Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C31-700 mini client randomly won't turn on properly

c31 genie mini troubleshooting lockup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

I seem to have a rather annoying issue with my Genie mini bedroom client.  At random, it won't turn on properly.  As in, it powers on and the power+network lights come on, but I can't get a picture on the TV.  Just "no signal" from the TV itself.  The client responds to exactly one remote button press (the DirecTV logo flashes briefly) then after that it's completely locked up.  

When I hit the red button to reset it, it will come on, go through all the setup and initialization checks on screen, then eventually go back its locked up, non-functioning state.  

The only way to fix it that I've found so far is to go to the master Genie box and give it a red button reboot.  The main box functions as it normally does, but says there are no remote clients.  It won't find any clients when I try to update the settings.  

It sounds like the client box is defective but the fix is on the server side.  Has any one else come across this, and is there a simpler fix than resetting everything?  The RBR is not really an option if something is recording on the server, so it means there may be several hours of waiting before I can watch stuff on the client again.  It's very annoying and naturally only seems to happen when I REALLY need to watch something else in the bedroom while the other box is in use!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill Milford

Bill Milford

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

I have the exact same problem.  Running current national release.

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,818 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Have you tried using the TV remote and change the Input / Source and go back to where it is supposed to be and force a new HDMI Handshake ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

If its a handshake issue then you might be able to resolve it with a firmware update to your TV.
Otherwise, switching to component cable is your other option.
That is, of course if it IS a handshake issue.

#)

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Have you tried using the TV remote and change the Input / Source and go back to where it is supposed to be and force a new HDMI Handshake ?

Yes, it didn't make any difference.

Sent from my Droid DNA via the DBSTalk app.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

If its a handshake issue then you might be able to resolve it with a firmware update to your TV.
Otherwise, switching to component cable is your other option.
That is, of course if it IS a handshake issue.

Does the Genie mini support component? I only got an adapter cable that came with composite connections. Stereo l/r and the yellow video cable.

Sent from my Droid DNA via the DBSTalk app.

Edited by Tom Servo, 28 September 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,818 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Does the Genie mini support component? I only got an adapter cable that came with composite connections. Stereo l/r and the yellow video cable. Sent from my Droid DNA via the DBSTalk app.

http://www.solidsign...ients-(h2510pin)

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Milford

Bill Milford

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

If if remove power from the client, it wil start up and display -- eventually stopping and saying it cannot find a server.  It will never find the server until the HR34 is restarted.  after that it works fine for a while.  This happens on both C31 clients I have.

#9 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

If if remove power from the client, it wil start up and display -- eventually stopping and saying it cannot find a server. It will never find the server until the HR34 is restarted. after that it works fine for a while. This happens on both C31 clients I have.

That doesn't sound like a handshake issue. Check the barrels on your wall plates and make sure they're orange or blue. The clear barrels that come on most cheap wall plates have a tendency to inhibit communication between server and clients.

#)

#)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c31, genie mini, troubleshooting, lockup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...