insane bizzaro logic to brand me with what you think that means about me.

Contrary to your impression, most of what my initial post actually focused on was how bad the show was, how inane the dialog was, and how no one, not even a supermodel, could get folks to watch this while acting that stupid. The fact that "she" had no other redeeming qualities was a total side issue and probably had no affect on the shelf life of this loser of a show. It certainly had no affect on me canceling future eps from my DVR while I was suffering through the last 10 minutes.

I said it would be "lucky to get to 7 eps" only because that was a play on the show title; I really felt it would be lucky to get to 3, and turns out I was pretty dead on regarding that. This show served no earthly purpose other than an object lesson to programmers that they need to bear down a little and get real. I know TV shows are really only there as something to put between groups of commercials (something I remind my News Deparment of every chance I get) but there still needs to be some reason for us to not flip away.

Edited by TomCat, 08 October 2013 - 07:54 PM.

spam firewall