Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Permissible image extensions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

The site won't let me post this .img image file as an image.

http://cdn.memegener...50/36726903.jpg

What images are allowed?  FWIW, a few months ago, this site wouldn't allow me to put up some images, but then later it allowed the same ones that had been previously rejected.  I don't remember what the extension of those was.

Edited by AntAltMike, 26 September 2013 - 08:54 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

I post on another IP Board site and they have wonky image posting too.  Sometimes you can post a certain extension, sometimes you can't, sometimes you get a warning when you try, and sometimes you don't.

No one over there has ever figured it out, and the problem only afflicts certain posters, sometimes.  Some have never had a problem.

#3 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

I put up a slew of .jpg files as images in post #4 of this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...der’-and-beyond

Edited by AntAltMike, 25 September 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,162 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Sorry to say no idea on this one.  JPG are not an issue unless it maybe does not like something that may be in the image.  (Some images can have bad code embedded in them.)  Not saying that is it, just not sure as to the issue.

Sorry

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#5 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

While I've been here from the beginning (registration was not required to post until maybe 2004), I haven't paid much attention to administration matters since "the schism", but I was under the impression that this forum had been sold to AVS, which also owned the Tivo Community Forum and that they had in turn been sold to someone or something called Huddler, so I had just assumed that they were all on the same bulletin board hosting software, but I see that Tivo Community Forum is still on vBulletin and AVS is of course on Huddler.  Not that I have any basis for opining that any one system is better than any other, but will all three forums eventually be on the same software?

Edited by AntAltMike, 26 September 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

The site won't let me post this .img file as an image.

.img represents nine or more different file formats and only two or three of them might be a picture.

It is usually best to stick with the big three:
  • JPEG
  • GIF (pronounced jiff)
  • PNG
XBM format is fairly well supported in the browser community but not in the graphic arts community.

Because figuring out what a file contains is so hard, most have grown far too dependent on the file extension to tell them what a file is and when there's a really good chance that it is a CD or floppy drive image, I'd stay well away from that file extension.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

.img represents nine or more different file formats and only two or three of them might be a picture.

It is usually best to stick with the big three:

• JPEG
  • GIF (pronounced jiff)
  • PNG
XBM format is fairly well supported in the browser community but not in the graphic arts community.

Oops.  I inaptly used the term .img in my opening post to denote a class of file that included .jpg and others.  I now tentatively conclude that was erroneous and have corrected the opening post.

Edited by AntAltMike, 27 September 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

Today, the board let me post that image.

#9 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

cop_car_or_ski_rack-284690.jpg

Edited by AntAltMike, 26 September 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,162 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

While I've been here from the beginning (registration was not required to post until maybe 2004), I haven't paid much attention to administration matters since "the schism", but I was under the impression that this forum had been sold to AVS, which also owned the Tivo Community Forum and that they had in turn been sold to someone or something called Huddler, so I had just assumed that they were all on the same bulletin board hosting software, but I see that Tivo Community Forum is still on vBulletin and AVS is of course on Huddler.  Not that I have any basis for opining that any one system is better than any other, but will all three forums eventually be on the same software?

Not sure what this has to do with the thread topic.  But in any case...

I, David Bott, founded AVSForum.com and TiVoCommunity.com and bought DBSTalk.com year and years back. (Also founded Home Theater Cruise and DBNet Consulting)

TiVoCommunity was sold log ago another forum operator. 

AVSForum was sold to Huddler back in Oct 2011 and I just stepped down as a consultant/advisor for them a few months back.

DBSTalk I still operate and hope to build it like I did AVS by being a grass roots area for new product and community feedback, support and all in all being excited about this digital life.

So nope...all are separate and have been for some time.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...